Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Another great article, Grumpy! And oh, how the times and attitudes have changed since '58. Certainly not for the better. You're right.....it's fun to browse through the magazine. Thanks....

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Another great article, Grumpy! And oh, how the times and attitudes have changed since '58. Certainly not for the better. You're right.....it's fun to browse through the magazine. Thanks....
Hi Harper;

I just loved the speculation in that article that the reason for the selector lock was so that the DCM could sell 'em to civvies with the locks instead of switches! Can you imagine the look on Big Sis' face if the Army started surplussing out M14's with selector locks and a big notice not to fit the switches?! We're just lucky we can still get M1A's and twenty bangers...

All the best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
When I was active in the Air Force every armory I ever got to look into had a few M14's. They never seemed to be taken out, but they were there. "How did you ever get to look into an armory" you ask? I did military funerals part time for 8 of my 30 years in the military. We used NM Garands. Can't send someone off with honors using a regular Garand. Out funeral NM Garands were kept in the base armory.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.