Perfect Union banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
I hunt pigs a couple times a month here in SW Fl. and haven't neede anything more than 55gr fmj's or hpbt's. But they also get shot at under 100yds and behind the ear. I run a 20rnd mag and am backed up with a .40 and 30rnds.
So yes .223 will kill a hog at that range with proper shot placement.

Eric

·
Registered
143 Posts
As long as you're hunting with a semi-auto, don't think you have to make a one shot kill every time. Shoot it, then keep shooting it until you know it's dead. Have it in your mind when you line up the first shot that there are going to be two more right after it.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
As long as you're hunting with a semi-auto, don't think you have to make a one shot kill every time. Shoot it, then keep shooting it until you know it's dead. Have it in your mind when you line up the first shot that there are going to be two more right after it.
Not when your hunting for meat.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Muzzle brakes work well for follow up shots. I hit one 3 times in the ribs and it got away in the brush.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
I really like the Barnes Triple shok and MPG penetrate well.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I really like the Barnes Triple shok and MPG penetrate well.
When I was hunting them I was shooting Winchester 64 grain PSP. When I was just out killing nuisance hogs on the golf coarse I shot mostly 5.56 FMJ and some of the green tip. I never had one go more then 20 feet before piling up.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
We went on a hunt in Texas and the 1st time out before I got sighted in we saw a pack running across the field. I started shooting 65 gr sp at them but not hitting. Later I sighted in, I was shooting high. The guy next to me shot a bolt 223 with Hornady 55 gr Vmax and you could hear the hits but they kept running, it made a load smack. It was fun to pop in a 20 rd mag and let go 5-10 shots on a pack. Our group killed 36 hogs in 2 days.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hogs

I have both a Mini-30 and Mini-14. Used both on hogs in Georgia. Nothing bigger than a 200 lb. hog though. I've killed 44 hogs in 10 years of hunting.
My experience is that the Mini-30 with the 7.62 x 39 soft point or ballistic tips stops a hog much better. I have had several one shot kills on a hog out to 75 yards with a Mini-30. I have dropped a hog or two with a head shot with a .223 ballistic tip but that was less than 25 yards. Usually with the Mini-14 I have had to shoot a hog several times. First hit and they squeal like hell and run off in to the bamboo. That's when the fun begins and it takes several shots to finally tag them down onto the ground. The 7.62 x 39 is less inhumane fun because the hogs don't run off as far after being shot. I prefer the .223 Mini-14 to shoot hogs because hogs are the devils pet and it's fun to blast them more than once. Good training. Now if I felt there was a Hogzilla in the area I would take the Mini-30.

·
Banned
412 Posts
that depends on the hog, your ammunition, and on how good a shot you are. I have not used my Mini on hogs, but I have killed quite a few with an AR.
I use a hand loaded Winchester 64 grain SP, and keep shots to less than 100 yards. The hogs have been killed cleanly.
i dint know AR's could leave the benches or safes hmmm... weird

·
Banned
412 Posts
ummm lol ok

21 - 31 of 31 Posts