Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the board, but I have lurked for hours in the past looking for info. I just bought a new Kimber Pro Carry ii. The firearm feels solid and is a pretty good fit for my large hands although I am in the middle of retraining my trigger finger not to over reach.

I have had one 1911 full size in the past and I am glad to have a new one now. When I purchased the firearm, I cleaned it, and I promptly took it to the range and fired 266 rounds through her with four different kinds of ammo; Winchester White Box, Blazer, Blazer Brass, and Federal.

On my targets I favor to the left just about 3" off centerline at 15 yards!!! I can get a 3" group but it is to the right. Any suggestions???

I had two failures to eject but only with the factory mag. I tried two Kim-Pro 8 rounders with 0 issues.

I also had something interesting happen with 4 ejections. All four, which were spread out through the shooting session, came out of the pistol and binged me right dead center in the forehead!!! One of them drawing blood. Any suggestions???

Finally I went back to the shop and bought two more Kim-pro Mags and headed to the range. I had two failures to close the slide all the way with one of the new mags, but managed to avoid the shell casings hitting me in the forehead although I had a couple of close calls. I shot about 150 rounds in that session. Any Suggestions?

I really like this firearm and 1911's in general. I plan on a few mods, but I would like to get these issues straightened out first.

Glad to be here and Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
534 Posts
To get your POI to POA drift your rear sight in the same direction as you want to move your POI. I would be surprised if your magazines are causing your failures to eject but then anything is possible. Examine your extractor and see if it is chipped, has a burr, is canted, or miss ground. I would expect Kimber to have pretty good customer service at their prices; call them and see what they suggest. Other pistol smiths here will undoubtedly have more expert help and suggestions that are beyond my ability.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Oh, this one's easy. You're shooting to the left 3"? Not enough finger on the trigger. There's a chart somewhere that shows how you grip and shoot a pistol affects where the bullet hits. If it's low all the time, you are anticipating recoil, etc.

Jim

401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

I worked on my trigger finger at home and yesterday at the range. I am left handed so I believe I was giving it to much finger and made the adjustment. I used 6 inch circles at 15 yards and I am on my way to correcting the problem or part of it anyway.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Kimber suggests 500 rnd of fmj ball for break in so that parts may wear in and minor issues work there way out. I suspect too much extractor tension but it may relax after your break in period. Keep count of your rnds fired, helps with maint. (recoil spring in a Kimber Pro carry II needs changing at 850 rnds IIRC). I use to own the Pro Carry II and loved it but I made a trade for a 5" Kimber without the Swartz safety.

Yes, do wait to make mod's until she's running 100% or you won't know if it is your mod's or not.

Too much or too little finger will shift your point of aim, my experience of 5 Kimbers I've owned is that they're dead on from factory. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll get the hang of it;)

Beware of the split follower design like Chip McCormick shooting star mags as they will ding and gouge your Alum. frame (I found out first hand). The split design is fine in a steel frame but not Alum. as many like myself found out. The follower moves slightly fwd after the last shot putting a ding just below the feed ramp.

Check out www.1911forum.com great info and people there as well-

401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kimber suggests 500 rnd of fmj ball for break in so that parts may wear in and minor issues work there way out. I suspect too much extractor tension but it may relax after your break in period. Keep count of your rnds fired, helps with maint. (recoil spring in a Kimber Pro carry II needs changing at 850 rnds IIRC). I use to own the Pro Carry II and loved it but I made a trade for a 5" Kimber without the Swartz safety.

Yes, do wait to make mod's until she's running 100% or you won't know if it is your mod's or not.

Too much or too little finger will shift your point of aim, my experience of 5 Kimbers I've owned is that they're dead on from factory. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll get the hang of it;)

Beware of the split follower design like Chip McCormick shooting star mags as they will ding and gouge your Alum. frame (I found out first hand). The split design is fine in a steel frame but not Alum. as many like myself found out. The follower moves slightly fwd after the last shot putting a ding just below the feed ramp.

Check out www.1911forum.com great info and people there as well-
I use the kim-pro mags which look just like the Chip McCormicks. What should I look for as far as damage to my firearm?

·
Registered
661 Posts
I use the kim-pro mags which look just like the Chip McCormicks. What should I look for as far as damage to my firearm?
I'm not familiar with the kim-pro type, I tried finding a picture of the follower they use but was unable to determine anything from the pix I saw. Look at the area just below the feed ramp on the frame for dings, this is the area that gets beat up. I used mecgar mags with an enclosed rounded follower that solved the problem.

The guys at www.1911forums.com in the Kimber sub-forum should be able to confirm or deny problems with the Kim-Pro type mags in alum. framed models. Theres a stickie with pix of frame damage using McCormick mags in the alum. frame 1911's.

401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks i headed over to 1911.com and I am registered. I put my question out there and the general consensus says don't worry about the Kim-Pro mags. I'll look for the dings though.

What is interesting though is the stock factory mag has the split follower without the skirt so from everything I am reading it would be a big no no to use. Why would Kimber supply a mag that would create a warranty issue???

·
Registered
661 Posts
Yep, when I bought my alum framed Pro Carry II they supplied it with an unskirted split follower type of mag. I don't think Kimber realized it was an issue early on but why they continue now will remain a mystery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.