Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll soon have a tactical mini 14 in my hands that I plan on putting a scope on top of and then mounting 45* CQC sight. Not sure what I want as far as Red dot, Reflex, or Holographic.
The sight will be on a 45* mount on the front rail of the mini 14. Here's a generic pic of the rifle:

As I said, I plan on also having a scope, so the sight will only be used for out to 50, maybe 75 yards. Anything beyond that, I figure would be where the scope would come in to play.

Main thing I'm concerned about is the sight being fairly rugged, since it will be off to the side of the gun. I don't want to have to re-zero it or break it if I happen to set the gun down on it's right side by mistake or bump it into something.

I'd love to be under $150, am thinking $150-$250, but will go a little over that if I have to to get something I won't be replacing in a year. Gun will mainly be used at the range, possibly for defense, and SHTF situations. Any suggestions?

· Registered
3,861 Posts
I like holographics(reflex) better than barrel type red dots because you don't get the tunnel vision effect like with a scope. Other than that, your pocketbook is the limit. Even the Burris is over $200 generally. I started looking at refurb's but I have to have some magnification for rifle with my eyesight.

· Registered
5,429 Posts
Primary Arms

I have had their mini reflex for over a year on my RRA LAR8. For afraction of the price you will be happy with this one. I music wired the cover for quick removal without losing the cover. Many of these sights stay on dim under their cover. I have changed the battery once in a year.
But your concept is right on for having a close quick response or scope out to farther targets. I just can't get used to the canted mounts so mine sits up top the scope on a mount cap that has a rail mount.
Good Luck!

· Registered
65 Posts
I have a Aimpoint Comp M3 red dot on my mini tactical, love it. some good points

5 year contionus battery life
return to zero after taking on and off
crisp dot - not grainy or fuzzy
I was able to easily zero it under 20 rounds

10 brightness settings - I could see the dot easily in direct sunlight, low settings in the dark will not blind you, lowest setting works with night vision. and click knob is facing you

military proven, shock, water, etc. etc.

· Registered
157 Posts
will second the Truglo.Was skeptical until I tried my buddies.Was really quick on point and very accurate for 1x.

· Registered
65 Posts
A good alternative is the Aimpoint Pro its sold as a package and comes with everything u need; mount, flip cap lens caps and battery. Current prices I found 405.00 on Midway Usa and 408.00 Optics Planet.

there pricy but quality is quality, also lifetime warranty

If I was in the market at the moment i would get and Aimpoint Pro same stats as the Comp M3 you wouldnt be disapointed and get everything u need it one shot. and if it craps out 5-10 years down the line ur covered.

if not i strongly agree with the "glenwatkins" on the fast fire 3 just make shure its the 3MOA and not the 8MOA

either way good luck on the optics hunt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.