Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am planning on buying a new mini-14 here next week and would like some feedback as what to look for and what to look out for when buying a new gun.
i am wanting to build my gun into an assualt rifle, if for no other reason than to look cool when i am shooting targets with my buddies!
what accessories are a must have and what ones suck?

·
Registered
203 Posts
An assault rifle doesn't have to look cool. Many moons ago a Model 98 Mauser was an assault rifle. Check your rules from the Sep. 94 rules regarding assault rifle specifications. Of the People by the People and for the People!. Mr G. Man don't play games on the net!

·
Registered
30 Posts
A true "assault" rifle must be select fire capable. Only the jerks in Congress catagorize semi-autos' as "assault weapons" even some shotguns.
AU2

·
Registered
217 Posts
We'll help but we need the details as well!!:) What do you plan on using this gun for?? hunting? plinking? Do you plan on having a scoped ranch rifle or a standard mini?? How much $$ are you going to spend?? Thanks

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
First define ultimate in these terms: 1) Performance, 2) Appearance, 3) Cost. Then we can steer ya in the right direction. If it were easy or cheap then we would all have the ultimate mini. Most of us have to settle for making our mini's the best we can, for as cheep as we can, and we have done a pretty good job so far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well!! What do you plan on using this gun for?? hunting? plinking? Do you plan on having a scoped ranch rifle or a standard mini?? How much $$ are you going to spend?? ThanksTE]

i will use the gun for mostly plinking.
what is the difference between a standard mini and a scoped ranch rifle? i plan on using a hi-power scope. so i can see what i am shooting. i have a 3x9 power scope on my 22 and it is just not enough...
i would like to use the gun for deer hunting also, but have heard a few things against that on this board so far.
as for how much money... not enough. i am mostly looking for some bolt on stuff that can improve the accuracy and the looks and function of the gun. ex.muzzle break, bi-pod, hi-cap mags and some of the other parts you can get.
the bull barrels and are out of my range for now.

overall, just want a fun gun for half the price of an AR-15.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
The Ranch mini is better suited for a scope, it ejects brass to the right, the receiver is groved for a scope, and 1" scope rings are included. The mini-14 is too small for deer, and is illegal to hunt deer with in some states. It is more suited for coyote, bobcat, prariedogs etc. It is an outstanding plinker cause its fun to shoot, and ammo is cheep. I suguest you get one first, and shoot it some to see what it will do for ya before you order a bunch of add ons, then you can decide what you want to add. As far as scopes go the ranch will take up to a 42mm objective lens. I find my leupold 3-9x40mm just right for up to 200 - 300 yds. I have a 6-24x44 with a 5 inch sun shade , but it is way too much scope for my mini. It would look like a cannon mounted on top! Now all you have to decide is: do I want the Stainless Steel, or Blued model? Synthetic stock, or wood? decisions, decisions.:confused:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, so if i want to use a scope i need to get the ranch model?

now what about a muzzle break? are there good ones and bad ones? i read a thread about one that is based off the ak-47 design and they had good things to say about it. do muzzle breaks work good on stock guns or do you have to have a bunch of other stuff done to make it worth it?

also there is lots of talk about trigger work? is this just to make it easier to pull the trigger, thus helping to keep from pulling the gun while shooting?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
iam, if you want a scope I'd recommend the ranch model, you won't have to buy a base, or rings, it comes with the ranch model. It will save ya some bucks.

A muzzle brake helps take the whip out of the flimsy ruger barrel. Mine cut my 100 yd groups in half. I got the Black warrior Double muzzle brake from cheaper than dirt $19.95. There are others that probably work as well. I would not recommend a flash hider, as they don't seem to work as well plus they are illegal in some states. They are easy to install. Just drive out the front sight roll pin, slip on the brake over the sight blade, and install the supplied longer pin. If it is a little loose on your barrel wedge in a thin brass shim to take up the slack (auto parts) Mine fit tight. I rubed in some oil so the Stainless would match my mini. looks good.

The average ruger trigger pull is 11 lbs. My trigger was reduced to 3 1/2 lbs. Your right, it will improve your accuracy, as you can't squeeze the 11 lb trigger without moving the barrel. Even with a sand bag! Only .010" of an inch will move you 1" at 100 yds. Some guys don't care, the ammo is cheep if they miss they just shoot till they hit it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
dude, I have a 30 ranch but I have it set for two configurations that may give you some ideas for your 14. sniper mode and SHTF mode: In sniper mode I put on one Leupold Vari-X3 4-10X scope, it's not tactical though... they're a little pricy. Leupold scopes are absolutely dependable and well worth the $300. also in this set up I have a Harris bipod mounted on the front strap anchor ($100?). I have the Ruger-issue stock and also a fake collapsible from Ram-Line - it's welded open - but it has the pistol grip which is nice ($40). If you really want to go nuts you can glass in the bedding and get one of those comp barrels put on, but thats gonna run you about the same cost as the gun. For that money you can just get yourself a long barrel Remmington or something. Anyway, it shoots pretty good groups at 300 yards - it can hit beer bottles just about every shot which works for me..I'm not one of those .5" MOA guys. In SHTF mode, you want to put more lead on the target more quickly and still be able to see what's going on around you, so I drop the Harris, and loose the Leupold. I put on a BSA 1X42 red dot scope ($90) mounted on an Eagle QD scope mount ($50) - the Ruger rings come off with the Leupold. In my state you can't have any mags over 10 rnd, so I tape two of them together with elect. tape for a faster change. Of course I have the muzzle break -flash hider combo on all the time. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Let's keep those ideas rolling! I learned a couple of things from a book on accurizing the M14. The mini-14 doesn't have a guide bracket for the op-rod, I'm trying to figure out how to add something like that, adjustable and bolt-on.

KC

·
Registered
419 Posts
A 3x9 power on a .22 and still not enough?:( I think a 4x is about max for a Mini, unless you like to have the feeling you are shooting at stuff 20 yards away.:)
Guess I lucked out with my trigger as it's 5 1/2 lbs. from the factory, still I will probably have it lightened.
I'd start add ons with a muzzle brake, Smith Enterprises makes one that looks to be good, also Chief AJ has one. The AK brakes are loud but have good function.
The 30 is better suited for deer and is made to be scoped, like the Ranch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts