Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

From reading through this forum, Cajungeo and a few others have inspired me to bed my stock. I am going to order the video from Mike, along with a trigger job and gas bushings.

My question is....will the bedding compound adhear to my choate pist grip stock? I believe it is made of Fiberglass and plastic. Thanks!!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Bubba,
You just asked The same thing I wanted to know, but to be sure if you go to the gallery and look at the Marcos Morales Mini, Is that the stock you're talking about. If it is then I need to know the answer too. I've got the same.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you like your stock Greybear?

I really like the feel of the choate. Not being the brightest star in the sky, I just found out what the holes on the sides of the stock are.........I just ordered the stock reinforcement from Ruger. I bought the synthetic stock model, which doesn't have the reinforcement. Hey, I learn something new every day :)

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hey bubba. I got the same video before I bedded my mini. Mike shows you how to bed any stock. He beds a Buttler Creek Which as more plastic than most stocks, and shows the extra steps needed to bed such a stock.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, thanks for the info Cajungeo.

I figure if I take my time and follow the video, I should be able to do it.

If I can master my autococker (paintball gun), I should be OK with this :)

·
Registered
716 Posts
The main thing you have to remember with a plastic (as well as wooden) stock is that the epoxy compound must have some way of MECHANICALLY adhering itself to the stock material. Plastic is more "slippery" than wood and requires more mechanical locking locations to get the same binding.

Simply take your Dremel tool and a pointy bit (I used the cone shaped cutter that comes to a very sharp point) and dig little holes into your stock material in places where the compound will be applied. When applying the compound, use a tongue depressor or popsicle stick and squish the compound into the little holes. This provides 'grip points' for the epoxy to adhere to. Roughing the wood accomplishes pretty much the same effect, but I drilled little holes in my wood stock too. I also found places where my stock fit very tightly, and I knew it would result in thin, brittle, flaky compound. These areas, I removed substantial amounts of material so as to provide a more "robust" anchor of bedding compound. It is actually a creative process... And if you screw up, you just buy a new stock. Just kidding. If you screw up, you can just start over by using your Dremel again and removing some of the bedding compound.

I actually bedded my mini-30 twice because there were a couple spots I could see didn't fill in all the way. I just roughed up these areas as though it were original stock material, added some more compound and re-bedded it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I called Choate Machine to see what they recomended for bedding "THEIR" stocks and they told me to use Marine-Tex. It is available in most good hardware stores or ANY marine store... Best to use the Gray color (it also comes in white) and buy the smallest size cost around $8 bucks... You mix the whole thing (it is of course a 2 part epoxy and that way you don't have to measure anything) and the gray color blends nicely with the factory color of the stock... (If you read the instructions included with it, it will actually say "bedding of gun stocks")
All previous advice applies (roughing up the surfaces to adhere too...) and clean up with acetone or lacqer thinner, to remove any trace of oil etc... before actually bedding the stock... Also found Brownells aerosol release agent to be the best to keep action from sticking in the "fresly bedded stock"... AB

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Bubba, one thing I forgot to mention. If you use the Brownells, Acuraglass kit, get the "Gel" (green box). The Gel is a lot easier to apply. Just mix 50-50. Every thing you need is in the kit except model clay. It comes with black and brown dye so you can match the stock. You don't have to use the dye as it's covered by the action. I can't see my beding as its black like the stock. 1 kit will do about 4 rifles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts