Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all! This is my first time visiting PerfectUnion.com and after reading numerous posts here, I feel like I would be pretty damn comfortable having a :beer: with just about anyone of the members!

I picked up my first mini-14 a few days ago for $500.oo and am worried I got ripped off after seeing forsale posts here for $425.oo. Here's a pic of the little gun:

It is serial #184-7xxxx. I know very little about mini-14's, and I've been reading these forums and I hear of several different models, such as the "ranch" and "SS". Can anyone tell me what model I have?

I can see no real way of attaching optics or red-dots(such as an EOTECH) to the weapon. The standard sights are really quite poor and I would prefer a non-ramping front sight with a smaller diameter peep at the rear.

I took the little gun out shooting yesterday and I love it! The thing is impossible to jam. It came with a couple of 40 rounders and a 20 rounder. I shot a 300rnd battle back of South African FMJ's and not a single failure. Only reservation is the fairly light barrel gets lightning hot after just a few rounds. I found myself getting touched a few times and would like a good barrel shroud to protect the interior of my truck as well as my fat fingers.

The safety mechanism seems overly tough to operate, but I don't dare remove the trigger group without a little help. Can anyone recommend some online resources to familiarize myself with this little gun? Seems like there is a wealth of information for my AR, but not a whole lot for the mini-14, but I really haven't looked all that hard.

I'd love to hear the "necessities" of owning a mini-14.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I wouldn't worry about having been ripped off. It looks like a standard blued mini with the factory folding stock. If you check out gun shows and auctions, a preban mini with a factory folder will sometimes go for $700 or more. The ranch model comes with scope rings, has side ejection, a folding rear peep, and is therefore better suited for a scope. However there are several scope mounts available for a standard mini, which yours appears to be. The SS simply means stainless steel. Looks like you got a good deal on the gun and possibly some good mags too, have fun.
-Grinch

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'd say great deal. Congrats!:D
If you write or call to Ruger directly I believe they will provide you with a manual for your firearm free of charge. Field stripping is easy once you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hey there mr ODC. Ruger will send you a copy of the instruction manual for your mini for free. Just write to STURM, RUGER & CO., Inc., Southport, Connecticut 06490 or you can go to their web site, http://www.ruger-firearms.com for some info, phone # etc.
The trigger comes out easy. After assuring the chamber is empty and mag. is out, Just stick a metal rod or screwdriver in the hole in the rear of trigger guard pry fwd, the trigger guard unlatches, and the whole assembley comes out just like an m-1, then stock comes off. better read the manule before going further than that.
I would say have fun with your mini, but it sounds like you already are.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Originally posted by OddDuckCarter
I took the little gun out shooting yesterday and I love it! The thing is impossible to jam. It came with a couple of 40 rounders and a 20 rounder. I shot a 300rnd battle back of South African FMJ's and not a single failure. Only reservation is the fairly light barrel gets lightning hot after just a few rounds. I found myself getting touched a few times and would like a good barrel shroud to protect the interior of my truck as well as my fat fingers.

The safety mechanism seems overly tough to operate, but I don't dare remove the trigger group without a little help. Can anyone recommend some online resources to familiarize myself with this little gun? Seems like there is a wealth of information for my AR, but not a whole lot for the mini-14, but I really haven't looked all that hard.

I'd love to hear the "necessities" of owning a mini-14.
Nice rifle you have there! Check out this site for some preliminary take down information.

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/7719/rug...isassembly.html

I'm told that Ruger will send you free of charge an owner's manual just for the asking. Good luck and good shooting!:usa:

·
Registered
685 Posts
nice mini!!! like the others said you did very well for your 500$. oh yea... welcome:cool: .it's always good to have another mini shooter here, there is no better BB for this rifle. later, josh:beer: :usa:

·
Registered
689 Posts
OddDuck it looks like you've gotten a very good deal there. I hope you enjoy your Mini. Theres alot of good info here and plenty of people that like the little rifle.;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am trying to become more familiar with the mini-14. Could you tell me how gas from the fired round enters the gas block and piston to operate the slide? Is there a port in the barrel? Thanks.

·
Registered
540 Posts
It very similar to a M1 Garand and M14/M1A
There is indeed a gas port in the barrel, inside the gas block there's a little nozzel (i'd call it a fixed piston) and the slide has cyclinder bored in it. Gun goes bang, gas shoots our the nozzel, operating rod goes back and forth. Its just that simple!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hey Doug, its a simple system as dijskit said, the only thing I might add as there is a gas bushing which is common to the barrel gas port, and the gas piston. This bushing is what several of us have swaped out to a smaller size to tone down the excessive recoil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts