Perfect Union banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to build a gun cabinet in a so called hidden place. Theres a small are in my closet that was left open. Its 30" deep and 18" wide, it also goes from floor to ceiling, which i wanted to build the cabinet 80" tall to have some storage area on the floor and 1 shelf up. So 30x18x80 is all outside dimensions. I just dont know what wood to use for this. I figure some type of hardwood plywood, but i figure i will need 2 sheets of it. I will not make a door for it because no one will know its there unless they know where its at.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I may just use 2 sheets of 1/2"x4'x8' Red Oak Plywood. Kinda costly at $37.97 per sheet and 9% taxes, but i think its worth it to get all my guns out of sight and in one place along with all my ammo and accessories.
Now ive got to become a carpenter, i have no idea of how to make it look good. I can make it function, but looks i have no clue!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
If its hidden, use whatever malarial will work to blend in with its surroundings. If the closet is finished in sheetrock then sheetrock is what the outside finish should be, even if its put up over a plywood or metal door.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well here is what i ended up with. I really like the full length opening drawer guides. There also the more expensive ones and theres no slop in them! Ive got to figure out still what to use for my rests and get a glass door for the gun section. I know its hidden but i didnt like the completely hidden look and itll be hard enough to find anyways.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Looks good!

I would have tried to build it out of a fire proof material myself.
But Wood always looks nice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts