Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just used the last of my power pistol powder, it is good and works in everything i reload (9mm, 40sw, 38sp,). but the only thing i dislike about it is the muzzle flash. i use it for defense rounds and fired a few at night and it is blinding. i was thinking that win 231 would be a good alternitive, but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions. the powders i can get locally are alliant, winchester and hodgon. and i use a redding powder measure. thanks:)

·
Registered
367 Posts
In the S&W forum, its mutually agreed upon that Unique is the best overall powder for revolvers. Not sure about pistols, but I'm guessing its fine for the most part.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Asking for the best is opening a large can of worms--lol. Have come to like ball powders because Unique/others are always "bridging" my powder chute.

·
Registered
370 Posts
For what its worth I use Unique the most. I think its Bullseye that I use that comes in a close second for use on loads that use heavier bullets and loaded in more potent rounds like 41, 44 magnums. I like these two because they also work well in my shotgun loads as well. They also work well in some reduced rifle loads I use as well.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I pretty much agree with what's been said already.
As LF says, Unique is quite versatile and also works in reduced rifle loads, which makes it ideal for much of my reloading.
There's no powder that excels in every application, but is having two or three powders in your collection that difficult to manage? You'll likely buy another can of Powder X at some point and that's not much different than having a can of Powder X and Powder Y on the shelf right now.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sounds like you want to run hot. Look for a fast burning powder for a handgun.

Burn Rate

I don't crave recoil and velocity. I use American Select for all my competition loads. 45 ACP, 38SPL, 45 Colt, and 12 gauge. These are Wild Bunch and SASS. I also use it for the clay games. The clays require more powder but AS will get 'er done.

Supposed to be the cleanest burning powder. At least, it says so in the ads.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you are happy with Power Pistol, then go to Silhouette or True Blue.
I consider 231/HP38 a better all around non-magnum powder, particularly for .38 Special.
If I had to choose one powder, it would be 231/HP38 (with AA2 or AA5 being very close behind).
For max loads in non-magnum cartridges, my go-to powder is Silhouette.
For magnum pistols of all kinds, my go-to powder is 2400.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I used to do everything with Bullseye and AA#9 but stopped reloading when I got serious with work (and free ammo).

·
Registered
8,135 Posts
power pistol is the easier-to-meter Unique. does have more flash than Unique.
Red Dot (flake powder and fast burn rate) is both low flash and clean - but unfortunately some trouble to meter consistently, better suited to cast slugs or loads for fmj's where low flash is desired.

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
I always keep a good supply of AA No 5. Second is Bullseye and then Unique. I don't have any pistols, but load a crap load of 45 Colt for my rifle using all three. Use Bullseye and Unique in the 45-70.

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
I recently changed from unique to hodgdens "universal"-it's almost a match to unique,and easier to find at times.It still is no 2400 for the heavy magnums,H110 fits that bill!;)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
...Bullseye that I use that comes in a close second for use on loads that use heavier bullets and loaded in more potent rounds like 41, 44 magnums....
Bullseye, in a Magnum load? I tried it, and the results were boring. Bullseye just burns too fast for big bore magnums to be really effective.

I use Bullseye in 9mm, 40S&W and 45acp. 2400 is my choice for .357, .41 and .454 Casull.

·
M.I.A.
1,474 Posts
I am going to be experimenting with HS6 for 38 +p loads in the 140-160gr weight range. It seems like the secret is to use magnum primers. I was reading on the SW forums about some trying it with 9mm and 40sw, but seemed inconclusive.

I also use bullseye for 38 spl, and 2400 for 357 cases.

·
Vigilant Curmudgeon
371 Posts
I still have a pound of Unique...working it down from a lot (6lbs.) I bought 10+ yrs ago. It has served me well. for .38 SPEC. .357Mag. .41MAG. .44 MAG. practice loads

·
Vigilant Curmudgeon
371 Posts
You sir, need to shoot more. :lol:
My 1911's .45 Colts have been getting a diet of American Select , cause it's so clean burning . Unique has been on the "almost"forgotten list.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts