Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is yet another great example of government and big business joining forces to invade your privacy. Since everyone here is obviously on the Internet, and most of us store personal files on our systems.

I first heard about this on the radio, and then ran a search to find this article:

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2119753,00.html

Basically the bill allows copyright holders to hack into your system if they have "reasonable belief" that you hold pirated material. Might want to take the time to drop your congress members a line.

Highlights include:

The legislation would immunise groups such as the Motion Picture Association of America and the Recording Industry Association of America from all state and federal laws if they disable, block or otherwise impair a "publicly accessible peer-to-peer network".

The draft bill doesn't specify what techniques, such as viruses, worms, denial-of-service attacks, or domain name hijacking, would be permissible. It does say that a copyright-hacker should not delete files, but it limits the right of anyone subject to an intrusion to sue if files are accidentally erased.

So, they can release a virus into the wild, they can accidentally erase photos from your hard drive, or deny service to your web site. If you can't prove $250 of economic loss, you don't even have recourse against them. If you know who did it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
This is just another example of the music industry cutting it's own throat. I just hope this doesn't get signed into law. I'm sure if it does it'll get challenged all the way to the SPOTUS but if it makes it into a law first than over half the battle is lost. It's the music industries own business model that has brought all this about. Prices of CDs are ridiculous when you look at having to pay $15-20 for a CD with 3 songs of interest. And they've basically forced merchants to pricing below a certain level in exchange for advertising money and kickbacks. Though the industry has gotten their fingers slapped by the FTC for that one and had to sign an agreement to refrain from that practice for 7 years.

They also failed to embrace the internet and instead of profiting from it they're having to put so much money into fighting the sharing that exists today.

IMO it's their greed and heavy-handedness that makes people feel it's morally ok to copy music. The music industry created the monster.

GL

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree.
Half of the CD's I buy are for 1 song. $20 for 1 song!
And yes, I have downloaded movies from time to time, God's honest truth, if they are good I usually buy them on DVD. The quality is lousy compared to DVD on the downloads, but it gives you an idea of how good the movie is. Perfect example, Panic Room, I downloaded that watched about 2/3s of it. I would have been MAD if I bought that movie. Despite all of the hype, it was that bad. Blackhawk Down, I watched about a 1/2hr and went out and bought the DVD!
I see it as an extra long trailer for my preview experience.
Giving them power to come into my machine (if they can get here) and mess with my files... BD will be the LAST thing that I will ever buy from any of them.

·
Registered
221 Posts
bugdrvr you have a very good point about downloading something and then buying it if you like it. There have been some studies that have shown that sales have actually increased because people have done just as you have.

Now, the movie and music industry has studies that say that CD sales have dropped. If you ask me there are so many factors that play into sales that it would be hard to determine that it was solely from downloading. But, the industries are going to have studies that basically say what they want them to say. As I always say, "You can use statistics to prove anything. 72% of all people know that!"

BTW, you didn't like Panic Room? I actually thought it was better than what the previews led me to believe. I really liked Dwight Yokum as the bad guy. Soon as I get a DVD I'm going to go out and get Black Hawk Down.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I read the article. Untill Sep 11 01, not even the FBI was allowed to do this without going thru legal channels on a case by case, and then it was for real crime, not just petty cheating! The FBI is an authority, the weirdo's in Hollywood are NOT! They will not stop with tracking down a stolen song. I'm afraid to think where it will end! I am going to write my congressman, and senator this week end! I encourage everyone else to do the same:mad:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The music industry is getting more and more power crazed over the steps they can take themselves.

I bitched about the attempted limits to fair usage. I'm listening to my Dire Straights CD chirp now because of scratches. Unfortunately, it was damaged before I got a CD burner. I'll have to buy the CD again. Now, I just make 2 copies of a CD I like, throw one in the truck, one in the car, and put the original in the house. I bitched, but never bothered to write in about it.

This one goes beyond fair use issues and becomes a 4th amendment issue. I've already written Baron Hill, my rep. From previous experience it takes about 2-3 weeks for a response. Hopefully enough people will see the dangers of this and do the same.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I received a response from Rep. Baron Hill yesterday. He basically didn't take a side, saying he would take a "strong look" at it if it came to vote, and that he "shares my concerns" about fair use and vigilantism going wrong with this bill. It looked like he is weakly against it, but we'll see if/when it comes to a vote.

On a side note, Congress recently voted to force TV manufacturers to include the tuner for High Definition TV in every set by 2007 or 2008 (my memory fails, sorry). Don't they have anything better to do than pass laws about what parts a TV manufacturer has to put in their own product? When the hell did regular definition vs high definition this need to be legislated and not be a market decision?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts