Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've just got my rifle/shotgun permit.
My wife does not want a weapon in the house untill I get a case for it. I do not need a heavy safe. Some kind of a lockable metal gun cabinet that would hold half-dozen pieces and some ammo (I plan to get a Mini, 10/22 and an SKS to start with, air rifle and paintgun too with a baby in the house). Preferably cheap one.

Any advice?

V.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Originally posted by voruzon
OK, I've just got my rifle/shotgun permit.
My wife does not want a weapon in the house untill I get a case for it. I do not need a heavy safe. Some kind of a lockable metal gun cabinet that would hold half-dozen pieces and some ammo (I plan to get a Mini, 10/22 and an SKS to start with, air rifle and paintgun too with a baby in the house). Preferably cheap one.

Any advice?

V.
Best advice is to move away from that liberal piece of xxxx called New York City.

If not practical, get a Homak gun cabinet.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
valleypine: Best advice is to move away from that liberal piece of xxxx called New York City.

Sound advice. I may someday regret waiting too long to act on it - and have to evacuate rather than move. In which case a rifle may come in handy.

miko

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thats pretty sad that you have to get a permit just to own a rifle, I live in CA and I even think that sucks.

but definitely get a 10/22 and a SKS, those sks rifles are great they are built like a tank but are very rugged and reliable and fairly accurate for a battle rifle.

Load up with some 154gr soft points and you have quite the manstopper!

can you guys have AK's in NY?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No AK, no AR of any kind in NYC, no gun with a pistol grip at all, no more than a 5-rd magazine capacity. I hope they allow me to register an SKS with an aftermarket 5-rd magazine.

Oh, yes, I've got a gun cabinet on during lunch break. Will try to go gun-shopping tomorrow after work.

V.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Originally posted by Greg1911
Thats pretty sad that you have to get a permit just to own a rifle, I live in CA and I even think that sucks.
Ain't that the truth. I love being able to walk into Wal-Mart and buy a Mini-14 right then and there if the desire hits me.

(Wait a second... the desire is hitting me now... just not hitting the wallet too.)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Homack <sp?> safes are sold at Wal-Mart, etc for about $90. They hold roughly 6 rifles.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My advice is to get a lock box type safe at Wal mart they are about 90 bucks and have special locks like the ones on coke mechines they provide good protection agianst kids if you keep the key where they can't find it and good protection agianst theft if you bolt them to the wall and floor.I used one for years and it held up fine.You'll need to make sure they are bolted to a stud in the wall to prevent theft.I also recomend buying a standard pad lock hindge and a combonation lock you can take the safe box to any muffler shop and they will weld the hindge on for around 20 bucks or less.Then you can just slap on the combonation lock and even if your kids find the key they can't open it unless they know the combonation.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I have a Homack. It has 2 Round key locks (lock smiths will not duplicate, says on the key) , holds 8 rifles, has one shelf, and 2 movable door mounted plastic bins. It is foam lined. Bolted to the wall studs, in a closet. One key stays on my pocket keys, and one stays in a safty deposit box. No keys laying around for someone to find. Maby not the best in the world, but it will keep the kids, and angry wife out, and common break in & grab quick burglers.
This is the one I have. I've seen them at the marts (seasonable) also at major sporting good stores. Less than $100. I paid $75 in 1988. http://www.milcompass.com/gunsafe_2.htm

·
Registered
411 Posts
I 've drilled 3/8 inch holes in mine to aline it with the will studs and I can tell you unlees a thief has an hour or so or a really big (over 3 ft) pry bar he's not gettin in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
it is exactly like the homack in design,but mine holds 12 long guns.

well i lost the key and unfortunatly i didn't write down the key code printed on the back,before bolting it to the wall and floor.lock smith wanted 55 dollars to open.i called company they said send us 15 dollars and we will send you a new lock just drill the old one out.sounded simply enough.so simple it worried me that burglars could dril it so easy.

ended up takeing about an hour and a couple of dril bits.and then i still had to jimmy the door some.the lock bars at the bottom stayed in place.
i now know it ain't that simple,and would require some work and tools on the burglars part.

incidenally in addition to bolting to the wall,place it in a corner if at all possible.with the lock side against the wall.that limits prying.then get all your tools out of the house.don't want to help the little pests.
but great choice in weapons,there.good to see you gearing up!:)

·
Registered
287 Posts
You might want a safe to prevent theft but take take this advice from some one who's been there. The thing is teach your kids gun safety. When my two girls were little I could lay an unloaded handgun or any other gun around for them to see and they would walk by look at it and say hot dont touch .Now my two are 22 and 20 and guess what ? No firearms accidents. My oldest still thinks she can outshoot Daddy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
HEY VA , I took the same route ,, instead i put the pistol in there hands at six years old, showed them how to aim and shoot ,,, don't know if it was right or wrong to do it but the way i looked at it is.. kill the curiosity before curiosity kills the kid !!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Gatekeeper,you are right on with your thinking! If you get them started EARLY,they will learn to understand what a gun is and what it can do,and more importantly, respect it and it's ability to do a person harm. I really think taking the curiosity factor out of it goes a long way tword their safety. BB guns are also a way to teach responsibilty and if they do have a lapse in judgment,(no kid is totally incapable of screwing up) the results won't be near as severe. But also remember your gun safety when handling your guns,because they will be watching to see if it is really that important (kids are smart,and they also get told alot of things that they don't understand and if they see you goofing with a gun after telling them the do's and dont's,they might be inclined to think you were just being bossy).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey voruzon,

Why don't you move up to wonderful Dutchess county. No permit needed here and we can own Ak's or whatever. Regarding your storage ideas the Homak cabinets are a good idea if you want to keep kids out. Bolting it to the wall if you want to keep teenagers from stealing it if they break in. However, if you are looking for real theft security you are going to have to spring for a safe. A sawsall and 30 seconds can pretty much take care of any of the cabinets. Even a lot of the safes are suceptable to the sawsall approach. Just takes more time because they are thicker.

Brett:rapid:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Right on, gun safety needs to be taught early and often. I started with a BB gun and that taught me plenty! I shot myself in the chin once and it hurt like hell! That was a ricochet off stairs because I wanted to try and break a rock. The BB bounced off the rock, off the stair, off the vertical part of the stair and into my chin! I immediately became aware of where the round might go! Perhaps if I'd been better educated about ricochets, I might have known better.

Another incident, I shot my brother in the back once as he was running to get away and my dad gave me hell about that!

Even with BB guns, kids need to be taught about safety. It CAN start there with no accidents and no regrets!

KC

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah KC I remember bb gun battles from my younger days. Once rolled a friend runng away with a shoulder shot with a pump up bb gun.Good thing he got over it cause he's on a swat team now. Damn were we dumb in those days.:confused:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Well me and my brother didn't shoot at each other with our BB guns, we only played war, and threw hand gernades (fire crackers), and fired morters (bottle rockets) at each other. Thats why my left ear has a 2% hearing loss.

·
Registered
287 Posts
canjungeo, I am deaf as a stump from not wearing hearing protection when I was younger.Some may call it macho, thinking back I call it STUPID.Sure helps though when wife asks me to do something. What did you say:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts