Perfect Union banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine wants to bed his action and barrel on a stock 10/22. I've tried to convince him not to do it but people obviously do things because they want to try something different. I don't want to see him make a mistake. Do you know any "creditable" articles available for him to read?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Welcome to the forum New Guy. I haven't personally experimented with bedding the stock 10/22, but I will bed both the 10/22's I'm building. The steel bull barrel is fastened via v block to a thin walled aluminum receiver. There is a lot of stress there. I am free floating the barrel then bedding the first 2 or 3 inches of the barrel, and the receiver as well. When I get mine shootable, I will compare before, and after groupage. Check out:

http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/1022bedding.html
http://www.gunsmoke.com/scot/guns/1022/index.html

If your friend wants to try something different, he can compare group size with the barrel band on, then off for an improvement. If he wants to bed it then go for it. I haven't seen a rifle shoot worse after bedding. It really helped my mini-14. Just don't forget to block off all possible mechanical locks to the bedding, and the Release agent, or he will have a 1 piece rifle :eek:. Let us know how it works for your friend, or better yet, he can register, and post the results. ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it looks like the bedding job for my friend is going to be delayed for a couple of weeks because he's going out of town. That's actually a good thing.

This will give me some time to do some experimental shooting Friday and break-in the new barrel. Just for grins, I channeled out the original stock to accept and free float a heavy barrel. NO bedding (glass bedding won't arrive until next week) and only the action bolt will be holding this thing together. This should be a worst case scenario, so we'll see what it can do but I'm betting the results will be very good.

Next week I'm going to glass bed a couple of inches of the barrel near the action bolt and see what happens the following Friday. Personally, I'd bet there won't be much difference other than a snug barrel to action fit may be prolonged somewhat.

If you are interested, I'll post the results.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
yes we would like to hear the results. When I get mine inshooting condition, I will post a before, and after bedding average grouping. I plan to install a bug tuner, and will post the results also, before and after. With the hurricane, and work, it may be a couple more weeks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the testing did not go as planned - good news and bad news. Set up the first (and only) set of targets at 60 yards. Began zeroing the scope when it ran out of adjustment (upwards). That's when I should have known something was up (no pun intended). The five shot groups were coming in around .5 to .7 with regular Winchester ammo and then...... the groups began growing with each shot. My first thought was that I'd become a complete idiot and forgot how to shoot. Then I noticed the retecile in the scope was becoming more and more out of alignment with each shot.

Packed everything up and headed to the house. Bottom line is the gun shot well for a brief period with a free floated barrel without bedding and only the action bolt holding it together. No surprises here.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
.Then I noticed the retecile in the scope was becoming more and more out of alignment with each shot.
What kind of scope do you have? Do you think its cooked? You might want to see if your V block was not seated. One of my barrels fits very snug, and the first time I installed it into the receiver the V block screws were tight, but the V block was not seated, I relossened the screws, and reseated the barrel, and V block. It fits better now. When I'm ready to install for real, I will use loctite blue on the screws so they won't work loose.

Another thing if you are using the std dove tail, scope mount, the scope tends to work loose. A weaver type will work much better, and they don't cost much either.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The scope mounts were the see-thru type. They were on the action tight and they held the scope tight too. The scope internals are toast. It was a BSA Deerhunter 6x24x50. No big loss but the timing it chose to fail was really bad. (Maybe I should count my blessings, it did get me through that last match in pretty good shape:p)

The new mount is one of the Volquartsen barrel mounted scope mounts which requires Weaver style rings. Now the big question is what scope to run down to replace the old one. Need something in the 42/50mm objective lens range that can zoom to at least 24x. 32-36x would be good. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
How about another BSA? :rolleyes: Just kidding. It is tough shoping for a scope, unless money is no object. Ya might want to look at Simmons 44 Mag, for the low end, maby a Weaver V24 or V36 for middle of the road. If you want to try a different throwaway scope the Tasco Varmiter 6-24x42 milldot. No warrentee now days, but they are on clearance sales. Most scopes without AO are set to be paralax free at 100-150 yds, for center fire rifles, unless they are rimfire or air rifle scopes that are set at 50 yds, but are lower power than you might want for target. They would be good hunting scopes though.

You might want to check out your competitors, to see what they shoot with, especially the better shooters.

I'm going to the Houston gun show next month as I like to try before I buy. Here is a link that has some scopes. http://www.swfa.com/ good luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cajungeo, think I'm going to try another BSA scope,haha. To many other things that need doing vs spending a mint on a scope plus I'm the only one I know of that's had this problem. It will be one of the BSA Platinum TS 8.5-34x42 or TS 8.5-34x52 scopes. Probably the first one. FYI, many of the guys here use the Leupolds.

Got the Ruger back from the gunsmith yesterday and he did a good job drilling the barrel and mounting the scope mount. I also had him take a little off the underside of the bolt to help prevent damage to subsequent rounds. Overall, I think it'll be a tack driver by the time it's finished.

On Sunday, the gunsmith showed me a .21" group (50 yd) he shot that day. He could be on the hard side to beat. :)

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Wow, that is good groupage, I'd have ta frame that target!:D

So you had the gunsmith polish the bottom of the bolt so as not to damage the lead bullet? I hadn't thought of that, but I am studying the bolt face, as it seats to the chamber, and the case rim gap. Will do some more studying in these areas before I do anything. I notice a gap on one side of the bolt.

Your mount screws into both the receiver, and barrel? Seems like a very solid arrangement.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I can get my hands on a digital camera, I'll post a picture of the group he shot. He'd be tough to beat.

The gunsmith did a good job removing metal from the underside of the bolt here it passes over the top of the magazine. You can still see where the bolt touches the round in the top of the magazine but is is almost unnoticeable.

The scope mount is attached to the barrel via two set screws. There is a third set screw in the rear of the mount but is is only used as a tensioner. I may not tighten this screw at all and let the front two screws do all the work. That way, if there is any shift between the barrel and action, the scope will still follow the barrel.

Just finished glass bedding the original stock. It should be ready for a test shoot Monday - we are going to test 17 different types of ammo at 50 yds. The Weaver rings arrived today which is good. The scope did not arrive so I'll have to take the scope off the M1A NM (Redfield 3x9 widefield illuminator) and use it Monday. The scope I decided on was the BSA 8.5-34x42 TS. Eventhough it's discontinued, it'll do a good job (hopefully).

I have a tight schedule this week. Sunday - attach scope rings and temporary scope. Monday - test shooting and ordering more ammo to arrive by Thursday. Tuesday/Wednesday - mounting the new scope (when it arrives) and finishing a trigger job and bolt release. Thursday - applying camo tape near the breach end of the barrel to hide the barrel maker and duct tape on the end of the stock where I cut it off (this should really look bad). Friday - sight in the new scope and general testing. Saturday - shooting the meet.

PS. Sorry about being so wordy! At last night's shooters meeting it was made clear not to take the New Guy lightly, haha. Not sure if they were kidding.:(

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I'm ahead of schedule. Finished the trigger job and bolt release last night on a stock trigger assembly last night. The bolt release works flawlessly and the trigger job is something you'd have to feel to believe. Found an old Tasco 4-12x40 scope - now I can leave the M1A as is. Hopefully tomorrow will be a good day, wish us some luck.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Good luck! I got my first coat of sealer on my new stock, will put on another coat tonight. Then some wet sanding to fill the pores. Then maby 6 coats of True oil to finish.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry about the late response.........Well Monday wasn't very good but it wasn't toally bad either. Had major problems with feeding and ejecting. Think (hope) it was due to a dirty match chamber. Despite being forced to shoot one shot at a time, rubbing my elbows raw from shooting prone and only shooting half of the test ammo, I had several groups at 58 yards hit in the same hole. Going to finish tesing the ammo and new scope (mounted last night) this Friday and then shoot the match on Saturday.

To many variables hitting me to close to a match against good shooters. Anyone want to give me odds on how bad they are going to kick my tail?:confused:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I wouldn't worry about winning or loosing, only doing the best I can. The 1st match is more or less a shake down, for you, and your equipment. No one expects a new guy with new equipment to win, so RELAX! the pressure is off. Just learn from this one, and have fun. After its over plan how to improve on the next one.;) Good luck.

BTW I've talked with half a dozen 10/22 shooters at work, and at the range. 5 said a new rifle will ocassionally jam. It will shoot better after you fire a brick of ammo thru it.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
New Guy one thing I forgot was the first shot on 10/22 is manually chambered, and will be a flyer, where as subsequent rnds are recoil chambered. In a match burn the first shot of each mag, then replace round in mag so all 10 of your group will be on target with the same recoil chambering.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts