14 then you will find your joy in the Lord,
and I will cause you to ride in triumph on the heights of the land
and to feast on the inheritance of your father Jacob.”
For the mouth of the Lord has spoken.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
not sure how I feel about it.
I don't have the friends I used to, and don't do much other that get up go to work and repeat. I have tried about every hobby to distract myself but it does not seem to work for long. Someone commented on how I used to be motivated and driven, now I just pray I do not get laid off.
I know there are many worse problems in the world but that does not make me feel better, because, well that sucks.
oh well

alarm clock will be calling soon enough. night all.
sh¡t... All i can say is A-f'n-men brother

·
Registered
30 Posts
I finally realized I'm not getting old, I AM old. Being old gives me certain prerogatives and I'm gonna use them.

I have a right to be lazy, cranky, tired, in pain, and cynical. I earned it.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Few things can relax me like being in a deer stand, or out fishing. Personally, I think those activities are timeless.

Regardless of your age, nothing can compare to being out on the water around sunrise, or watching the sunrise / sunset from a deer stand.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Few things can relax me like being in a deer stand, or out fishing. Personally, I think those activities are timeless.

Regardless of your age, nothing can compare to being out on the water around sunrise, or watching the sunrise / sunset from a deer stand.
Man, I agree 100%. I keep a bird feeder outside my deer blind, and can spend hours watching them. To heck with the deer - unless a huge ones comes along, I'll end up passing for another day. We're very lucky to be able to enjoy the opportunity.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
"Regardless of your age, nothing can compare to being out on the water around sunrise, or watching the sunrise / sunset from a deer stand."

Something to be said for this. I'd rather watch the sunrise from my duck blind than just about anything else. If a wad of widgeon wings high overhead in the splash of new morning color, whistling, then all the better. I'm getting so old that I don't even care if they're in range.

·
Isolationist Libertarian
1,421 Posts
I think I was born with the wrong one, not sure how you change your attitude, lord know I have tried.

When Gray Days Signal a Problem - WSJ.com
I'm west of the river across from Memphis and if you are near here that is a struggle all by itself. Poverty, employer mentality, dangerous streets and a shortage of places encouraging healthy living. I'm a hick so I use the outdoors, if that's no good find someplace to go and force yourself to do it. Once it's a fun habit you won't have to.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think I was born with the wrong one, not sure how you change your attitude, lord know I have tried.

When Gray Days Signal a Problem - WSJ.com
So you know what the problem is due to the posted link. It has nothing to do with age.

You are suffering from some serious depression. Pure and simple.

Get off your butt and get some help. You need meds and counseling and you know it. Fishing for a day or a trip to the woods is not going to solve this problem. Get professional help.

If you don't you are going to spiril out and hurt yourself.

Everyone has to pay the bills. More people hate their jobs than love them. Everyone has some skill they do not have and wish they did. Everyone is worried about being laid off.

Your problems are normal, how you are handling them is not.

Get some help.

·
CantRe Member
618 Posts
The good thing about getting old is......

Not near as many reruns on TV......:D

·
Registered
125 Posts
I use to be just like you . stuck in a dead end job with a house payment car payment ungrateful children and the worse part a loveless marriage . My wife was a saint as good as gold by i didn't' marry a saint I married a friend and partner .Somewhere over 20 + years she devoted her life to God which was great but praying and listening to sermons 24-7 is not my idea of fun . I left her and dated for a while then I found my current girlfriend we have been together for 4 yrs now and it's like I am in high school all over again . We are both in our late 40s but you wouldn"t know it by our life style . She loves to ride on the back of my motorcycle, we jet ski and go out about two times a week . My last wife we never went out and when we did it was a movie dinner and back home . I will never do that again . Anyway my answer is find a woman who is alive and learn how to live . The Job and house that's all secondary . If your not living happy what's the point .

·
CantRe Member
618 Posts
Buy a Harley! You'll be surprised how your life will change....

Here's a little poem.....author unknown~

It's all about the wind…… and the sound, the mystique, and heads turning. It's about being part of a group where each person is an individual. It's camaraderie; it's a solo ride for miles. It's not white knuckles and speed and lightening, its rolling thunder. You feel the hard rockin' music in you, as you feel the rhythms of the road. You're keeping time with the dotted lines, the telephone poles and the fences. It's riding into a small town, where you have never been and people talk to you. Ya hear "nice bike", time after time. You pay for your gas and the cashier says; "Nice day for a ride" You smile to yourself because you already know it. Pulling up in front of "Ma's Diner", the coffee drinkers turn their heads because they hear the rumble. You hear as you walk in "nice bike". While ordering, you hear the waitress's thoughts out loud, unspoken but screaming... "I want to get out of here and feel the freedom of the road; I wish I was riding too, but she just writes down coffee and toast. At home we worry about gas mileage… on the road, on the bike, we live to ride a full tank's worth out, just to fill up and do it again.

Did I mention the smells of the back roads? In the spring the honeysuckles coming into bloom, passing a farm and the smells of growing up in the country bring back all those childhood memories. Riding past a guy mowing his lawn and smelling the fresh cut grass, one whiff and it's gone… what a smell!! None finer.

How many miles, how many smiles… You stop at a traffic light, and just feel the excitement of the ride. A lady rolls her window down in a SUV, with her little boy's nose pressed to the window and waving, says "Nice Bike."

I've learned a few things on my adventures: Like how to tick off a Yuppie: (1) He's putting along in his beamer, on the cell phone with the top down already struggling to hear. You just pull up next to him, drop down in 4th gear , drive along beside him and he will hang up (2) Drive thru upscale neighborhoods in 2nd gear, and listen for every car alarm in the neighborhood to go off… Just cruise on out laughing.

Hmmmm…whom to ride with… The best of the best... Taking a friend for a ride they haven't been on before. Not showing off by driving crazy but driving so they will want to ride with you again. Exploring new places and taking them to neat places that you have discovered over the years and miles in the past. Knowing where to stop for a drink, or a scenic overlook, or a fun hill that will make your gut float.

That's what it's all about, knowing you love to ride with friends that enjoy the many smiles that I have listed above. Sure the hair gets messed up, tangled and looks a fright but who cares…it's blowing in the wind.

I ain't getting' no younger, I figure this is "MY" year to ride, I have plans and dreams…maps and destinations picked out. I can't wait!! Each day is a new destination, and the weather channel is my guide. I will ride for that patch of blue sky. Today I will ride with a coat and gloves, next week it will be a t-shirt. Summer is almost here so who knows where the sun will take me…I say it quietly to myself, as walk to my bike…

As John Wayne would say..."talk is cheap"...............saddle up boys

·
Registered
661 Posts
I'm a firm believer in being as young as you feel, the mindset is the important thing. I'm 45 now 5' 11" 175 lbs, running, biking, hiking working out and having an appreciation of life itself really helps as age creeps up on me. I like to challenge myself to be as good or better physically than the younger crowd and it really energizes me when I am! I just foot raced (50 yard dash) my athletic 17 yr old son and beat him by a step and a half!

Working out releases endorphins that make ya feel good, physical results make ya feel good and achieving goals give a sense of accomplishment. You might want to give it a shot and see what happens.

Never say I'm too old, I'll prove ya wrong!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I just want to retire, but can't afford to do so, and I'm afraid when I am able to do so father time will have run out. It would be nice to have a few years to hunt and fish and loaf. I've had few friends who put thier time in and retired and didn't get to loaf, hunt and fish. I'm still trying figure out a way to make it happen and the years are clicking by. Can't seen to find the brakes. Time marches on.

·
Isolationist Libertarian
1,421 Posts
I am Not that far west but I have been there. I worked down town one summer and saw $h!t I never thought existed in this nation. Some places in memphis are like a thrid world nation. Truely sad, and seemingly very hopeless. I always like to hear of some one from memphis doing well for themself if noting else to give hope to those still there. I lived in Bham once too. It was as bad or worse.
I'm about 45 minutes west of the bridge and I just don't cross it any more than I have to. The whole area around here is like that, Memphis is just the concentrated version. Hope yout job holds together, Toyota seems to have bottomed out and started recovering but my employer isn't replacing any of the people who left so they are running me into the ground.

·
Registered
34,558 Posts
Growing a vegetable garden can help alleviate drudgery overload. Add a chicken coop and it's even better. It promotes frequent exercise and spending a few minutes outdoors with your own food you get to eat or give away. Only two things can go wrong, and that's not anticipating some gets eaten by critters, and trying to do too much.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I hear you loud and clear my friend...

I get down too sometimes as we all do .. lots of pressure to hang on to what you have these days...

Sometimes the best thing to do is to go somewhere and help some one out that could use a break, or even just some company...It doesn't have to be much, something like taking the old lady across the street her paper on a Sunday morning. You could always do some volunteer work.

Holding a door for someone, engaging someone in a conversation. My job gives me a bit of contact with people. If there is time, I always try to ask them about the things that matter to them or maybe about something in their past that they accomplished. You can feel the warmth when people talk about people they love or the things they cherish. It is very uplifting.

A good dog or pet can be a comfort to the soul too..And don't forget music my man!

As for the depression..wouldnt be a bad idea to check with someone or talk with a therapist. No shame there. It is a different world with a whole slew of stresses that weren't there in the past.

I wish you well sir !

·
Registered
59 Posts
it's just a state of mind..doesn't matter if you're in 60's, 70's, 80's or so..it's what you feel that matters..just feel young always and you'll never feel bad about your age..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts