Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to go to the range tomorrow if the weather is ok. This is an all steel Taurus PT1911 45acp. This is not a Talo like I initially thought. It is a new for 2013 polished blued finish gun with a newly designed bulls head wooden grip. It looks like rosewood.

I took several photo's but could not get the blue sheen to come out in any of them. Must be something in the camera flash.

· Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally took it down and cleaned the manufacturer's grease out. I got to put a couple mag's through it but not enough for a comprehensive report. I was busy putting the other scope on my mini 30 and testing out my barrel cut and crown work.

I may have to send it back to Florida for a minor trigger adjustment of some sort but customer service said go ahead and finish my break in first.

· Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it is on its way back to Taurus for some sort of adjustment on the trigger. It doesn't appear to be a catastrophe but needs something and with free lifetime and considering it is a new gun I thought I might as well rotate it now.

I haven't been able to really wring it out and see how it shoots because of the trigger issue.

· Registered
8,460 Posts
Hi hottarod;

Sorry to read your piece has a trigger issue, looks like a beautiful gun though. Looking forward to a range report when you get 'er back.

Best,
Grumpy
PS Sorry to be a bother, but could you supply any information on the nature of the trigger issue? The old hobbyist in me is curious.

· Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apparently, this is a really strange problem because I have not found another post anywhere like this.

If I press the trigger with my finger oriented somewhat toward the lower part of the arc in the trigger, it will move a little bit, click and lock up without dropping the hammer.

I have to consciously hold my finger on the upper half of the trigger to get the hammer to drop.

The only thing I could think of was maybe there is an issue with the firing pin block. Otherwise, it seems like it would have to be some defect in the trigger itself. I hope they do indicate what the problem was but they don't always do that.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
One more reason to hate 80 series pistols.

But it is nice looking, and I'm sure they will get it taken care of for you.

· Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got my 1911 back from Miami. They replaced the firing pin, extractor and the hammer spring. Seems odd because it is a brand new gun unless somebody got it, tried it out, monkeyed with it and then took it back but I don't see how because my gun dealer gets their stuff directly from their distributors.

Anyways it shoots good now but is 1 inch low at 15 or 18 yards. I was shooting some no name 230 grain ball stuff and I only ran 20 rounds. It could be the ammo or it could be the Novak sights. 1 inch is easy enough to compensate for but I seem to recall reading that Novak makes a tall and short front sight for these guns.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Guess you'll need to try some different ammo to see if the POI changes. Also I'd check the POI at 25 yards and see if it's higher or lower.

Where in Texas? PM me........

· Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My new 1911 is on its way back to Miami again(third time now). After running a few rounds I discovered that the rear sight was loose. I tried to tighten it but the set screw had been stripped out. Can't tighten or loosen it now and it flops back and forth. Somebody had tried to stick it with loctite at Taurus.

I also noticed that the extractor and firing pin block had been hammered to death. Some sort of temp black was put on the extractor to try and cover up the hammer job. I found that when I oiled and wiped down the gun. You don't see it until you look closely. My new, unique to this gun, wooden grips were stolen by the Taurus repair shop also and replaced with some NRA grips.

See photo. My gun actually came back from Taurus repair like this;

It was rotated back the second time as above and I just got it back with all the same issues. Nothing was repaired at all even though it was suposedly inspected. I am in the process of ESCALATING these issues at the current time.

401 Posts
Man That Suxs

My new 1911 is on its way back to Miami again(third time now). After running a few rounds I discovered that the rear sight was loose. I tried to tighten it but the set screw had been stripped out. Can't tighten or loosen it now and it flops back and forth. Somebody had tried to stick it with loctite at Taurus.

I also noticed that the extractor and firing pin block had been hammered to death. Some sort of temp black was put on the extractor to try and cover up the hammer job. I found that when I oiled and wiped down the gun. You don't see it until you look closely. My new, unique to this gun, wooden grips were stolen by the Taurus repair shop also and replaced with some NRA grips.

See photo. My gun actually came back from Taurus repair like this;

It was rotated back the second time as above and I just got it back with all the same issues. Nothing was repaired at all even though it was suposedly inspected. I am in the process of ESCALATING these issues at the current time.
I heard good things about Taurus. Word was some guys from Colt were working for them with Colt,s old machinery. Must have just been Gossip. Its a horrible feeling to know that someone has treated your firearm with this sort of stupidity. I hope you can get to the bottom of this. I would go straight to customer relations if you have not already.

· Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My gun has been diverted from the repair shop to a department called Internal Review. I tried to make a case for the gun having been destroyed now by someone hammering or beating parts into it to make them fit. They won't make that determination until they get it back in house but my case has their attention now.

· Registered
898 Posts
Ya what happened to your 1911 ? my buddy has one , if your still having these same issues ,would like to know. Arizona has some of the best 1911 smiths in the country, would rather PAY to have it done rite rather than see a gun come back like that. Best of luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.