Perfect Union banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a 30 (189 series) with a used factory wood stock and plastic handguard that I picked up on ebay and the fit of the handguard isn't quite right. It keeps wanting to pop off and looking at the retaining clip I can see that the clip isn't quite reaching around the barrel. I don't think it is just a problem with the clip needing a little tweaking with pliers because it seems to be off by a little more than that.

So now I'm wondering if this is an old handguard from a thinner barreled 14. Was there any difference in outside diameter between the 14 and 30 barrels and thus differences in fit of the handguard?

Now I'm thinking of getting a Choate but I have the same concern about fit, even though the claim is that it fits both 14 and 30 equally well. Anything to watch out for?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
The choate fits my 582 mini 30 tact.

I bet you could fit a hose clamp on the old handguard, unless its the typical mini hand guard, then I wouldn't waste my time with it

Edit: maybe a hose clamp would be problematic... Get the choate, they are nice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just took apart my 14 and measured the outside diameters of the 2 barrels and the 30 is significantly wider (as you would figure). The handguard from the 14 doesn't fit it, same as the ebay one. It looks like the heat shield is shaped for a tighter radius and that puts pressure on the hind-end of guard to pop off. Maybe reshaping the heat shield would help, but I think I'll just order a Choate. They're cheap enough.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.