Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if the current run on .223/5.56 (among other popular calibers) has impacted your shooting habits. I have a small amount of 223 saved up, maybe a few hundred rounds, but I haven't wanted to shoot it until things calm down.

I don't reload, but had heard it was less worthwhile for (previously) inexpensive 223 unless you're going for precise tailored loads, but I've been considering it lately. I'm assuming reloading supplies are also probably dried up for now.

When I've been at the range lately with other guns I havent seen one AR or Mini there shooting, when previously there was a lot.

What have you guys been doing?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been tempted to take my Mini out to the range, but with .223 at $15.99 a box I have resisted temptation. I have about 320 rounds stored up and Im going to keep it that way till things slow down.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I bought my second Mini 14 right after the election and before the SHTF. I sold my first one some 25 years ago. I would pick up a couple of boxes of ammo each time I went to Wally. I managed 120 rounds before everyone got sold out. I used 20 at the range making sure I could hit something. I have only 100 left which is maybe enough to stand off one zombie attack. So no, I'm not going to the range until things get back to normal and I can amass a few more hundred rounds.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have plenty of rounds on hand, since I reload, still have 1500 new brass cases for 5.56 that never have seen a primer and the same for my 7.62X39 for my Mini 30, but I'm not shooting as much, because of all the stupidity out there right now. Cant get primers anywhere and as for projectiles it's hit and miss. I still have to load my pistol rounds since I'm low on those, but I have enough primers and projectiles for those. It's just getting stupid out there

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used to try to replenish what I used in each range trip and get a few extra here and there when there was a good deal. I've been piling up on 7.62x54r, and shooting that, since its still available and cheap, don't want to be dealing with this again. I was sleeping on the job when the SHTF in December, I am kicking myself for not getting on top of things.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
As of now, I am completely shut down on training and get zero range time due to lack of ammo. Have a pretty good reserve in stock, saved for a really rainy day, but I'm not going to burn it up now. .22LR was my mainstay for training ammo, and I planned badly, since I figured service calibers would dry up, but not the humble .22LR. Boy was I wrong. A 10,000 round reserve of .22LR just plain is not enough when this sort of thing happens. Should've gotten 4-5 times that amount, and I will once the shortage eases.

Do have plans to start using the RWS34 .22 pellet rifle pretty heavily, and next month will knuckle under and pick up a good quality .22 pellet pistol so I can at least do something to keep in practice.

All the best,
Grumpy

·
Vigilant Curmudgeon
787 Posts
Ammo & preparedness

I saved for a rainy day. Its raining.
-_-

Reloading when re-run season on the BOOB--TUBE IS IN FULL SWING; omg HERE IT IS ALREADY.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
I bought my second Mini 14 right after the election and before the SHTF. I sold my first one some 25 years ago. I would pick up a couple of boxes of ammo each time I went to Wally. I managed 120 rounds before everyone got sold out. I used 20 at the range making sure I could hit something. I have only 100 left which is maybe enough to stand off one zombie attack. So no, I'm not going to the range until things get back to normal and I can amass a few more hundred rounds.
Hi DDDWho;

If you're all the way down to 100 ctgs, definitely check Academy in addition to Wally World; even as few as 2 or 3 successful shopping trips could double your supply depending on the rationing in your area. Trick is that they restock at different times during the day - here, Academy stocks in the early morning, while Wally World stocks during the evenings. Ask the clerks and then when possible try to plan your shopping times around it. If you can swing by Academy on the way in to work (assuming they open at 8 and you have to be at work by 9) that's do-able.

Also, you can try phoning around before a drive. PITA sure, but I'm afraid the new normal has changed the rules on ammo availability.

All the best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
I went about this in many ways. Buying powder and bullets when available. Getting all the brass I could find or buy in the calibers that I had. Buying and selling reloading equipment and using the profits to buy more of the above. So powder, brass, primers, and bullets equals ammo. The only things stopping me at the range is the snow and the sub teens temperatures.

If you have a 1000 to load, you break it down into little bits. Size 20 every day. Prime while watching TV. After a while you have a lot of ammo. After a trip to the range, deprime, clean, and then sort. All ready for the next loading. I just traded the last of my M14 mags for more 5.56 LC brass. Every little bit helps.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I have 6000 rounds of .223 and 5.56 that I won't touch without being able to replace as I use it. I have some other rounds for training but have slowed down on the training a bit. I have been trying to buy two boxes of ammo for every one I shoot. So far 2.23 and 5.56 are still available though the price has gone up a bit. I am pretty good on ammo for my carry pieces.

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Hi DDDWho;

If you're all the way down to 100 ctgs, definitely check Academy in addition to Wally World; even as few as 2 or 3 successful shopping trips could double your supply depending on the rationing in your area. Trick is that they restock at different times during the day - here, Academy stocks in the early morning, while Wally World stocks during the evenings. Ask the clerks and then when possible try to plan your shopping times around it. If you can swing by Academy on the way in to work (assuming they open at 8 and you have to be at work by 9) that's do-able.

Also, you can try phoning around before a drive. PITA sure, but I'm afraid the new normal has changed the rules on ammo availability.

All the best,
Grumpy
22lr. The one caliber cheap enough to stock deep and alotta us dropped the ball on it.

on a side not... is ur RWS old enough to have been made in the good Germany?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hi DDDWho;

All the best,
Grumpy
I check Wally on line daily. I do not believe there is a .223/5.56 cartridge for sale in the Rio Grande Valley. I drove some 30 miles to a Wally that showed some in stock only to find the shelves bare when I get there. Two Academy's in the valley are 25 miles away in two different directions and they do not show inventory on line. If I discipline myself 100 rounds could conceivably last forever. I'll just set tight until something breaks.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
22lr. The one caliber cheap enough to stock deep and alotta us dropped the ball on it.

on a side not... is ur RWS old enough to have been made in the good Germany?
Hi whofarted;

Yep, I really dropped the ball on it. 2x large cans of .22LR with about 10,000 rounds total for "just in case" and a couple thousand practice rounds that had gotten run down to about 1000 practice rounds when this all hit and I was blindsided (did my emergency buys on M14 mags, PMags, Beretta M9 mags, AK mags, and centerfire ammo - not to mention one last AKMS at prepanic prices). When this ends, I'm going to build up 40-50,000 round .22LR stockpile.

Just picked up my RWS a year or two ago with the newish T06 trigger, so its just "made in Germany". Thought about one of the side-cockers this year or maybe that magnum 350 they make, but I think I'll get a webley air pistol first. And lots more pellets. Just did an inventory and I've only got about 4k on hand.

All the best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bought a second Mini (ranch to go with Tact.) just after the election and have steadily reduced 3000 rnd supply to 2000. Much of my training has been 10/22 and Mark III but 22 supply is getting short also. 40 S&W, 9 mm and 380 acp are also in short supply. Hoping this craziness stops after congressional inaction...

·
Registered
663 Posts
I managed to get my dad a Redding T7 Turret press on christmas and wow. We were able to get some Hornady titanium 45ACP dies, 2 lbs. of HS6, and ome LP primers before everything went nuts. So 45 is all were shooting now and I think were some of the very lucky ones who can afford to right now.

Before the shortage got really bad I managed to find some W231 and Unique at different times as well. And yesterday I spied a Hornady 223 2 die set for the regular price! I got one of the two there. The perks of living in a state of ~3 million ;)

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Supply and demand. The price will go up until demand drops. Save your empties. I have about seven bricks of .22. My dad has the mother load and he doesn't shot it much anymore. My brother has 30,000 plus rounds of 5MM. His favorite rim fire. I am a little on the short end of .17 HMR, but I don't shoot it too much. Otherwise I got what I need.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Bought a second Mini (ranch to go with Tact.) just after the election and have steadily reduced 3000 rnd supply to 2000. Much of my training has been 10/22 and Mark III but 22 supply is getting short also. 40 S&W, 9 mm and 380 acp are also in short supply. Hoping this craziness stops after congressional inaction...
Judging from the online sites, it could be a while. I have 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 on backorder with Midway and 2000 rounds of .22LR on backorder from cabelas (at almost 10 cents a pop after shipping!). Soonest I will see any of that is the end of February, and some of it isn't scheduled to arrive until June!

I really suggest you start shopping at Wally World when the supply trucks come in, if they're getting anything at all in your neck of the woods. Even though I'm boycotting Dick's after what they did to Troy Industries, I did scout the place the other day and they were pretty much cleaned out too - with no word on when anything is coming in. Don't think you have any Academys out in Kali, so no joy there.

Good luck on it!
Grumpy

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.