Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I am wondering is if anyone has done a head to head comparison using the same gun and ammo only changing out the strut? A couple of slow 5 shot groups and a 30 shot group (checking for heat warp) without a strut and the same for each type of strut would probably be adequate.

What prompted this question is another thread where a member is asked why he chose a particular strut and I didn't want to hijack the thread.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
To be a fair comparison, everything would have to remain constant. Like someone trying the 3 major brands of struts on the same Mini, same ammo, same everything.

I just got a Mo-rod in a trade. I don't see why it won't perform as good as an Accustrut, but it needs some "work" on the clamps before I use it. The clamps they use are really blocky and square edged, so I'm going to streamline them.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Sounds like a very expensive proposition. I doubt an idividual would do that alone.
I already have 2 of the 3 brands.
The only one I'd pay real money for though is the Accustrut.
As I said I got the Mo-Rod in a trade, it needs some modification so the clamps are not so ugly.
The Trueshot would need the same work done on the clamps, and someone would have to pay me to use that one. I just don't care much for the guy who makes them or his business attitude.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Tried both. Don't like either one. When the barrel on the 580 gets really hot it expands. The struts clamping force seems to restrict and deflect the barrel in another direction throwing the groups off.

I prefer the metal mass of the amegarail to be my...thermal radiator.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Tried both. Don't like either one. When the barrel on the 580 gets really hot it expands. The struts clamping force seems to restrict and deflect the barrel in another direction throwing the groups off.

I prefer the metal mass of the amegarail to be my...thermal radiator.
The Accu-strut uses special flex-clamps that limit the amount of clamping force to the barrel. The billet clamps that other products use can cause excessive clamping force, and also tend to add their own thermal stress distortion to the whole geometry.

·
Banned
7,948 Posts
When I first started looking at struts the Accu-strut made the most sense to me from an engineering standpoint. The Mo-rod is a fine product but the clamps appear a bit bulky. Don’t know about the True-shot. When I did employ the Accustrut the only issue I had was the loosening of the clamps over time I reckon due to heat/vibration. The green loctite became a pain to remove every time I remounted it. Alas, I have gone strutless now since I am only shooting steel at 50 yards. Dimpling the gas block is a must in my opinion to get the maximum benefit of any strut. If I were ever to go back I would go with the Accustrut Socom simply for looks.

Reactions: sandog

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lately I have been using my SSRanch in practical rifle matches at our local gun club. I have the SS Accu-Strut on it. It holds its zero through 30 shot strings where the gas block gets too hot to touch. I have the gas block dimpled and copious blue Locktite on the clamps and screws. It has not loosened in three “run & gun” matches where it is the only Mini-14 at the shoot. It has been flawless. I credit the strut for dinging the 300 yard steel just as well as the “other guns”.

Reactions: tcsafety
1 - 9 of 9 Posts