Perfect Union banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today while working up loads for my scoped series 582 RR I had trouble getting a decent sight picture once the barrel heated up. I noticed that groups from a hot barrel only opened up about 1/2" going from 1.5" to 2"@100yds. There was no wind so the heat waves caused dancing of the target & crosshairs which made it difficult to get a good sight picture. I suspect some of my groups would have been tighter without the distortions. I would blow air to sweep the waves away between shots but that interrupted my cheek weld. Would a non ventilated handguard stop it? Does anyone make one?

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
The only option for a "non-ventilated" handguard, AFAIK, is an UltiMAK. That is, unless you want to mod an M14 handguard to fit your Mini (there's a thread around here somewhere...).

A handguard which doesn't have any holes would really only buy you time, IMO. At some point even that will heat up enough to radiate heat waves. I've always just slowed down my shooting and/or waited a few minutes between shooting groups to let the barrel cool down.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate your comments. I was shooting on a timed range, wanted to finish before the next 20 minute cycle and had to get back home so I finished my string to beat the clock. It wasn't rapid fire but steady fire. Lesson learned. I think I'll stick with the factory hand guard and just slow down. I'm happy with the groups I got (mostly 1 1/4-2"@100yds).

·
Banned
2,750 Posts
I'm using a Amega rail mount .It also provides heat absorbing characteristic by the fashion in which it is mounted to the MINI 14 .Via gas block & mid barrel clamping .This also aids in a more rigid barrel /less whip and stringing due to barrel movement caused by inherent vibrations & harmonics .Acting as a barrel tensioning device.The added benefit of a heat sink as well .

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
1-1/4 to 2" is pretty good @ 100 yds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts