Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, I was shooting a "naked" muzzle carbine at an indoor range and noticed how M193 had noticeably greater noise and muzzle flash. Honestly, I was joking that I needed sunglasses!

Anyway, this morning I had the opportunity to shoot my new AR15 at the same indoor range. This weapon is also a carbine length setup but has a standard A2-style flash suppressor. What a difference! I have to say, with the same ammo, I saw almost NO flash at all. On the other hand, she was LOUD as heck! I seem to recall that in times past, when guys were shooting with various muzzle brakes, compensators or flash suppressors, the noise to the side of them seemed greater. I wasn't sure what to expect with this environment, as I had never before fired a short-barreled AR with an A2 suppressor indoors.

Just wanted to thank the Army for all the time and money they spent decades ago to design a replacement for the old three-prong suppressor on the M16A1 that caught all the vines and twigs! The A2 birdcage works!

Be well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Same, while there’s a lot of interesting brake/flash hider/muzzle devices, the A2 is a design that really does it all well while being very compact & light. The only device I really could say made a noticeable difference is a JP Tank brake, but it’s so comically big & heavy it’s useless for anything besides tabletop shooting.

·
Patron Saint of Rye
552 Posts
Same, while there’s a lot of interesting brake/flash hider/muzzle devices, the A2 is a design that really does it all well while being very compact & light. The only device I really could say made a noticeable difference is a JP Tank brake, but it’s so comically big & heavy it’s useless for anything besides tabletop shooting.
there are lots of muzzle devises significantly more effecting than an A2.

·
Banned
2,863 Posts
Lexington,
Although it is of the "open-tine" design, the smith enterprises "vortex" is probably the best flash hider that is just a flash hider. It rings like a tuning fork with each shot however. I've tested them at night, from rifles and carbines, while DOWNRANGE(although offset to the side), and from rifles, there is no visible flash. Carbines had a barely perceptible flash. Using starlight scopes and thermals, however, the signature was not changed much.

Reactions: Bepe and mlin

·
Registered
23 Posts
A2 flash hider is rock solid and super cheap. I am a fan of SEI Vortex, which is one of the most effective hider, but priced much higher than A2.

·
Banned
2,863 Posts
very true.....

Reactions: Bepe

·
Registered
195 Posts
I do not need an expensive flash suppressor, for my needs a $6 bird cage does quite nicely. When I need more, I just screw on a suppressor, depending on velocity, the only thing left is the super sonic crack. A Form 1 can only costs a bit more than some fancy flash hiders.
By the way a FNG going up the stairs at out Bat HQ, in and out of the guys going down the stairs, clipped me in the mouth with a tulip flash suppressor on an XM-16 E1, they catch more than vines. I left a tooth on those stairs, never liked the tulips since.

·
Banned
2,863 Posts
OUCH!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts