Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last friday I bought a Yugo 55 69 SKS. Been looking for one for a while. have seen some nice rebuilds by the monkeys at century. But the new unissued are hard to find these days.
My gun guy called me and said he got 5 nice SKS in. He had one saved for me that was in the shape i was looking for. When i got there he had the outside and the bore cleaned up so I could see all the nunbers matched and the bore was new.
Got it cleaned, oiled and took it out yesterday to see how it works.
I was very impressed! It is a way better shooter than my Mini 30 was out of the box. I had a bunch of different russian ammo that my Mini did not like. The SKS ate it like candy without any problems. Wasn't long before I was killing clay birds at 200 yards.. Then a rebel yell and a fixed bayonet charge.:D
Defanatly worth every penny of the $320 i paid for it... Now i gotta get one of those golf ball launchers so to make full use of my new weapon.:cool:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Even as much as they cost these days they are still some great shooting guns for the money. I just wished I would have had the foresight to have bought a crate of them when the Russian Laminated Stock Un-issued ones were running 79.00 fun dollars each! I mean what was I thinking? Oh yeah thats right I wasnt!!! Guess you live and you learn huh?

Enjoy, I know I would!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know what you mean. I rember the days of sub 100 dollar SKS well. Also cheap M1, M1 carbines. Why didn't I pick up a bunch? Well... I did pick them up, look at them think "Naaa, they will always be cheap ill get one later" Then put it back on the rack.:lol:
Oh well, at least i bought up a couple of Sagias back when they were cheap, before BO was elected.
I am really getting to like Russian block weapons. I plan on keeping my SKS in the stock form. Except i may get a scout scopes mount. Seems like a great mount with no modification or drilling to the gun. My old eyes really need optics for longer ranges. I found the golf ball launcher adapter $45.00 can get the blanks too.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Those Yugo's are built solidly and are very accurate. The only complaint I have is that they are a bit heavier and bulkier with the G/L, but that's just personal preference. I found a nice M59 (no G/L) a few years back and it fits my needs a little better. I sold the two I had with G/L's to my sons, who love them.

By the way Tommy, the correct model number for that piece is M59/66A. The "M59/66" designates it as having the G/L and sight mod, and "A" for the flip-up night sights. At least that's what I'm told, but things can still be wrong on the net.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I forgot to put the "A" in. You are right the A does mean the flip up night sight model. I cant believe after all these years my nite sights still glow in the dark.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Have one that I bought for a truck gun about 20 yrs ago for $75. It had a folding stock, scope,and bipod. Was sold on it after first shots--dead on at 200 yds. Still use an SKS but an "M" style now (uses AK mags).

·
Registered
228 Posts
When the Yugos first came into the US approximately 12-14 years ago some dealers were asking in the $350 range. A short time later the flood gates opened and the prices dropped to around $125 range for new-unissued. One of the biggest Yugo dealers I recall was the former "Inter Ordnance". They must have sold them by the 10's of thousands. My wife bought me a unissued M59/66 for Christmas for $129. I was so impressed I purchased another unissued one for the same price. The following Spring my friend wanted one so we both purchased an unissued one. I couldn't pass it by. When you think about it, a high quality military grade rifle NIB for $129, what a deal.

I still have all 3 yugo's. I use one for shooting and the other two are still new in the cosmoline. It's a joy to shoot. Very accurate and the nite-sites still glow. Happy customer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.