Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
M.I.A.
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, two months ago they were pretty thin. I stopped by a local shop today and they are non-existent. Anybody anticipate when we will see more primers?

·
Registered
171 Posts
So, two months ago they were pretty thin. I stopped by a local shop today and they are non-existent. Anybody anticipate when we will see more primers?
Hi, with Homeland Security buying 1.6B rounds of ammo, I don't think we will see any primers available anytime soon. :(

Regards,
Richard

·
M.I.A.
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fortunately I have a couple thousand, but I'm not happy about the situation. Hmm, maybe it's time to revisit "reloading" primers. I know somewhere I read about a few doing it as a proof of concept.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
You need to check out the smaller mom and pop gun stores in the back woods. I have primers and just got a few thousand more. Purchased in local guns shops in out of the way places. Most of Central New York is rural. Just need to know where to look.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Small pistol primers are the ones in real shortage. My LGS has thousands of shotshell, sm/lg Rifle, and they HAD a few hundred small Pistol Mag, but by the time I decided to go ahead and pick them up they were out. I have about 2k on hand right now tho

·
M.I.A.
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SP, SPM, LP, LPM, SR, SRM, LR, LRM...we are talking all of them except some shotshell, are out. And this is a small mom and pop. The walmarts, cabelas, etc have been out for awhile in my area. I haven't checked bass pro shop yet, and probably won't since I don't have time for a day trip. There is a neighboring small town that has a hole in the wall gun shop (with a drive thru tobacco and liquor shop next door :grins: ), I will probably check with them yet. Otherwise I'll have to make do with the couple thousand I have.

Hopefully supply catches up in another few months?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Well it took about 3 years for a come back when the ******** got in office the first time! So I believe it will be 3 years again before they will be easy to find for around 25.00 per box.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Here in Wi., I can find small pistol but no small rifle, .224. A reloading supplier had some small rifle primers 2 weeks ago and I bought a 1000. They were limiting the purchases to 1000 per buyer.

They also didnt gouge the prices. I paid $28.00 for a 1000 small rifle primers.:D

Now if I just find some .224, 55gr.

Larry

·
M.I.A.
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm, interesting. I found a thousand Remington 7 1/2 small rifle bench rest primers stashed that I didn't realize I had. I've read in the past that some have used SP and SR interchangeably. Just not LR. Anyone have opinions on this? It would be used strictly for 38/357 in 357 magnum handguns only. If I were to try and use them reduce the load by 10% and work up?

EDIT: I see the cup is thicker on some SR, especially on these 7 1/2's. I could get wimpy strikes from a pistol. So I should probably save and use in rifle, or perhaps trade with someone else in my area for what I want.

·
M.I.A.
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've got powder, and I suppose I have enough primers...at least for now. :)

I have decided I will use the Remington's for my 38/357, if push comes to shove. I did some reading up and guys who use SR in pistols download, either 10% or .3 gr from their current loads and then work up. The cups is a little thicker, so lightened springs need not apply. This only applies to SR not SRM.

After this current political crap blows over I will probably further consolidate and go down to CCI 550's and CCI 400's.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Got powder, got primers, got brass. I may live in the lease free state, but we do have some reloading stuff left that hasn't been confiscated by the powers that be.

I have some CCI Small Pistol. I just went to the basement and got a couple out. They measure 0.108. The CCI Small Rifle measure .118. So if you used the Remington SR in your pistols would they seat far enough to not cause problems with primer seating?

I have almost a 1000 small pistols (No 500) but I don't load anything that takes them.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I bought 'em when the gettin' was good. Always like to have a couple/three season's ahead for the .22-250 and varmints!
Changed out last time from mag primers and accuracy got even tighter.

·
M.I.A.
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got powder, got primers, got brass. I may live in the lease free state, but we do have some reloading stuff left that hasn't been confiscated by the powers that be.

I have some CCI Small Pistol. I just went to the basement and got a couple out. They measure 0.108. The CCI Small Rifle measure .118. So if you used the Remington SR in your pistols would they seat far enough to not cause problems with primer seating?

I have almost a 1000 small pistols (No 500) but I don't load anything that takes them.
What number is your small rifle? CCI-400's? I have some of those too. I'll measure when I get home and post what I have when I get a chance. From what I've read small rifle are supposed to be within a few thousandths, but large rifle are too big. Not sure about small rifle magnum, but I wouldn't even be interested in try to work up a load from those.

·
M.I.A.
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting...

Remington 7 1/2's SR - .124-.125" (the anvil sticks out just a hair more, cup .120)

Winchester WSR - .120

CCI SP 500/SPM 550/SR 400 - .120

CCI 350 - .119

I had more small rifle than I realized. I'm not sure if four thousands of an inch is enough to matter with the Remington primers, but I aim to find out sometime this summer. Once I finish working up a load for .38 cases using HS-6, I'll compare the different primers by running them across my chrony.

·
Arizona Gunner
90 Posts
Years ago, (1980) I loaded for .38sp, .45acp and .223 and 30-06. At one point I couldn't
see having a bunch of different components on hand and started loading all pistols'
with W231 powder and all rifles with w748. This ball powder worked good for me, so
I decided to try small rifle primers in my 38's and large rifle primers in my .45acp. I
didn't see any difference in any of my loads on a crono and did that for years. I used
2 powders and 2 primers and kept it simple.

Now years later and getting into reloading again, I am not so sure this is a good idea.
Everyone tells me this is a big no no.
I can say though, I never experienced a problem with thousands of rounds.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.