Perfect Union banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2010 Mini 30 that I took to the range back when I bought it and fired no more than three rounds out of ten of Wolf / Golden Dragon Ammo. I put it in the closet.

After years of googling, and much thought I am convinced this is a matter of checking and possibly adjusting the strike depth of the firing pin. Maybe those Wolff springs would help, but given that some stock Rugers have no problem digesting steel ammo, I am inclined to think it's manufacturing tolerances, or at least I'd look into that first.

I called Accuracy systems and described my situation. Their response was that a stronger spring might solve my problem. I am no gunsmith, but this guy is on to something (wish he had better taste in music). I would do what he recommends, but not without a depth gauge.

Maybe I'll buy a depth gauge, but in the interests of being thorough; are there any recommendations as to gunsmiths in the NY/NJ/CT area who are willing to really address this issue? Heck, maybe I would take a drive to PA.

Where would I find the range of firing pin protrusions to check mine?

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
You'll be alot happier with your mini 30 if you feed it the ammo it likes. Wolf is military grade ammo made with hard primers for use in full-auto AK's and the Russian designed SKS. This subject has been discussed ad-nausium in this forum. The mini-30 was designed to use U.S. made brass case boxer primed sporting ammo. That being said, the following ammo has a reputation of working trouble free in the mini-30: Barnaul Silver & Gold Bear (NOT Brown Bear), Fiocchi, S & B (boxer primed brass case), Lapua, All US made brass case boxer primed ( Federal, Remington, Winchester), Yugoslavian surplus ( corrosively primed- so clean well immediately after use). Avoid using anything else not on this list
There is nothing wrong with your mini. It is working as designed. Resist the urge to put a stronger spring on it to fire the cheaper Eastern Block and Chinese steel case military ammo. This will likely lead to shorter life of your firing pin (another subject that has been talked to death here.)

Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts