Perfect Union banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if there is any distinction between a Colt Gold Cup "Trophy" and a "National Match" - which is better or more desireable for a series 80. I had allways assumed that the Gold Cup National Match and the Trophy were the same gun. However, I saw one advertised as "National Match, not the Trophy". The National Match guns have a little trophy on them, does that mean anything

Very Confused - someone please clarify - also another stupid question, what does "Enhanced" mean. The reason for asking is that I saw what I believe to be a Colt Gold Cup SS National Match (picutre of a trophy) "E" Series 80 in "ultimate bright stainless". It's a beautiful gun, and I think the price is right, but I need to know what it is, and functionally how it compares to the Other Gold Cup guns.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think the Trophy gold cups are the newer design and have adjustable bomar sights and a commander style hammer. THe national match gold cup is the older design with smaller elliason adjustable sights, this was made into the series 80 run. All the gold cups have the trophy symbol on the slides.

Enhanced means the gun has features that include a flat top slide, dish grip safety, commander hammers, cuts on the frame for higher hold and some other minor differences. These were made in the 1980s and were when colt was having problems so they standardized the 1911 line by having common features. All the enhanced 1911s from commanders to gold cups had the same features basiclly.

If the stainless gold cup you saw has a hammer like a government model then it is an older series 80. The older guns are more desirable and will still sell for almost what a new one would. I have a friend who has a stainless series 80 with plain stainless finish and have been trying to get him to sell it to me.

If you get it post a pic!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts