Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My great grandfather had single shot crack barrel W.M. Enders shotgun bearing the name Oakleaf and I can't find any information about this gun. The top of the barrel says high pressure compressed steel barrel and lug forged in one piece. I can't find any serial numbers on the gun. It also has a hammer with no safety mechanizm. The finish of the wood is dark varnish. Any help will be greatly appreciated as I am at a stand still on it.

I have a Springfield Meteor Model 52-A .22 caliber bolt action rifle. Manufactured by J. Stevens Arms Company in Chicopee Falls, Massachusettes. It has a 24 in a circle stamped on the left side of the barrel. Does anyone know how much it is worth and what year or years it would have been made in?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Cannot find a J.Stevens Mod.52A, but did find a Win. 52A. Maybe winchester made them for J. Stevens. Nothing under Springfield either.

No info on the shotgun. Could have been made by one of the big companies and then sold through a small hardware store or something like that. It could be the name of the store that sold it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
No its definately NOT A WINCHESTER. I'm looking at pictures of winchester 52's right now. However I did look into Springfield-Stevens, and they made a model 82 that looks exactly like the picture. Do you think its possible that you could have misread a model 82 for 52?

Anyway description of the Stevens-Springfield Model 82 Bolt-Action Single Shot Rifle. Takedown. 22lr,l,s. 22" brrl, 4lbs, open rear sights, gold bead front, plain pistol gripped stock w/ grooved forearm. Made 1935-39. $110
I'm thinking that the 82-A was the modification with the blade front sight instead of the bead, and possibly a 24" barrel, cause the model 83 had a 24" barrel.
I couldn't find anything on the name of the shotgun, I'd advise having it double checked. However judging by appearance, I'd say it was made by Iver Johnson, and possible sold under a different name by a hardware store or mail order catalog. It has the exact appearance of an old Iver Johnson Champion Single Shot Shotgun made between 1909-1956. There were sever hundreds of thousands of these produced between those dates and sold under various names, however due to the lack of serial #, I'd say it was an earlier one. I'd say you could maybe get $50-75 for it from an individual, but blue book is a $40 guess.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Oakleaf from what I have found appears to be made by Crescent- Davis who produced many different names for the same company. One of those names was Enders. However I have no clue on the year or a value. Any help is appreciated.Here is a picture if the insignia on the Oakleaf.

Now as for the Springfield. This is exactly what is stamped into the top of the barrel. SPRINGFIELD Manufactured by J. Stevens Arms Company in Chicopee Falls, Mass. U.S.A. CAL 22 S.L. or L.R. Model 52-A. The number 52 is perfectly clear. It has a blade front sight with Marble stamped on one side and No.3 on the other side of the blade. Again any information is appreciated.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well I did find Crescent Fire Arms Co. & Crescent-Davis Arms Co., and a little info on them.

In 1888, George W. Cilley bought out the defuct Bacon Arms Co. of Norwich, CT. He then formed an alliance with Frank Foster, and borrowed enough money to form the Crescent Fire Arms Company. Cilley and Foster each held several firearms patents, and both were highly qualified in firearms design and manufacture. Production began with a single shot tip-up shotguns that had an external side hammer. Double barrel shotgun production was started in 1891. In 1893, they began making bicycle chains, and that same year, H&D Folsom took over the company's financial control. Early in the 1890's, Crecent built a rifle that resembled the Reminton No. 4. A very rare Crescent was the .410 bore shotgun pistol, which was introduced in the 1920's. In 1929, N.R. Davis Firearms Co., then owned by Warner Arms Corp., merged with Crescent in 1931, assembled guns from the remaining parts, and these guns were sold under the Crescent name only. in 1932, the city of Norwich, CT, took over the Crescent property for non-payment of back taxes. After the Norwich facility was closed, manufacture was moved to Chicopee Falls.

It is unknown whether or not Crescent did any high grade or custom work. However, a very well engraved SxS, with the Cresent logo, is known to exist in a private collection. Cresent Firearms Company remains best known as a manufacturer of "house brand" shotguns (i.e., Cresent private labeled guns for retailers, distributors, mail-order houses, ect.) Over 100 different trademarks have been observed to date, manufactured by Crescent- almaost all the remaining specimens today are priced as shooters, and have no collector value.

Single Shot Model - 12, 16, 20, 28ga., or .410bore, exposed hammer, various barrel lengths, walnut stock and forearm. Disc.

The previous is from Blue Book 23rd edition. Its all the info I could com up with, but I'm still diging thru some other books. I'm currently in the process of moving to a new appartment, so I'm having to pull books from boxes, otherwise, I might be able to find it faster.

Some advise I have is to post your items on gunbroker.com's forum, in the ask the experts section. There are many members with bigger libraries than I, and far more experience who may be able to enlighten you as to the history of you guns.

Good luck,
LB

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info gunsmithlee. I will keep searching and possibly someone will stumble across this to with more information. This is the excerp I took my information from. It is the 7th paragraph down. Oakleaf Info What I cannot figure out is this H.∓D. Folsom which they keep referring to. What is H.&mp?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts