Perfect Union banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. Newer mini14 owner. Picked up a used 183 series 6 months ago. Super fun piece that I fell immediately in love with and think I will keep as a lifer next to my enfield. As a MD born and bred individual I got this as an alternative to an AR..........however I do now have 3 of those, but the mini just has soul to it. Quick light-hearted disclaimer about myself: I am from the a-team generation, however I never really watched it as a kid, so I didnt know the connection until an older sister pointed it out to me as an a-team gun when I showed it to her. Anyhow........hey everybody

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Welcome to the forum from a southern neighbor in Central Virginia! I have a 181 series Mini I bought used in 1980 (built in 1977). It was my first firearm and is still my all-time favorite. The early models (like yours) had - IMHO - much finer workmanship than today's (even though they be more accurate out of the box).

Are you still in the commie state of Maryland? Restrictions there - even for Minis - are like putting a one-barrel carburetor on a 426 Hemi...But yes, Minis have a soul and are the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I much prefer the early Minis due to their workmanship, but their accuracy can vary. There are fixes for that should you wish to pursue. You can even get a factory folder just like the A-Team's should you want to pursue and the commie government allows it. For me, I prefer the soulful wood-and-blued look.

Some "solutions" on this forum may or may not apply to your 183. There were some significant changes between the 183 and early models and the Ranch Rifle and then the later 580+ series with a tapered barrel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, whoa is me Im still in MD........and yes things stink.I did order the ATI strikeforce folder yesterday...........but I love the wooden stock and felt a bit of regret after submitting the payment,lol. Mini's are good to go here accept with a folding stock.......so the ATI was out of principle;) An accu-strut is in the plans, but as of the moment the mini has hit everywhere ive pointed it. After we bought the mini, we did 3 "20% incomplete" AR's.....again, out of principle,wink wink.....so the additional funding for the 183 went into those, but they are all done now so back to the mini. Maybe one day I can find a mini with a beat up stock for the strikeforce..........

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Yep, whoa is me Im still in MD........and yes things stink.I did order the ATI strikeforce folder yesterday...........but I love the wooden stock and felt a bit of regret after submitting the payment,lol. Mini's are good to go here accept with a folding stock.......so the ATI was out of principle;) An accu-strut is in the plans, but as of the moment the mini has hit everywhere ive pointed it. After we bought the mini, we did 3 "20% incomplete" AR's.....again, out of principle,wink wink.....so the additional funding for the 183 went into those, but they are all done now so back to the mini. Maybe one day I can find a mini with a beat up stock for the strikeforce..........
I hear ya there! I have an FDE ATI stock I got several years ago, mostly because I could put a bi-pod on it and a red-dot sight. It stayed on for about a year and did well in that respect, but was uncomfortable shooting for a southpaw and much more ungainly than a factory wood or synthetic stock and at least a pound heavier. Made my lightweight Mini carbine into a heavy clunker.

Shoot your Mini for a while to see if you need an AccuStrut. I decided (after buying one) that my 181GB was fine enough for me without it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts