Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hatchetman.....
Kinda hard to put into words but I will try. I take the USGI Synthetic stock and prep it.....primer it.....two base coats....and then just use my imagination on some of them or copy off of a photograph or pattern. On some (like the tiger stripe) I had to have the colors custom mixed in order to get as close as possible to match. The rest was all done by hand with various styles of brushes (not an airbrush). After the paint has cured, I then apply three coats of polyurethane for protection (short of dropping out of a two story window onto the concrete). I have done both the synthetics and wood (which takes a bit more in the prep stages). Upper handguards need to be beadblasted to take the slickness out of the bakelite in order to hold the paint. All the metal is stripped down as well and then repainted. Start to finish takes about 10-14 days (course I do these in my spare time) as I allow ample curing times between primer, base and detail paints as well as the poly. Most of it I do by "freehand"......I use no stencils or mask anything off, but just go with the flow so to speak. Have a great day!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts