Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Libertarian
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since I go to the farm for shooting I would like a vest or pouch system for my mini 30, 870 shotgun and pistol so Im not taking up table space from others as well as to keep my things organized.

My question is anyone know of a good load out system for a mini 30 (20 round mags), 12ga and a 45acp pistol? I dont want to be a PX ranger wannabe, just want to keep my gear situated when going to the farm. Thanks yall!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a bunch of gear I acquired or bought for cheap in the Marines. One set up I like is the old school Y harness and belt. You can add or subtract all kinds of pouches and holsters as you need. If you get a ton of weight a H harness would be better. With this setup you can use Alice and mollie gear. You could also go with a Mollie vest and do the same thing but it definitely looks more military.

·
Libertarian
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking at some old GI stuff on midway and I like the functionality of it, but I dont have AR mags to compare to my mini 30 mags. I may just grab the surplus set on midway and hope for the best. I want durability and functionality without sending the wrong message to those around me and those who monitor. I just want to organize my gear at the farm for the sake of others.

·
Registered
302 Posts
If I am taking a lot of guns and accessories somewhere I use something like this.
Pelican Products 1640 Transport Case

Its large and bulky but my guns don't get dinged up because of the custom fitted foam "pull tabs". I can fit everything into it, (some guns may need to be broken down), I can take along some tools and spare parts if something breaks, it doubles as its own table and work bench, and its virtually indestructable.

I know you were asking about a chest rig, but, I wanted to show you something else :D:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I keep my rifles in a soft case, and my belt with mag pouches for both rifle and pistol, in my range bag. the bag holds my cleaning kit, lube, the belt rig(which holds 2 pistol and 2 rifle mags) extra mags for both, stapler, tape, first aid kit and ear&eyes. My Mini 20rd mags fit fine in AR pouches, but I also have Magpuls on them

·
Libertarian
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I keep my rifles in a soft case, and my belt with mag pouches for both rifle and pistol, in my range bag. the bag holds my cleaning kit, lube, the belt rig(which holds 2 pistol and 2 rifle mags) extra mags for both, stapler, tape, first aid kit and ear&eyes. My Mini 20rd mags fit fine in AR pouches, but I also have Magpuls on them
Awesome information! How many 20 rounders can fit in an ar pouch typically?

·
Registered
169 Posts
A system I've come to appreciate and really like is the Pre-MOLLE USGI Tactical Load-Bearing Vest (Enhanced.)

It comes in standard Woodland Camo so it certainly has that "military" look (Aftermarket versions of varying quality come in other colors) but regardless it's becoming increasingly popular for hikers/campers because of its usefulness and extremely low price. You can easily get one w/ the required Pistol Belt for $15-$20 and even before adding any ALICE/MOLLE pouches you like it will carry 6 20-30rd AR15/Mini 14/30 magazines plus 2 grenade pouches.

I use the Patrol Pack from the awesome CFP-90 Rucksack System instead of a Buttpack and wear a Chicom-style chest rig under it for my 40rd Mini-14 mags.

·
Libertarian
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The obes I use are HSGI Tacos, they only hold one mag each. The are for 30rndrs but work well with my 20s with Magpuls. They are mounted on an old GI pistol belt.
Seriously considering this:

Military Surplus Load Bearing Vest (LBV) Holds 6 AR-15 30 Round Mags 2

A system I've come to appreciate and really like is the Pre-MOLLE USGI Tactical Load-Bearing Vest (Enhanced.)

It comes in standard Woodland Camo so it certainly has that "military" look (Aftermarket versions of varying quality come in other colors) but regardless it's becoming increasingly popular for hikers/campers because of its usefulness and extremely low price. You can easily get one w/ the required Pistol Belt for $15-$20 and even before adding any ALICE/MOLLE pouches you like it will carry 6 20-30rd AR15/Mini 14/30 magazines plus 2 grenade pouches.

I use the Patrol Pack from the awesome CFP-90 Rucksack System instead of a Buttpack and wear a Chicom-style chest rig under it for my 40rd Mini-14 mags.
Would you mind taking a picture of the setup? If not I understand. A pack would be nice as well, but I think it would get in the way of any vest setup. I do have an old pistol belt for my holster I am considering getting pouches for as I could use a pack with the belt and be able to pack food, water, first aide, etc much easier.

·
Registered
186 Posts

What's the difference between the regular version of the load bearing vest, and the enhanced version? I have the regular version.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I was looking at some old GI stuff on midway and I like the functionality of it, but I dont have AR mags to compare to my mini 30 mags. I may just grab the surplus set on midway and hope for the best. I want durability and functionality without sending the wrong message to those around me and those who monitor. I just want to organize my gear at the farm for the sake of others.
Mini-14 20-round and 30-round mags fit nicely in the appropriate load-bearing equipment pouches, at least those from the 60's through 80's. The Vietnam era universal ammo pouches can take 3-4 20-round mags, but are too short for 30-round mags. They were originally designed to hold two BAR magazines or a complete M-1 Garand bandoleer folded accordion-style. M-14 mags fit OK, but they are a little loose. I used to make dividers from C-Ration box cardboard and 100-MPH tape to keep the mags from banging together and making noise. I could also find room for a .45 mag on the side. When we got issued M-16s, I was able to get four 20-round M-16 mags into a universal pouch. We used to put a first-aid bandage packet in the bottom to raise the 4 mags for easier access and to have extra compress bandages available.

·
Libertarian
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mini-14 20-round and 30-round mags fit nicely in the appropriate load-bearing equipment pouches, at least those from the 60's through 80's. The Vietnam era universal ammo pouches can take 3-4 20-round mags, but are too short for 30-round mags. They were originally designed to hold two BAR magazines or a complete M-1 Garand bandoleer folded accordion-style. M-14 mags fit OK, but they are a little loose. I used to make dividers from C-Ration box cardboard and 100-MPH tape to keep the mags from banging together and making noise. I could also find room for a .45 mag on the side. When we got issued M-16s, I was able to get four 20-round M-16 mags into a universal pouch. We used to put a first-aid bandage packet in the bottom to raise the 4 mags for easier access and to have extra compress bandages available.
Thanks for the info! But I have a mini 30 and the 7.62x39 mags are a bit bigger so Im after ak sized pouches. I think Im going to get 2 pouch sets for a total of 8 mags and get them for the belt so I can still carry a day pack on the farm.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry I missed that part about Mini-30, MD. I agree that the Mini-30 mags are not a good fit for M-16 pouches. That old-style universal pouch should hold at least 2 of the 20-round Mini-30 mags, but kinda loose. If you have 30-round mags, AK gear is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I have typical US issue M4/16 mag pouches for my 20 round mags, and AK pouches for the 30 round.
The 20 rounds may be a little shorter but its not bad. Pulls are easy to make and install.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Thanks for the info! But I have a mini 30 and the 7.62x39 mags are a bit bigger so Im after ak sized pouches. I think Im going to get 2 pouch sets for a total of 8 mags and get them for the belt so I can still carry a day pack on the farm.
Try a Romanian RPK pouch set; each shoulder bag holds 4x40 shot mags (30's fit fine but 20's tend to get lost in all that canvas). keepshooting.com used to have 'em for under $15 each IIRC. Attached is a pic of one of my bail out kits I assembled for special circumstances (different tools for different situations...).

All the best,
Grumpy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.