Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ranch or standard?.......Scope or Iron sights?......Both?...Best aftermarket sights?.......I'm leaning towards the ranch model with plastic furniture but .......you guesed it I am concerned with the rear sight issue....are they that bad?......How are the XS sight system ghost ring sights for the ranch model?......I have a Tasco pro point 3 sitting around ....good on the mini?......I'm looking foward to your responses and I will have many more questions in the future.........Oh yea How much money am I looking at for the set up minus the scope.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would go standard just because I actually perfer the notch site.

but if you live in a free state you might just want to get a AK-47, not that a mini isn't good its just AKs have tons of hi caps availiable and ammo is dirt cheap.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Woah there fast eddie. Welcome to the forum. If your not going to use a scope then I'd go with the std (better rear sight), but if you already know your going to use a scope a ranch comes with a intergral base, and rings, and ejects the brass out the side rather than up into the scope. You can use the search function, and enter key words to research rear sights, and other items. I have seen mini-14's for $469 new at gun shows, or $499 at walmart, recently.

You can put a Willams sight on the Ranch (see Reloaders mini in the forum), and you can put a scope on the std. mini, but ya have ta buy a base, and rings.

Greg, correct me if I'm wrong, dosen't the AK shoot the same ammo as the mini-14, and mini-30?

·
Registered
821 Posts
I'd go with a standard,and put a B-Square scope mount.Then you have the best of both worlds! If for some reason you can't or don't want to use the optics,the iron sights are clear. While a ranch rifle makes it easier to mount a scope,if for some reason you can't use it,you're screwed.I don't care what you might have heard,the B-square mount is very sturdy,and will hold zero very well. Check my pic in the album,"my baby".

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Originally posted by cajungeo

Greg, correct me if I'm wrong, dosen't the AK shoot the same ammo as the mini-14, and mini-30?
yeah your right the ak shoots the same round as the mini 30
but they do make a few AK's that shoot 223

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ammo for the 223 is only about $15 more on 1000 rounds. Not enough to make much difference.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Only thing is the Mini-30 is a little sensitive to the import ammo particularly the wolf. The steel cases and inconsistent differences in the caliber have a tendency to wear down the barrel and chamber quicker than normal brass cased ammo. I like the cheetah ammo since it is brass cased but still cheaper than its american counterparts. It is simply harder to obtain.

·
Registered
216 Posts
FAST EDDIE,
I live in NYC (Brooklyn, ~Bensonhurst) and I've just got myself a Mini. Owning a gun is a hassle here - resources are few and not much help. Also, very few people own rifles, so advice and demonstration are hard to come by.

Would you be interested in cooperation, sharing info and experience? If so, post some info about youself like where you live, what your plans are and your e-mail.

Have you found a decent range to shoot at? Know a gunsmith?

As for the selection, you have to decide what role your Mini is going to play.
If it's military/defence - regular would be better since you need good iron sights. You can always get a scope for Mini that will allow you to use iron sights.
You are not going to hunt deer in NY with 223 ammo and there are no varmints in NYC to shoot at 300 yards.
The stock does not matter since you will most likely swap it for an inexpensive nice aftermarket stock like Hogue anyway.

V.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts