Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I've got my 10/22 and a Mini Stainless, already put it into the Hogue stock. I have a few questions.
Please do not refer me to search, though direct links to threads /pages are appreciated - I've read this whole site and other resources and I am still a bit confused on some issues.

Also, in New York City there is no gun-owning community I could use for show-and-tell experience exchange.
Very few ranges. Very few stores and not always helpfull. No gunshows worth going to. I will have to rely on you for advice.

1. Cleaning the gun. Breaking it in.
My only experience of small-arms cleaning was in Soviet Army where I cleaned my AK using a standard steel rod and brush with some issued oil of indeterminate origin.
Read my post on this thread: http://www.perfectunion.com/forums/showthr...ht=barrel+break

I bough Hoppe's kit that includes aluminum rod, some patches, Hoppes #9 Powder Solvent and Hoppe's Lubricating Oil.

I also bought Hoppe's #9 Copper Solvent Use it on your mini.

Now, I've got the impression that using rods or brushes is anathema since the hard carbon gets imbedded in it and damages the bore. Alternatively a still rod/brush does not get imbedded with carbon but can damage the bore/crown by being too hard. Ths consensus seems to be on using just the pull-through patches. Am I correct? Thats all I use.

I made myself a cable out of the weed-wacker line and cleaned my 10/22 with Hoppes #9 Powder Solvent. Thats what I use on my 10/22

Now, the question is - does just using the pool-through patches remove led fouling? Patches, and solvent. Can one completely avoid using brushes and of not, what kind of brush/rod to use and should they be discarded after one cleaning? I've not used a brush in a year. If you let it build up then you need to use a brush. You can use them over till they are worn.

I am thining about making a row out of an oak to push the patches through with a little more force than pulling then allows and quicker. But I guess a wooden rod can get imbedded with carbon particles too. I use a tatical cable. A vinal coated cable with attachments, on my mini. Weed wacker line on my 10/22's

I've got some 22lr ammo with copper-coated (not jacketed) bullets. Do I need to use copper-solvent after them? No, regular bore cleaner is all ya need.

Where does oil come into play conserning the bore? The text on the Hoppes #9 Powder Solvent indicates that it alone can be used in a stored gun. The text on the box says that it can be used to lubricate the bore after the Powder Solvent. After cleaning your rifle, you want to apply oil to keep metal parts from rusting (even stainless steel). In the bore, and outside metal parts. (All metal Except your blued Aluminium Receiver.). I then wipe it down to leave a very thin coat of oil. I don't like hopies, its too thick, I use Remington oil (avail at the marts)

There was no hepl getting some Powder Solvent into the black-painted aluminum receiver of 10/22. Is is bad and to be avoided? How about Copper Solvent? If you get a little on it wont hurt, just wipe it off. I wouldn't get solvent on the stock or bedding job. It will soften it up in time.

Smell. The lubricating oil does not smell any. Powder Solvent and Copper Solvent smell terribly which makes them unsuitable for indoor use. I suspect the fumes are dangerous as well. I long envisioned cosy family afternoons in front of the TV with children playing, wife watching TV and myself cleaning my guns... :) With such smell it's out of the question.
Cleaning the guns on the balcony is also out of the question in NYC with all the PC and liberal paranoia around - my wife even insists on lowering the blinds when I unpack them in the room. That is in addition to freezing cold.

Is there a less-smelly way to clean the guns? What do you do when you have a smelly job to do? Go to the bathroom, close the door, set down with the vent on to suck out the smell. The cleaning patches in the solvent is where most of the smell comes from. Use a patch, and put in in a zip lock bag. When your done seal the zip lock, wash up, maby a little air fresh, leave the door closed for a little while with vent running. OR, clean it where you shoot, unless its out in the cold.

2. Sling Swivel or whatever that thing is called.
The hogue stock came with a stud(?) on it but no swivel(?) - the thing to pull the sling through. I am still a bit unsure about the English terms here, please correct me.
The stud in the wood stock that came with Mini has a different thread than the one in the Hogue stock. So what do I need to remedy the situation? Don't remove the stud, get an Uncle mikes QD swivel set, about $5 at the marts. Not the swivel/stud set, You already have a stud.

What is the type of the thread on the Hogue stud in case I need to get the whole thing together?

What would be a nice simple sling for it? Do I need adjustable one for miliary-type training? Uncle mikes black nylon sling is what I use. I like it. About $5 at the marts.

3. I've got a steel target trap for shooting 22lr ammo. It makes a hell of a racket when a bullet hits it - like a metal pan hit with a spoon. Anybody knows a way to make it quieter, like glue some sound-absorbing stuff to it on the outside? Where do you use it? I haven't used a trap, my bullets end up in a rabbit or the dirt.

4. Will subsinic 22lr ammo have enough power to work the action on 10/22? Sometimes yes. I'd break it in with hi-velocity ammo.

5. What other accessories should I buy?

6. And where do I get more of those damn 5-rd 10/22 and Mini magazines at decent price? Try Cabellas, Midway, Natchez.

V.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Voruzon:

Unless you have a real need to stay in NYC (financial?) why not move your family to a more gun tolerant state like VT or NH. I know many former new yorkers who left that trash heap in order to enjoy firearm freedom. I and all the other guys around here would be happy to help you with your gun stuff and we have some good ranges to shoot at.

I think all we would ask is that you help us keep our states free by voting pro gun and supporting the Second Amendment. I would think you could do that having lived in a communist country.

:)

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hey voruzon. I moved your post to the 10/22 forum as most all your questions were about the 10/22, but most of my answers could apply to your mini. I edited your long list of questions so my answers appear in Blue.

There are many ways to break in a barrel, and many more ways to clean a rifle.

When I was in the Marine Corp, I was taught to clean my rifle military style, the same as you were. When I was younger my dad taught me to clean a rifle about the same way. The average hunter cleans their rifle the same way a metal rod down the bore, rubbing on the crown. Under ocasional use it takes Years to wear out the crown enough before you notice loosing accuracy. However some benchrest shooters Wear Out a barrel in a year. So they have to be more careful, and avoid cleaning across the Crown. I would like my Guns to last a lifetime, and retain accuracy I have worked hard to achieve, so I have adapted a similar method of cleaning.

I have installed match barrels in my 10/22's so I do not use a brush in them, only patches. I did use a brass brush, and solvent on both of them when I first got them to remove the perservatives.

If I had stock barrels I'd use a bore guide. This keeps the metal rod from rubbing the crown. But my 10/22's have bull barrels, and the mini has a muzzle brake. So I use the pull thru method. I'm sure you will get many opinions on these subjects, so you can choose what makes sense to you. Good Luck with your new rifles. ;)

·
No Longer Involved
2,492 Posts
I'll move it back to Mini-14 and leave a link here, let's get action on both forums.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Voruzon, I live in Westchester County NY where we ard less restricted than NYC; for example I have a full-carry concealed weapons permit for all of NYS except the city. Let me suggest that you join &/or get info from the new york state rifle and pistol association....here is their on-line address: The New York State Rifle & Pistol Association is the state's largest and oldest firearms advocacy organization.
They will also be able to connect you with NYC, as well as Long Island shooting groups where you will get help and find the many shooting ranges within less than a one hour commute. Once you get to a club/range, it will be much easier to gather knowledge. The annual dues are only $20 / year and you get a regular newsbulletin that you will find invaluable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you have a stock 10/22 and prefer the cleaning rods (especially if you shoot around 200-400 rds per trip) try the Kleen Bore rods. They are steel for durability but are coated with a special material that will both protect the barrel and the crown itself. Plus they come with a bore guide as an extra safety feature. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
voruzon,

You can buy cleaning kits, items, etc , from places on-line that will be delivered to your door-step. Try :

www.midwayusa.com
www.CheaperThanDirt.com

Also look into using Microlon's "GUN JUICE" This is the "stuff"

You can e-mail me about gun juice if you like I use it on all my guns. This is the e-mail for "gun Juice"

[email protected]
310-378-5334
310-540-6181

Hope this helps you !!

socal pilgrim:ar15:

lock & load

1 - 7 of 7 Posts