Perfect Union banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
On the budget issue, and being a miser myself (but not so much to go low-quality), I have an low-cost but high-quality suggestion. Take it FWIW.

The Swiss K31. Wood stock, great price (though they've risen quite a bit lately, but what hasn't?).

I've read great things about them, but have also seen results. A guy at the range I frequent has one, and he's always hitting black at 100 yards (the range's max distance) using iron sights.

It's the least expensive option for target shooting, but in my limited experience will perform as well, and is of as good a quality, as much more expensive alternatives.

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
And I'm done asking for advice. It's a pretty common trend across almost all message boards that when you ask for advice there's always a couple of people around to chide you for not having more money to spend.

Anyway, I've decided to build an HBAR AR-15. Sure it won't be a great gun for absurdly long distances, but I'll be happy with it.
Thats a good choice. :beer:

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Huh yeah beer cool

Maybe he should go buy himself a Remington "VPS" :lol:
Okay, so it was a mistake. Thanks for mentioning it........ again. And I was cheering him for his decision on the AR. Feel better?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just to update everyone, I tried to order an HBAR 20" from Del-Ton, but despite what they told me when they called, my order was put on indefinite backorder....so I cancelled it. I did happen to find a standard length Rock River AR with a match trigger and two 20 round mags for $800, so I bought it and got a Nikon 3-9x40 for it. I won't be punching holes at 500 yards with it as is, but I can always buy an HBAR upper later once they become more readily available. In the meantime, I'm going to have some serious fun at the 100 yard range near my house.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. Glad you got a nice gun and I'm sure you will enjoy it very much. I have a CZ 527 carbine in .223 with a leupold 3-7x33, it's a very accurate range/plinking fun gun. Give us a range report when you get some rounds through it.

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Just to update everyone, I tried to order an HBAR 20" from Del-Ton, but despite what they told me when they called, my order was put on indefinite backorder....so I cancelled it. I did happen to find a standard length Rock River AR with a match trigger and two 20 round mags for $800, so I bought it and got a Nikon 3-9x40 for it. I won't be punching holes at 500 yards with it as is, but I can always buy an HBAR upper later once they become more readily available. In the meantime, I'm going to have some serious fun at the 100 yard range near my house.
Why not? I had a stock Bushmaster 20" A-3 that I topped with a VX-1 Leupold. Shot it at the 600 yard range and even in F-Class matches. Not easy to adjust the MOA because the lack of target knobs but still I did it and hit the target even with some X's once in a while. Don't sell it short until you try it, you might be suprised. Than again, I could be wrong but it doesn't hurt to try something new. Get on at the 300 yard then give her a try at longer shots.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Howa 1500, you can get a brand new one from gunbroker for less than $600. It's the most accurate bolt action out of the box that I have ever bought. Plus they come with Hogue stocks which are the best. They have them in .223, .22-250, .270, .243, .308 (mine), .30-06 and more. Go to http://legacysports.com/products/howa/index.html .

My personal favorite bolt action rifle. I have sold off my Ruger and Remington...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Fellows
New here, first post so be kind. I was recently looking to step up from .22LR
shooting and seeing as my other option is a Browning BBR in .300 Win. So between my pocket book and rotatorcuff surgery that one was no longer fun to shoot. I picked up a Thompson Center Icon in .243, it's the walnut/matte finish unit and I must say this is real nice. $680 plus tax so just over $700. Haven't had much range time with it but after zeroing 3 shots @100 yards under 3/4 inch.

Later
Rich

The round at 11:00 was from the target above when I was zeroing the scope......really guys

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
You guys want a good shooting bolt gun, see the post on the REM VTR rifle. Look for the post about Savagegunsmithing.

Best Regards, John K

21 - 30 of 30 Posts