Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member, however I have been reading this board since last Sept. Frankly, I was in the market for a big bolt action scoped rifle, like a 300 or 338 win, but my plans obviously changed after the 11th of that month and a carbine seemed much more in line with our "new reality". I gotta tell ya, I bought a synthetic stock mini and, thanks to the many threads from you folks, I too am the owner of a low cost, highly reliable and "accurate enough" self defense/fun machine. A muzzle brake, scope mount, 4x scope and a couple 10 rd clips from cabelas ( I live in southern new jerkistan) have made this a great toy!!!! so far, i have sent roughly 1,000 rds throught the chamber and have never experienced a problem. Believe me, I have read this forum alot and the advise has been great.

now, when not land based, me and the mrs (a fan of the 357 s&w and 40 cal berettta) have this old sailboat that we fixed up and like to travel on from time to time. my question is: what rights do we have on the open ocean with a gun? how about from east coast state to state? the caribbean?

I know this is off the topic of minis but the members of this forum seem pretty smart to me...so thankyou!

rick
:cannon:

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Welcome Rick, or should I say Ahoy mate? I have done some homework on packing protection on board. You are entitled to carry your mini-14 on bd, but are subject to federal, and state laws out to 12 miles. The only law officers I've run into is the Coast guard, and harbor patrol. If the coast guard ever hails you for a search, the first thing you say is: "I have a weapon on board, what do you want me to do?" They will have you lay it on the bunk in safe, unloaded condition with all ammo. Then you will be up on deck when they board. They will ask you several questions. Do not lie about anything, they can smell a lie, and will tear your boat apart, maping every square inch of your boat, even cutting holes in the bulk head if they have to. If you are polite, tell them the truth, have all necessary papers, and safety equipment, its a simple thing, and the boarding officer will say: "Smooth sailing Sir", and be on their way. The islands of the Caribean is a little more complex I suguest you click on www.sailnet.com , and ask the experts for more info.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have heard the NJ. Harbor Patrol are doing about twice as much boarding these days, so be prepared. Congradulations o your new Mini it should serve you well.

Happy Sailing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thankyou for your replies. as for the coast guard, i have always found them to be reasonable people and yes, honesty is always the best policy. rugster, you are right about the increased activity by the nj state marine police. but, then again, if you do your boozing at the dock and do not make a jerk out of yourself you have no need to worry.

unfortunately, this year, the nj coast has met with many marine deaths and it's only june.

as for piracy, which doesnt occur here in the states, but is a very real threat in other parts of the world, i would love to see the faces on some of these vermin as their supposed "victims" start punching holes in their hull!!!!

rick

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think a stainless Mini .223 and a Remington Marine Magnum 12 gauge would make marvelous boat defense guns. However, I would want something on board that would be capable of sinking a bad guy boat or putting the engine out of commission in a hurry at a long distance. I am thinking a scoped rifle chambered in .308 minimum up to a .50 BMG maximum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
unfortunately, trying to use a scoped rifle on a boat would be next to impossible....just by virtue of the fact that you would be pitching up, down and sideways. now, take that and then try to aim at a target which is moving as well as pitching in a sea and well...

i would think an m14/m1 garand type would be perfect to disable a vessel, a 308 or 30 06 does tend to penetrate and disable really well.

probably best of both worlds would be the 7.62 x 39 round with an sks or mini 30. lighter weight, smaller but with that nice 30 cal. hole punch. :cannon:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too have pondered the gun issue on a boat. I know what to do in the US but what does one do when entering a port in the Carribean? Do you declare that you have guns on board and if you do will they take them away from you.

I agree on the Garand or M1A in addition to a couple of pump 12 ga. and the good old 1911 in 45 ACP. I would not venture out there without the hardware but dont know how the port guys will react in the Carribean.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I own a remington 870 "marine magnam" and it is deadly reliable,
when i go boating i keep it loaded with alternated remington copper solid slugs and federal 00 buck shot .The mag tube is loaded buck shot,slug,buck shot,slug like that and as far as a rifle
i always had a ruger M77 stainless synthetic in 3006 for sights
it has the factory front and i installed a PEEP sight on the rear
in the factory ruger scope ring slot, in my personal opinion i would not depend on optics out there!,this is also a deadly reliable rifle.
any way,This is just my 2 cents.Good luck.:sniper:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts