Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· bang bang
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to this forum and I just had a question on what you guys might think about a particular gun case.
I have been browsing over different cases to get for my Browning rifle I just bought. I have looked at all kinds of cases from soft to hard. I'm not to fond of the soft cases because they just don't seem like they will protect my rifle. The Pelican cases are all pre-cut so therefor I would only be able to put in the case, what I originally bought it for and nothing else.
I did find this one brand called Armortek at ArmortekCases.com | Official Home Page and it seems to be a great case. Looks like they took care of everything from security to protecting the firearms.
What do you guys think? I need to order it soon and just wanted some feedback.
:ph34r:

· Registered
1,398 Posts
Cases are for transport, not storage.
For "normal" transport, any hardcase will work, if your planning to drop your rifle out of a airplane, than the Pelican makes sense (of if your toting around $3-4000 rifle/optics).
Don't worry about "cut outs", simply lay the rifle on the egg crate liner, close the lid and go.

· Registered
204 Posts
I was going to suggest the Plano Pro-Max PillarLock cases which are great for local transport, though I wouldn't use them for flying.
Plano® Pro-Max™ PillarLock® Gun Cases | Bass Pro Shops

But I see you are looking at higher dollar ones. Those look nice but no experience with them. One thing to note is they mention home storage on the webpage - unless they have silca gel dessicant or a special lining in the case, storing guns in a travel case long term is a no-no, as moisture can build up in them and be held against them.

· bang bang
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was going to suggest the Plano Pro-Max PillarLock cases which are great for local transport, though I wouldn't use them for flying.
Plano® Pro-Max™ PillarLock® Gun Cases | Bass Pro Shops

But I see you are looking at higher dollar ones. Those look nice but no experience with them. One thing to note is they mention home storage on the webpage - unless they have silca gel dessicant or a special lining in the case, storing guns in a travel case long term is a no-no, as moisture can build up in them and be held against them.
Thats good advice.. One BIG problem for me is I live in CA and theft is huge. The Plano just doesn't seem secure enough.. The Armortek seems it would be stronger.. thats kind of why I'm asking if anyone has used it so I could get an honest review.. Thank you for your suggestion

· bang bang
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cases are for transport, not storage.
For "normal" transport, any hardcase will work, if your planning to drop your rifle out of a airplane, than the Pelican makes sense (of if your toting around $3-4000 rifle/optics).
Don't worry about "cut outs", simply lay the rifle on the egg crate liner, close the lid and go.
That makes sense.. just the last Pelican I bought I wasn't very happy with it.. idk if I got a cheap rip off or what but it didnt last more than a year.. I bought it for my Dickenson 20 ga. and after a year the hinges broke..

· Registered
204 Posts
If you're worried about theft, buy the $30 Plano for transport and get a Stack-on metal security cabinet, 10 gun sized ones are around $120. You can bolt them to the wall/floor if so inclined and way more secure than a case. Not a true safe but the next best thing. The 10 gun ones are a little bigger than a high school locker in footprint, and maybe 5' high. Really more a 5 gun unit unless you like tetris. Still though, keep all your ammo in it, put a led light on the top, its not bad. I had one for a while before I jumped for a safe.

· bang bang
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're worried about theft, buy the $30 Plano for transport and get a Stack-on metal security cabinet, 10 gun sized ones are around $120. You can bolt them to the wall/floor if so inclined and way more secure than a case. Not a true safe but the next best thing. The 10 gun ones are a little bigger than a high school locker in footprint, and maybe 5' high. Really more a 5 gun unit unless you like tetris. Still though, keep all your ammo in it, put a led light on the top, its not bad. I had one for a while before I jumped for a safe.
Oh yes I have a gun safe.. I have kids in house and don't want them to do something stupid.. as they always do.. but I meant in the truck when I transport it and have to stop in the store on the way out or back.. Will the Plano keep from people stealing it out of my truck?

· Registered
204 Posts
I guess in the truck anything goes. No case is more secure than another if its just a cable lock holding it down, or if its fort Knox and not locked down to anything. A cable through locks on a Plano would be just as good as a cable through locks on a $200 case. Problem is that cables and chains are cut very easily. I used to work as a bicycle mechanic, and have had to cut locks off bikes, it takes seconds with bolt cutters or wire cutters for cables locks. Suggestion is to lock it out of sight and minimize unattended time. Nothing is burglar proof, just don't give them any ideas.

If more than 30 seconds of someone messing with it wouldn't raise red flags to the people around your truck or you, don't leave it in there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.