Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am thinking about getting a mini-14 for all around use. mostly just shooting targets and other random critters when i am up in the mountians.
but i also wanted to know if the mini-14 will make a good deer rifle? i dont deer hunt much, but i would like to.

·
Registered
322 Posts
No
The .223 is way two small and is not legal in most states. .308 or 30-06 are normaly your best bet but there are a ton of variables. Give us more detail. where from, brushy or open etc. Back where I grew up a 80 yd shot was long and 30-30 or even .44 mag was OK. Out west where the shots are longer it's a different set of considerations. I would be very uncomfortable shooting less than 125 grains of lead at a deer sized animal. However if you are some place like the peoples republic of Virginia where the deer are rabbit sized that's different. Can't go wrong with a .308 or 30-06 but there are a lot of variables that might make one of a couple dozen calibers make more sence.

Clear as mud.

Jeff :usa:

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have a close friend that regularly deer hunts with a Mini-30. She has had great results with the 7.62x39 round as she keeps her shots to less that 125 yds and uses commercial ammo.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hey quacker, jeff is right the mini-14 is too small for deer. I know everyone has heard of someone killing a deer with a .22 cal, but how many did they wound to crawl off somewhere to die, before they finally killed one. It makes me shudder to think of it. A mini thirty would work at close range (100 yd or so), but personally for deer I'd get a .243 winchester or larger cal. Check the hunting laws in your state. There may be a bullet weight limit for legal use. I use a .308 Rem. The mini-14 is good for varmints i.e. coyette, bobcat, ****, etc., plinking, having fun shooting cans etc., but it doesn't have enough ft lbs of energy for larger game. Its kinda like using a tack hammer to straighten out a bent bumper, on your truck. Like my papy used to tell me, "use the right tool for the job." Were not trying to discourge ya just trying to keep the game warden off ya.;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was thinking about getting a 30-06 for a while untill i shot my buddies gun and after about 10 shots i was done for the day. that just does not sound like much fun. a min-14 and some 30 round clips, now that sounds like fun!

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Your right about a 30-06 kicken ya, thats why i like the .308, and I have shot it all day. The mini is more fun to shoot, and is way cheeper to.

·
Registered
322 Posts
iamquaker
Don't for a minute mean to discourage the Mini as a plinking and varmint weapon. I love mine. It is just that the round is to light. Also out of the box accuracy leaves something to be desired at 100yds and beyond. I also feel the mini 30 is borderline especially if you are shooting at the large northern or western deer (I think it is specifically banned in WI along with .30 carbine and all bullets under .24 caliber). The .243 is great if you are recoil shy and has a nice flat trajectory. However I happen to subscribe to the theory that a heavier bullet will penetrate brush better (yes I will listen to arguments but I’m 41 so I am to stubborn to change). There are a lot of other calibers with light recoil and sufficient power available (.257 Roberts, 7mm mauser and 7mm-08 come immediately to mind). However, if you are going to shoot much, look at some catalogs like sportsman’s guide, and cheaper than dirt along with the shelf at your local wall-mart to make sure you can get the ammunition without much trouble. Remember that Full Metal Jacket is not for hunting. It is required by the Hauge convention for military specifically because it does less damage. If you told us a little more about the deer hunting in your area we could probably be more helpful. For instance while a Ruger .44 carbine with an aimpioint would be excellent in the swamps of northern WI it would be about as useful as Tits on a bull out here and Vs versa with a nice Remington model 700 in .243 with a Leupold 3x9.
Remember that the most important thing is to hit where you are aiming and have the patience to wait until you can aim at the right place. Recoil is not an issue while deer hunting because you should only be shooting one shot. However if you develop a flinch that one shot will result in a miss or wounded animal even if you are shooting a .375 H&H. I use the paper plate rule. Find out how far you can consistently hit a paper plate in each position; standing, prone sitting kneeling and with a rest against a tree if possible (hard to do at a range). Limit your shoots to these distances. “Spray and pray” has no place in hunting. This method also helps with any lack of practice. If your are not the greatest shot you will know it and have an accurate assessment of your abilities, simply don’t exceed them. As I was taught growing up “never point a gun at anything you don’t intend to shoot and don’t shoot at anything you don’t intend to kill.” Wounded game is a waist of resources causes unnecessary suffering and gives us all a black eye not just with the antis but with the normally indifferent sheep.
Well that was overly long. Hope I didn’t confuse you.
Jeff
:usa:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts