Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking high and low for the Gun digest with the article on the mini-30 in it. I finally found a copy for sale at a used book store so I bought it. If anybody is interested, I was thinking of scanning it to share. Might take a while though as it will take me a while to get to a scanner. Also, how serious a copyright violation might this be? The article was so-so but had a lot of good load data in it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Cool, I didn't know there was a mini article in the 91 issue. I have a couple of years of them, of which 91 is one of those! I'm not sure how much hot water you'd get into for scanning it, not much I wouldn't think.

·
Registered
216 Posts
You may have easier time finding a digital camera than a scanner.

I do not believe that anyone would decide to make an example out of you by prosecuting you for reproducing an article from a 13-year old periodical that is not on sale anymore.

None of us would otherwise bother to contact the publisher and arrange to pay for that article specifically and the company cannot sell the whole issue anyway, so there is no economic damage. At the same time seing what a great articles that magazine prints, may induce some of us to buy the current issue of a Gun Digest - I've just bought 2003 issue.

Nevertheless, you would be violating the law, so you could consider e-mailing the company for permission to reproduce the article citing the above considerations of good publicity.

If you fail to do that or do not get a permission... We will just have to remember the Christ's "Whoever is without sin, grab a stone..." or whichever it went. :)

Voruzon

·
Registered
804 Posts
ctrrout,
I think that the onle way you would get into trouble if you scanned the article so we could read it would be if you charged us for and made a profit from it. However making a copy to show to your friends, does not really infringe on copyright laws.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I can't tell you one way or another. Yes, it would be illegal. But like veruzon says: "I do not believe that anyone would decide to make an example out of you by prosecuting you for reproducing an article from a 13-year old periodical..."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts