Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I was directed here by a friend for help with this.

In the mid 80's my dad acquired this mini-14. SN 184-72XXX. I took ownership of it in the early 90's and shot the hell out of her. In the late 90's I found the Federal Ordinance underfolding stock and decided to go that route because it reminded me of the A-team. lol! Seriously, this has never been my 'go-to' rifle so it's just been a conversation piece for the past decade more than anything.

Recently, I decided to revamp things, just ordered a hogue overmold stock and looking for an ultimak top rail. And of course, I'd like to put a strut on it but that's where I ran into a head scratcher. What is this gun???

I have never dove into mini-14 history, but always thought the 1980's GB's were side-folders. As far as I know, this was not an original side-folder. And I'm guessing there is no good way to mount a strut stabilizer to this style of gas block that would make any difference...

If this is somehow a GB model, would the trace of something being mounted to the barrel (between the front sight and gas block) indicate that it had a bayonet attachment at some point in its life? Because it looks like something was mounted there.

Any recommendations on what to do here? I'd like to stabilize the barrel, but if this is a hard-to-find configuration I'm not sure I want to mess with it...

And sorry about the pics, phones fault.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for clarification on the barrel marking bwraven.
I know what the underfolder is, I bought it 10 years ago.

The gas block has been on it since my dad bought it in 84 or 85. Is there a chance that it is factory?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks again!
I'll email True Shot and see what they say.
So far, I haven't been able to locate a picture of a strut attached to this style gas block. Which makes sense since I don't know what you would anchor it to? If simply bolting on a couple of clamps and a stiffening rod will improve the precision of a hot mini barrel, then I'm all in.. But it seems that it should be anchored to the gas block to make any real improvements. I have zero experience with barrel struts, so hoping for good news.

· Registered
2,010 Posts
Hi badhorsie! Here's the scoop on struts and the side-swivel gas blocks...

Barrel struts do not have to be anchored to the gas block in order to work (I'm referring to 2-clamp configurations only for the moment). The stabilization comes from the attachment of the clamps to the barrel.

The role of the rear set-screws is to prevent slippage. Any slippage at all, no matter how minute, seems to render the strut functionally useless, almost like it's not even there. I have seen this many times.

There are other ways to prevent slippage. For example, every Accu-strut comes with a tube of special cylinder-locking Loctite, to be used inside the clamp surface in case slippage is encountered. Often-times this is sufficient. In instances where this is not enough, a special "Optional Security Procedure" is recommended, which is nothing more than drilling counterbore dimples in the gas block to countersink the set-screws. This obviously cannot be performed if there is no center flange to drill into.

So, to summarize a strut will work on this type of rifle so long as security of the installation can be guaranteed.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kkina - Thank you for the reply. I just came across the ACCU strut LT. Looks good! Wondering if I could machine a slip fit insert for that notch and bore out another slip fit groove for the tip of the gas rod feature? Seems that could be enough to clock off of?

kwg - This Mini is a mystery to me. I don't remember my dad doing anything to it other than adding the fiber optic sight, which I'm now going to locate to a top fore rail. Other than the underfolder I have it now, I haven't changed anything else, so if it was by chance used, it couldn't have been used for very long. I remember my dad buying it no later than 85'. And apparently thats when it was born..

· Registered
9 Posts
Back in the late 70s or early 80s, Ruger made factory side folders that were NOT GBs. Standard pinned front sight and no bayonet lug. I do not recall where the front sling swivel was on these folders. The GBs came with either the standard wood stock or the factory wood side folder, both versions with the front sight/bayonet lug.

Around that time the Oklahoma Highway Patrol ordered GBs for their troopers. They came with bayonet lug/front sight, and standard full wood stocks, only with a rubber recoil pad in lieu of the curved buttplate. also an "I" cut in the buttstock like an M-1 Carbine, for the sling.

· Registered
186 Posts
That doesn't look like a factory side mount front gas block to me. Not my pic, (member Rem8's) but here's what the factory side mounts look like. It's the same as what's on my AC556.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Appreciate the input frogman!
I'm not at all familiar with all these different versions, but all the older GB gas blocks I have seen Google-pics of, look like mine...

...then there are about a hundred other pics of fake GB's...

It's okay though, I think I figured out a way to mount a strut on this beast without doing any mods to the gun. That's all I was after.

· Banned
7,380 Posts
Badhorsie: you have a factory non-GB side folder mini. If your dad is the original owner he removed the original stock to install the underfolder. If you have access to his old residence you might find the original stock laying around somewhere, if it wasn't sold or traded off. It might be worth your while to track down an original stock if you can find one at pre-crazy prices.

If your putting the ultimak rail on this mini, I don't know why you would need the accustrut. They both do the same thing. (As does the Amega rail). Good luck with your'e project.

· Registered
186 Posts
Badhorsie: you have a factory non-GB side folder mini. If your dad is the original owner he removed the original stock to install the underfolder. If you have access to his old residence you might find the original stock laying around somewhere, if it wasn't sold or traded off. It might be worth your while to track down an original stock if you can find one at pre-crazy prices. Good luck with your'e project.
How do you know that Badhorsie has an original, factory gas block? The one that I posted in Rem8's photo has a lower flange. The one on my all original AC556 also has the same flange. Badhorsie's does not have the flange. Did Ruger use two different casting molds for the side mount gas block?

Badhorsie, have you had Ruger run the serial number to see if they can tell you how the rifle was originally configured?

The reason I want to know it's aftermarket or not, is because if it is, I want to find out who made it, so I can try to source another.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.