Perfect Union banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some from Century Arms. 148gr 680 rounds for $63.00 and the price includes shipping. The only thing is it is corrosive.

:2guns:

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
On the note of corrosive ammo, what's the best way to clean a rifle after shooting the stuff? I've never dealt with it but have just inherited a Polish M44 and in case I should get the corrosive ammo I'd like to know the best way to clean it out.

:sniper:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Hot water.
The corrosive agent is a salt compound from the primer.
Hot water patch, clean as normal, and oil. The water dosn't need to be hot, but it works faster if it is.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Thanks. That's what I figured but as I said, I wasn't sure. This is the first weapon I've ever had that I may come in contact with corrosive ammunition.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The best way to clean corrosive is 1/3 ammonia to 2/3 water. Run a patch down the bore before you leave the range. Then clean normally when you get home. Works great.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you don't want to mess with ammonia mixture, windex will also do the job

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Contacted AIM and they said theirs is corrosive. It doesn't seen to be a big deal, just want to make sure I clean it after shooting.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by 22WRF
If you don't want to mess with ammonia mixture, windex will also do the job
From what I've read not all windex has ammonia in it you have to read the lable to find out.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FYI - It's been mentioned at other sights that all surplus ammo is corrosive, even if it's sold as non-corrosive. The only imported non-corrosive is Wolf ammo.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Originally posted by Swede@Jun 21 2003, 07:57 AM
FYI - It's been mentioned at other sights that all surplus ammo is corrosive, even if it's sold as non-corrosive. The only imported non-corrosive is Wolf ammo.
It's a safe bet to consider all ammunition of eastern european origin to be corrosive. People have gotten Wolf, S&B and Barnaul ammo that proved to be corrosive (to some degree) after testing.

BTW, the S&B ammo is terrific stuff. Whether it is or isn't corrosive makes no diff as long as you clean your weapon immediately after firing. I punch the bore (with ammonia) at the range and it's much less obnoxious when done outdoors.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Formula 409 and hot water works great for getting the salts out, cleans and degreases in one step. My Hakims get stripped and soaked in the mix after any corrosive ammo, that's the damnable misery about autos, so many affected parts. <_<

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yet another suggestion for cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo:

- the GREEN colored Windex
- or Simple Green.

I know several people that swear by it - I use it also and you just squirt a bit down the barrel and wipe it out - cleans like a champ - PLUS it's cheap, pre-mixed, and easy to use.

YMMV of course...

alow

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I think I get the idea. It's no big deal.....just clean it in some dilution of ammonia and water.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Any water based cleaning regimen will do the job on the corrosive redidues left behind by shooting mil surplus ammo. Sudsy ammonia and Windex work better than plain water because they contain detergents. Ammonia and ammoniated cleaners also attack copper fouling. Blast the jacket material right out of the bore, they do. Since corrosive residue can be trapped beneath layers of jacketing material, getting the bore REALLY CLEAN after shooting corrosive ammo cannot be over emphasized.

It takes a lot longer for seriously deep pitting to set into a barrel than most people believe. But, why mess with it? I clean mine at the range before I pack up to go home. That way, if real-life jumps between me and my milsurps--at least I know the rifle isn't quietly rusting away because I didn't get a chance to clean it when I got home from the range.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by Sniper@Dec 18 2003, 02:07 PM
I think I get the idea. It's no big deal.....just clean it in some dilution of ammonia and water.

You got it sniper. The ammonia neutralizes the corrosive salts but it needs to be diluted. I bring a small bottle of it along with a sectionalized Swedish cleaning kit I bought from Cheaper than dirt for $2.99. I've been using it for awhile now with no problems.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts