Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to locate a stock reinforcement for 180 series Mini 14. This is part number M-7. I've checked with Numrich, Pittsburgh Handgun HQ and the Ruger Collector's Assn. with no luck.

I'm looking for anyone that either has one to sell me or can direct me to someone that does. Thank you.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hey Tim, we arn't ignoring ya, just trying to figure something out. I wonder whats the diff, in a M-7 and the newer MA00700? If ya can't buy one it looks pretty easy to fab one out of .065 sheet metal. A couple of bends, and 8 spot welds, or flush rivets for the extra gap at the recoil lugs. If it were me and I had to go this route, Id make one out of aluminum first for a templete, as alum is easy to work with and make shure the action will seat into the stock. Then make one out of steel. Just thought of another posibility, it you glass bedded the action to take up the gaps, especially around the recoil lugs, you might not even need a reinforcement for your stock. My Hogue didn't have one but the action was loose in there so I glass bedded it. Just trying to give ya some more options.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the info Cajungeo. The M-7 part is a little longer in the front hook part. It sticks up about a 1/4" before the bend to the front begins. My existing part has one of the screw holes stripped out. Dan at the Ruger Collector's Assn in Ohio suggested that I spot weld the screw hole, then drill and retap it. For me that may be the best way to go, we'll see.

I really do appreciate your input and I'll keep looking around.

Thanks......

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Oh, its not missing? just a striped out hole. Then I'd go with the spot weld. A welder may not even charge ya for that little spot. Ya know there is a quick, and dirty way to fix it. Lay the damaged hole over a vice, anvil, take a ball peen hammer and peen around the hole. This will expand the metal and close the hole somewhat, then either start the screw or tap the hole, and your done. Best of all no charge. If it dosen't work for ya, you can still get that little spot weld.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts