1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have a brick of this stuff and the stories are true! I fired one in my yard from a ruger mark 2 and my wife didn't even look up from her chores 15 feet away. The box however says right on it DO NOT FIRE FROM A RIFLE as a bullet may become lodged in the barrel. I of course was intent on seeing if this was true. I fired a round from a stock 10/22 and the bullet successfully left the barrel and NO NOISE was heard at all. The problem I see is cycling, there is not enough umph to recycle a round through. My solution was to use my old remington trombone action 22. I put 14 in the tube and fire away.

Upon disassembling a round I found no powder but a large amount of reddish priming compound, about double the normal charge for a 22 LR.

Use caution dont take anyones word for granted try it in your own weapons in a controlled environment.:usa:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ivanimal, I asked a guy at work today, we talk guns alot, and he said they were so quiet the 10/22's action made all the noise. He said that 25 yds was about max to shoot pest birds, and the 20 grn, bullet you have to watch for ricochet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
:ar15: I agree with lts it will only take one lodged bullet to make for a dangerious time

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the warning guys. The article in SGNews was by P.J. Carson, he fired a brick thru 2- 10/22's, with no problem, but maby he was lucky. He should have included the manufactures warning, in the article, not to fire in rifles. Maby he didn't even see it. You are right all it takes is one lodged bullet.:eek:

·
Registered
279 Posts
An idiot he may be but there is plenty of pressure behind these bullets to fire through a rifle. I have shot the CB Longs for years and the sound and recoil is almost exact. The difference is that the CB uses about 7 flakes of single base powder and a basic primer mixture. The Colobri' uses a more severe primer compound. I would say that it is safer based on the delay of ignition inherent with powders.

I would not think to endanger myself for a good time. The testing I have done satisfies me. Do as you wish. :usa:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've been using Colibris for several years, and have had no problem with shooting in rifles. I feel the warning, while something to keep in mind, is more due to possible litigation. It must be used in a bolt-action or singleshot rifle, to realize the full degree of quietness. These rounds are noticeably louder in handguns, especially revolvers. In a revolver, it sounds like a Co2 pellet pistol. In a rifle, you will hear the "tink" of the firing pin, and a healthy "blap" of the round hitting target. The effective range is short, and accuracy really falls of over 15 yards. At 25 yards, I generally get 4 inches, and it is very wind sensitive.
At about 350 FPS the Colibri is slower than a good .22 pellet pistol, and not as accurate. The Super Colibri is rated at about 550 FPS, and would be the better small-varmint round.
The only "hunting" experience I have is in using a Colibri at point blank on a 'Possum, hitting him right between the eyes. He shook it off and ran. I did find him later, dead, but it was not a clean kill. I would limit the Colibri to mice, rats and small birds. A squirrel would be okay, if you can get close.
For pest elimination at fairly close range, and where noise isn't such a limiting factor, Aguila's SSS 60 grain round is definitely superior. The SS tends to key-hole in most .22 rifles, but on pests at close range, this merely adds to the damage done to the critter.
After firing many bricks of Colibris, I can say they are fun to play with. But for serious pest work, a good .22 pellet rifle is actually better.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I would think that as far as firing these in rifles it would be like anything else. The condition of the rifle is a major factor. Since you're talking lower pressures, the type of rifle, barrel length and type would all play into it's effectivness.

:sniper:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've fired over two bricks in a Mossberg bolt action, but not in my 10/22 yet. I have killed squirrels with these cartriges at 30+ yards and have shredded coffee cans hung from the clothesline at the same distance. The low noise factor is impressive. I just sent for brick # 4 from 'Cheaper Than Dirt' Wed. I don't live in the city, but I do have a neighbor or two several hundred yards away and these Colibri's make for a fun afternoon without getting anybody upset, they are none the wiser.
Also, there arfe two types of this ammo, one made for pistol in a purple box,states "pistols only" the rifle ammo comes in a red box .

The Chef

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience Chef. The article in SGN didn't say there were 2 types i.e. 1 for pistol, and 1 for rifle. Would the one for rifle be the Super Colibri, that bigdog mentioned?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have also bought some of these.... They are extremly quiet....but I noticed that they drop very quickly....Also not enough suffecient kill power.:2guns: :ar15: :rapid:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought I had discovered something new. It seems everyone has shot some but lil ole me. Gottsta get me some ta try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I honestly think that they are too expensive for what they are... I bought some... I think 20 bucks for 300 rnds:ar15: :sniper:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just a couple of boxes for special ocasions so as not to wake the neighbors will do it for me.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will try them when I get my 10/22 back in shooting condition. Have been buisy recently, so haven't gotten to work on it. Will get to work on it this weekend

·
Registered
134 Posts
I used it in my 10/22. I would recomend the super for a rifle. The regular stuff varies wildly in bullet drop. I had to set my scope to 300 yards to get close. I haven't tried the super yet. It is spookie quiet. No need for a silencer.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I LOVE the Colibri ammo! I found it about a year and a half ago and have shot just this side of 2000 rds of it. The Starlings and Common Grackles in my neighborhood know and fear me. I set up a plinking gallery in my basement (with GOOD bullet traps and backstops) and have used it not only to practice but I have taught basic rifle safety and marksmanship to several of my 11-14 year old neighbors (with their parents consent and/or involvement, of course). Birds consistently die at ranges of about 10yds. Anything longer is pushing the accuracy and power of this little pipsqueak. The close shots really promote good fieldcraft anyway.
I can vouch for the regular grade's tendancy to lodge about one in 50 rds halfway down the barrel, but only in my Remington m510 with its 24" tube. My little Marlin m70 at 18" has never experienced this. Yet. You just have to pay attention to the report and the target. Not something to rapid fire. A thin plastic rod or a length of 12ga household wire in its insulative jacket goes with me wherever there is Colibri to deal with the inevitable failure. Nonetheless, the stuff is supreme fun. I buy it in 500rd bricks for 17.50 at the local Gun Shows.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts