Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally finished my Mini-14 with the modifications I want. This is a wood and blue 580 series with the “skinny” barrel. I like wood and blue steel. I’m never taking this into combat or going to Camp Perry with it. Nor will I ever use it to score “Boone and Crocket” points. This is a “plinker” and fun gun. If I had to use it for self defense or varmint hunting - I would . The above philosophy guided me in what mods to add. The other rationale was my wallet. I didn’t want to spend a bundle on this project and set $1,000 as my upper limit for total cost.

Basic gun purchased at Wally World: $604.57 plus tax ($42.32) for a base cost of $646.89

First mod: ASI adjustable gas block – I got this because I reload. The basic rifle slung brass for quite a distance and dented some of the cases. Now I can “dial in” the brass to land in the 4-5 ft range (with no dents) and no problems with reliability. As a secondary benefit the felt recoil is somewhat less and the softer cycling probably helps with weapon longevity. Cost from manufacturer: $107.95 plus S&H ($12.95) for $120.90

Second mod: Uncle Mike’s QD sling swivels and sling. Made possible by the addition of the ASI gas block. Helpful to take the sling off for bench work. I like to use a sling for off-hand shooting. Cost: I’m really not sure, but the both from Wally’s ran about $25.

Third mod: Accu-strut. Enough has been said about this product on this board concerning accuracy and barrel rigidity. I like the way it looks. I like the little extra weight up front for off-hand shot balancing. I also like the fact that it works well with the gas block. I can “butt” the strut against the gas block and still have room for a hex wrench to make adjustments. Cost: $94.95 plus S&H ($9.77) for a total of $104.72.

Fourth Mod: Millett Red Dot scope. This is a 1”, 3MOA, 1x scope. This has an 11 position brightness control. I just added this and sighted it in recently. After 18 shots, starting at 25 yds and dialing it in, I shot the last 6 at 60 yards from a sandbag rest (only front supported) with REM 55gr JHP’s. It was a bright, sunny day and temp was in the mid 50’s. The one “high” one was a called flyer. The one on the right was due to me (left handed) not pulling the trigger correctly. This item was used with the supplied Ruger rings, which was my intent to help keep costs down. This is a great product for shooting with both eyes open. Cost: $78.80. (ragged holes at top from staples)

Last “mod” (more like an accessory) was a 20-round Ruger mag. I don’t remember what it cost, but I think I got it from Midway, on sale, for about $30.

Total cost = $1006.31 Close enough! The total cost was spread over a period of over 2.5 years. The current cost may not be as same. The only thing I found was the red dot was smaller than the front sight. This made my “less-than-target-grade” trigger more apparent. I just might need some trigger work; or more likely - more practice. -AimHigh

·
Registered
17 Posts
aimhigh, I encourage you to get the trigger job, that would top it off perfectly other than experimenting with various ammo that would enhance all the mod's.
Good Job, have fun!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I like the way that Mini looks, especially the low-profile minimalist approach to the scope. What is the twist rate of your barrel? Just wondering if you could try a heavier bullet.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Aimhigh,
Take a little dab of polishing compound or lapping compound on the surfaces of the trigger/hammer sear and work it back and forth about 50 times (partially pull the trigger to take up the first stage of the trigger pull) Also jiggle the sear a little side to side. You'd be surprised how, after thoroughly cleaning it off and greasing the sears there is no more gritty trigger pull. Also the trigger pull feels lighter. No disassembly required. Cost: almost nuthin'.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got an email update on this thread and thought what the............. ?

I appreciate the comments and advice. I've been shooting this gun in the same configuration for the last three years and am still very happy with the final product. Never got around to doing a trigger job on it though.

Picked up several Rugers since this was posted in Feb 2011. An LC9, SR40, and RAR in 22lr. Ruger makes a good, solid, dependable product!

I wonder what happened to the pictures I posted? They were there at one time:unsure:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts