Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, long story short, overpaid for a mini14, but im ok with that.

Found an SKS, Norinco brand, no bayonet attached (or they have it in the back).

Wood looks good (clean and blemish free), metal looks good.

Place is asking $350 for it. I see them priced all over the board, so not sure if this is a good deal or not

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
Only if the barrel is not shot out.
Ive heard of full auto AK's that have over 50,000 rnds through them. I seriously doubt most anyone could shoot out the barrel of an SKS.

The enemy of SKS's and AK's is rust in the gas systems from lack of cleaning after shooting corosive primed ammo. If you maintain your SKS well it should last your lifetime and longer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Makes me wonder

I have a fairly minty Norinco SKS that I bought new about 20 years ago. Pinned barrel, no bayonet lug (ATF was making importers cut them off at the time.) and some of the usual scuffs from careless Chinese packing. I put about 50 rounds through it to make sure it worked (It did.), cleaned it and put it away.

Any input on what that might be worth today? Maybe it's time for me to get greedy. Either that, or give it to my younger son in the Marines.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi Splice, give it to your son--if he appreciates firearms that is. Have given my eldest quite a few. Colt 45, 700, 500 mossy, lever marlin, colt 380, and a nice SKS. He is in line for several more--don't want the lad to be under armed--lol. He has 18 yrs and is in the 82ond. Hope your son enjoys the old warhorse. SKSs are one of my favorite shooters.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I really like my type 56 chinese SKS,got it for $300 a couple of months a go,furniture was good,chrome barrel not pitted,matching serial numbers, and it shot(shoots) good.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I really never wonder if I am getting a good deal, it's more what am I willing to pay for a rifle. I 'think' that a price under 400 for an SKS is probably as good as you will likely see anytime soon. I tried to buy a couple back in January for 700 for the pair and another beat me to them. I wasn't wanting them to re-sell but to keep.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Maybe when the "Panic "subsides prices may get a little better but as of now my LGS says they just aren't getting any AKs or the like because none are hardly being imported. I am sure we will never see them for $100 anymore,if the serial numbers match and the furniture isn't firewood $300-$400 is probably par for the course now a days.....

·
Registered
64 Posts
My area plain jane "not a sino soviet"norinco goes for 350-400 depending on condition and if numbers off all the parts match.I have seen early russians go for 600-800,albainians go for same or more than russians.Generally european sks's"except yugo's"bring 200 more than Chinese.If its a bring back with papers,all bets are off.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
My area plain jane "not a sino soviet"norinco goes for 350-400 depending on condition and if numbers off all the parts match.I have seen early russians go for 600-800,albainians go for same or more than russians.Generally european sks's"except yugo's"bring 200 more than Chinese.If its a bring back with papers,all bets are off.
Sad to say but those numbers are consistent with what I'm seeing here. Really kills me that I passed on a Russki SKS for $400 a couple years back....

Funny how we remember the ones that got away and the ones we stupidly sold, but never seem to regret the ones that never worked out (hello Sig Mosquito).

Best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
267 Posts
I got a Norinco that was bought several years ago for 150 bucks. I don't think I would sell it for 4-500. They are great shooters, reliable and cheap to operate.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Did Apostle make the decision back in February? This topic began at that time.

The younger guys or really new shooters might not realize that in March '08 many all-original Norincos were often listed on GB by sellers at $270-300.

Of course the typical SKS never jumped much in price last December, because it was not a primary target for the type of politicians who exploited the tragedy in CT.
I am always thankful that ARs/AKs are the affordable glamour queens which shift such gigantic heaps of cash Away from other Classic Battle Rifles, whether Garands, Enfields etc.

An SKS with the TS-200 Tech Sight is a better rifle than many shooters realize.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just bought my first sks for 350 and out the door with taxes and everything was 380 it look great do not know much about them but it seems that it was made in 1980 and it has stamp trigger. I clean it, the barrel look like new, no rust. when I look at the barrel with the light it look like my mini 14 so I think I made a good buy and all the # match.
What do you guys think.

·
Registered
602 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
JUMP . ON . IT .

Even Classic Firearm (which is the cheapest on line dealer that I know) will end up cost more after the option of hand select, matching #, shipping and transfer fee.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Okay I bid on another SKS

Thanks Tommy< I was just bidding on one at GB. I'll let it go and get one of these.
:D
I just got it yesterday from a seller on GB. Exactly as he described it and the photos portrayed it accuratly 95% blue and 90% on the stock. Factory 26 and a basically new chrome chamber and bore with all the extras, kit, bayo, and sling. Did a check up on her last night, and fired five shots (in the rain) today after work off my deck, off hand at a 25 yd position and I am soo happy with the results. I never liked the feel of the AK but I needed a 7.62x39 rifle. I can't wait to do a formal sit down with her.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.