Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very new to target shooting, and I'd like to have a bolt action rifle. I was looking at the Savage 93R17, but after looking at them at Cabelas I'm not so sure that's the way I want to go. I also like the look of Savage's model 25 varminter rifle, but I haven't had a chance to look at one.

What would you guys recommend as a good bolt action rifle for target shooting in the $800 range that's not too expensive to shoot? I'm open to all suggestions rimfire and centerfire alike, however I don't particularly like composite stocks and would prefer a wooden stock.

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Another good suggestion would be the Remington Varmint 700 with the 26" barrel. Same action/barrel as the more expensive 700 police sniper but way cheaper, should be able to get it for around $500. Then buy some good glass and save some dough to buy a decent stock like a McMillan or H&S.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That looks like a nice rifle, but they're definitely at the top end of my budget. I'll keep them in mind.

·
Registered
411 Posts
That looks like a nice rifle, but they're definitely at the top end of my budget. I'll keep them in mind.
True they are running at about 1000 bucks but if a 200 dollar difference is your deciding factor perhaps you should wait until buying a new gun isn't a financial burden.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not a burden so much as it cutting into what I'll have left over for a scope. I'm about to get a $1200 check from some work that I've been doing for McGraw-Hill over the last two months, and I'm wanting to buy a new rifle with it. If I could keep the rifle in the $700-$800 range, that'll leave somewhere between $400 and $500 for a scope. A $1000 rifle means cheap glass, if any, until I can save up some more money.

I still haven't decided exactly what I want, but it's either going to be a bolt-action or an AR15.

·
Registered
411 Posts
It's not a burden so much as it cutting into what I'll have left over for a scope. I'm about to get a $1200 check from some work that I've been doing for McGraw-Hill over the last two months, and I'm wanting to buy a new rifle with it. If I could keep the rifle in the $700-$800 range, that'll leave somewhere between $400 and $500 for a scope. A $1000 rifle means cheap glass, if any, until I can save up some more money.

I still haven't decided exactly what I want, but it's either going to be a bolt-action or an AR15.
I know but it's all relative. It would still only be a difference of 200 bucks.

In the 700-800 price range you're pretty much stuck buying a Remington VLS or a Ruger M77 varmint. If you MUST have a wood stock, which again is not a popular feature on most target rifles.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wooden stock isn't a necessity, but I haven't found many composite stocks that I like. Then again, for a serious target rig most wind up upgrading their stock anyway, right?

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Buy the Rem 700 VPS and later look for a take off H&S stock from someone who is reworking a 700p. And a good scope will be difficult but not impossible to find in your planning range, take some time and look.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Buy the Rem 700 VPS and later look for a take off H&S stock from someone who is reworking a 700p. And a good scope will be difficult but not impossible to find in your planning range, take some time and look.
You mean a VLS right? Certainly not the SPS :lol:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Wooden stock isn't a necessity, but I haven't found many composite stocks that I like. Then again, for a serious target rig most wind up upgrading their stock anyway, right?
You clearly have some more thinking to do about what you really want. Check out some more guns stores and websites.

Just realize that HS Precision stocks are not cheap and neither is a custom wood stock.

I'm not sure what a "serious target rig" is but I know it can't be had for 700 bucks :(

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ok here comes the boat rocker, me . When someone suggest a Remington
I'm reminded that they have a faulty safty system on the 700 & 710
rifles that have resulted in several bad mishaps, foot blown off, young
child being killed by a parent unloading a 700 with the safty on.
Remington knows about this but still keeps putting out these guns
with bad safties without warning the buyers about the problem. Yes they have known this for years. They would rather pay out of court settlements
than fix the problem. They do have a new safty system, but they
would rather sell bad parts than dump the parts. Buy a Pemington
if you feel lucky. Not me. :angry: :angry:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Ok here comes the boat rocker, me . When someone suggest a Remington
I'm reminded that they have a faulty safty system on the 700 & 710
rifles that have resulted in several bad mishaps, foot blown off, young
child being killed by a parent unloading a 700 with the safty on.
Remington knows about this but still keeps putting out these guns
with bad safties without warning the buyers about the problem. Yes they have known this for years. They would rather pay out of court settlements
than fix the problem. They do have a new safty system, but they
would rather sell bad parts than dump the parts. Buy a Pemington
if you feel lucky. Not me. :angry: :angry:
The stories are a bit troubling aren't they?

That's why I told him to buy the TC ICON PH

I think I'm done with these "what should I buy" threads though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I'm done with these "what should I buy" threads though.
And I'm done asking for advice. It's a pretty common trend across almost all message boards that when you ask for advice there's always a couple of people around to chide you for not having more money to spend.

Anyway, I've decided to build an HBAR AR-15. Sure it won't be a great gun for absurdly long distances, but I'll be happy with it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
And I'm done asking for advice. It's a pretty common trend across almost all message boards that when you ask for advice there's always a couple of people around to chide you for not having more money to spend.

Anyway, I've decided to build an HBAR AR-15. Sure it won't be a great gun for absurdly long distances, but I'll be happy with it.
Didn't mean to offend you man, I just thought you weren't very clear on what you wanted. Obviously I was right because you've decided to build an AR. :confused:

I merely suggested to spend an extra 200 bucks for a gun that seemed to fit your description PERFECTLY!

You're HBAR build will probably end up costing the same amount as the ICON.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you sir.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Weatherby Vanguard with synthetic stock is under 500 bucks and it shoots like a Remington 700 . They are out of the box Sub-MOA accuracy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Didn't mean to offend you man, I just thought you weren't very clear on what you wanted. Obviously I was right because you've decided to build an AR. :confused:

I merely suggested to spend an extra 200 bucks for a gun that seemed to fit your description PERFECTLY!

You're HBAR build will probably end up costing the same amount as the ICON.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you sir.
No offense taken, I've been asking that kind of questions on message boards long enough to know why types of answers I'll get. Anyway, I never said I was opposed to spending over $1k, but that's almost all I've got and Iv'e got to make this money go as far as it can (my wife is understanding, but I
don't want to push it too far if you know why I mean). That being said, I can have an operational HBAR for less than $700 minus optics. Spend the rest on a scope and I shouldn't have too much trouble with 200 to 300 yard shooting.

·
Registered
411 Posts
No offense taken, I've been asking that kind of questions on message boards long enough to know why types of answers I'll get. Anyway, I never said I was opposed to spending over $1k, but that's almost all I've got and Iv'e got to make this money go as far as it can (my wife is understanding, but I
don't want to push it too far if you know why I mean). That being said, I can have an operational HBAR for less than $700 minus optics. Spend the rest on a scope and I shouldn't have too much trouble with 200 to 300 yard shooting.
I hear ya.

Put a nice fast twist on her to shoot the heavy stuff and you'll be able to go 600 yards no problem.

·
Registered
406 Posts
myersn024 said:
What would you guys recommend as a good bolt action rifle for target shooting in the $800 range that's not too expensive to shoot?
Savage model 12BVSS in a .223 for serious target/sod-poodle work or a Ruger 10/22 heavy barrel for short range target (50 yards) and general plinking. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts