Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what you guys use for targets! Where I live (Twin Falls, Idaho) there is usually a slight breeze, so we blow up ballons and let the wind blow them down range. They are bright in color, and you instantly know if you hit them.

Other times we take paper cups (get the red or green ones) and fill them about 1/2 full of baking flour. These work great for accuracy shooting and you get a nice report when hit.

Have fun shooting!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Those sound like fun ideas. I usually save milk jugs and other plastic containers from around the house, then fill them up with water and blaze away. You definitely know when you hit them. What else do you guys shoot at ??

·
Registered
689 Posts
A few of us here try and get out to a guys farm in late summer or early fall. He's got some apple trees by a creek, someone will toss them in upstream 2-3 at a time and one of us stands up on the bank and shoots. This make for some fast open site shooting. Alot more fun than the range.:D

·
Registered
153 Posts
Apples....sounds great! A heckuva spin on bobbing for'em. I usually shoot milk jugs. Lots of'em. I save all of ours, 2 or 3 of my neighbors just leave them on my back steps, my Mom and my In-laws save them... my basement is full of them right now...probably gettin on a couple hundred down there now. Yes I'm a little silly with it, but dangit, they're fun! My wife gripes about the basement being half full of milk cartons, but not at the range when she's havin at'em. When she has to send more than three or four well aimed shots after a stubborn one she generally gets frustrated and lets the whole mag go at it in a hurry. Temper temper. Try a half gallon tied to a low tree limb by a length of cord or tape so it swings free at 100-150 yds. Any breeze going and it gets challenging.:sniper:

·
Registered
689 Posts
If it's rained and the creeks high she moves pretty quick, you'll get maybe (if your fast) 6 aimed shots because the apples bob up and down. If the creek is low you can bust'em pretty good. Where we shoot your about 30 feet away and about 15ft. above the creek. The creeks about 20ft across. We have one guy that can out shoot most of us using a Springfield 45 pistol with us using rifles. It's pretty impressive watching him. If you guys ever get a chance to do some shooting like this give it a try. P.S it's alot harder than it looks.

·
Registered
685 Posts
i use 1/4 and 1/2 inch steelplates w/ earth sides very nice for .223 and pistols. .22's are great(w/subsonic ammo+10/22=). the .22 pancakes fall right to the bottom of the plate, the .223 pounds the hell out it. and yes it's safe,nowhere for the lead to go. later:D :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Frozen oranges make very good targets for 22Mag up to whatever you want to shoot them with. They explode!!!! Also the idea of the styrofoam cups filled with lime works well at extended ranges with the varmint rifles works. You will get a definite visual if you connect!!

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
As Grinch said, I like gallon milk jugs full of water. The Desert Eagle 50AE is most impressive. Makes a BIG splash!!!

:sniper:

Never tried frozen fruit.......hmmmmmm!!!! I can see your point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts