Perfect Union banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I got my dads old ranch rifle back from my brother after three years. Its a stainless type. Before my dad passed he put a red dot on it and chopped the front sight off, the parts for the rear sight are gone also. BTW he chopped the sight, not the barrel. The raised material for the front sight is still there.

The gun is going to be used as a blaster, hundred yard gun, so to say. I am not looking to drive tacks, and would be fine with three inch groups at a hundred yards with irons only.

Here is what I have besides whats mentioned above. I have a few LE twenty rounders that I never use, and one ten round. I plan on getting two more ten round mags. I found a wooden top handguard for that WWII garand look. The black mags and the wooden handguard give the gun a modern day garand carbine from back in time look. Also it has a stainless accustrut with black clamps. The black on stainless looks cool.

Anyway I gotta get some sights. In keeping with the modern end of things I had wanted some tritium sights from XS. But I dont know if that is the way to go. I would like the better low light usefullness but I want durability foremost. I also want a normal notch type rear sight that doesnt fold down. Its been about 3+ years since I ever looked into any of this and I really forgot what was around at the time. Plus I dont know whats come around since. I have heard that there is a better rear sight on the newer ranch rifles. I will also consider a peep type sight, especially if it works well with the tritium front. I just dont like the look of the XS rear peep for the ranch rifle model. It looks fragile to me. Also I want to use black sights to go with the black on stainless theme. One last thing, I have a drill press but other than that is mostly hand tools and dremel for me. But I am good at using them, and could modifiy another rifles sight if needed, not cutting into the rifle at all though.

Another thing I got to figure out is a sling, and sling mounts. But I am waiting on that until I get the sights figured out.

Unfortunatly I dont know the serial number range of the rifle. And I am at work for a week so I cant post any pictures. But I promise to post some after I get home, I know how people hate the "pics, or it never happened". I am one of them.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Don't know about the front sight, but TechSights makes makes an excellent rear sight, they also make a a 1" GI style sling in both OD green and black.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I posted in your XS thread, but I have this to add here:

Whatever you do, if you're planning on purchasing a sling and using it properly (as a shooting support), DO NOT simply use the sling swivel on the gas block. When slung tight, you WILL change your POI due to the pressure you're applying to the block. Trust me...

The best way to install a sling that will be used as a shooting support is by using a Harris HB2 adapter and machine screw stud (for synthetic stocks) or a wood screw stud (for wood stocks...) and installing it 1-2" back from the gas block on the forearm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts