Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was wondering what you guys are shooting out of your GSR's? And what accuracy you guys are getting out of it. I haven't been having luck with my reloads and I'm looking to see what others have achieved.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Best results so far are 168gn and heavier bullets with Varget.
It will almost stack 178gn Hornady bullets with medium charge of Varget on top of each other at 100 and 200 yards.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dh1633pm
Yes, it is my go to hunting/coyote removal tool. I probably have about 500+ rounds through it so far. I use a Nikon EER 2-8 bdc scope,and a Yankee hill phantom 2 muzzle brake. It carries easy all day while hunting and shoots better the more I spend time with it.
I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have been looking at them and thinking of adding one to the collection. I could think of nothing better than dispatching a coyote (yes we have them in NY) with a nice .308. Which I already load for another rifle that I sold. I would also add a break to the rifle.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Lemur: I shoot 147gr M80 Ball recycled bullets over 45.0 gr of IMR 4895.

My best group so far was 7/8" for 5 rnds. Taht is with a 5x scope. I am expecting to tighten that up simply by the attachment of a 3x9 Scope.

My gun really came into its own after about 200 rounds. Now it even shoots Cast Boolits well. The barrels definately need some breaking in. I have not heard of any GSR with accuracy problems and I run a thread over at Castboolits.com that has been going for 2 years now and has 17 pages and 360+ comments on these guns.

There are no negative comments from actual owners of the gun.

From what I have heard the two powders working the best in thse guns is IMR4895 and AA 2250.

I have heard that Varget does not work that well, but I think it is all a matter of what your particular gun likes, because Varget certainly does work in 308's.

You are looking for about 2600 fps from the 16" bbl. Hi-midrange loading data (2750-2800fps) for a 22" bbl will get you there.

Randy

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Here's my last target when sighting in the new scope. first shot was after bore sighting then walked around target. in order shown by numbers.

Randy

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
I use Varget in mine and it loves it! I am hesitant to post pictures of actual groups, because I would bet it wouldn't be very long before folks accused me of some form of skullduggery! I can't say how happy I am with this rifle. I would agree with Randy in that most of the negative comments come from people who don't own one or don't like the scout concept.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't care too much for the actual "scout" concept. I bought it because it gave me what I always wanted in a all around bolt action. Like .308 caliber, carbine barrel lenght that fits in the little compartment in my Jeep and what I cant find anyplace, a great set of Iron sights. My accuracy tests are bowling pins at 200 yards and a stray Yote that was roaming my spot that I usualy hunt quail at. It does great using Wolf and surplus "CAVIN" ammo. I have a bucket of "POF?" ammo that was in 250 round linked MG belts that I will be trying out when it cools off a little outside. I havent scoped it yet. I need a decent sling for it now :)

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I patiently waited for my green laminate GSR to come in. Irons were on paper at 50 yards right out of the box and I had it to 3 inches in one box of American Eagle. I'm thinking you're right ECVMatt, if you like the GSR, it works for you. Like a lotta things in life. I've put exactly 20 rounds through mine, but I loved the concept and the guy whose name is on it before I pulled the trigger.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
You got a green one? I assume it is the same color as the new "guide gun" they are selling?

Very cool!

Randy

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Hmmm, long dry spell between updates; sorry. The green isn't the same as the green mountain Ruger stock on the guide gun or some 10/22s (although that would be cool too). It's an olive drab and dark gray combo. I love it and am glad I was patient.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Pics?

Randy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.