Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I bought a Mo-Reaper for my skinny barrel 580 series mini-14. However the factory roll pin groove in my barrel was too far forward to work with the Mo-Reaper for skinny barrels. I contacted KMO to see if he had any suggestions. He thought perhaps the wrong unit had shipped so I sent him the Mo-Reaper for inspection. It turned out to be the right unit so he sent it back to me. The only option left if I wanted the Mo Reaper installed was to put a new roll pin groove in my barrel further back from where the factory one is. KMO gave me the number for his machinist in case the gunsmith I used had any questions. The Mo Reaper is now installed although I haven't had a chance to use it. I don't post very often but I thought I should give KMO some recognition as he handled this matter very professionally.

The exact issue that occurred was that I have a skinny barreled 580 series mini 14 (early production from 2005 if that makes any difference) and the roll pin groove is .478" back from the muzzle. The skinny barrel Mo Reaper requires a roll pin groove 1.45" back from the muzzle. I will also note I have made no modifications to my factory barrel. I'm guessing that the skinny barrel Mo Reaper is designed for pre 580 series rifles as they have the roll pin groove further back than the skinny barreled 580 series rifles. Out of curiosity where is the roll pin groove with respect to the muzzle on tapered barrel mini 14 rifles?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I Not sure about the spacing on the roll pin but I must say that KMO and his Mo Reaper and his strut are amazing. The customer service is top notch and the product are terrific. I have a 187 Ranch and his products greatly improved the looks and accuracy of the rifle. I never used to like shooting Irons on a rifle but with the Mo reaper I find it a lot of fun now. I just wanted throw a shout out to him because he deserves it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the same problem, customer service was top notch, they sent me a new unit then we both figured out the early model difference ... I ended up dremeling a new groove in my barrel. I put the Mo Reaper on at the same time as my accu-strut and I got 2-3" groups at 50 yards with Wolf, but the groove I dremeled was too narrow, Reaper was too canted to align at 100 yards so I had to come home to fix it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I installed my MO-Reaper on my 1976 180 Series Mini-14. Shot it last night with the Mo-Reaper. Wow what a difference. Zero muzzle climb. I was shooting indoors and I noticed no muzzle flash. I was shooting 55 grain American Eagle FMJ and 50 Grain Fiochi ballistic tip. I also have a strut installed on my 180 series. At 25 yards with both types of ammo I fired two rounds each of 55 grain and 50 grain. I had bullets touching at 25 yards. Photos to follow.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Definitely great CS. I contacted him to ask what he recommends on refinishing my Mo-Rod (I originally got it black when since I planned to refinish my Mini) and he offered to refinish it for me free of charge (I've since decided to keep my Mini stainless). Even though he was doing me a favor, the Mo-Rod came back in a week's time or less.. which shows he really is attentive to each customer even if he's not making a buck during that transaction. That's definitely something everyone can appreciate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.