Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pros & Cons of a GB-vs-580 Tactical.
I have a possible opportunity of getting either a blued 580 Tactical (Standard w/ syn stock) or a SS 180series GB. If the funds come available, then I could get the 580 Tac., 2/20rd Ruger Mags, 1/30rd reliable aftermarket, rings, some el cheapo glass, and a hard case all for about $675.oo. The GB comes w/bayo lug, flash supressor, and a holo type sight. It has a Choate heat shield, and a fantastic refinished wood stock, one 20rd SS aftermarket, but the store has 20rd Rugers for $25.oo, so I should be able to walk out with the GB and a three-four mags for about $600.oo. I think this was a pawn item.
The 580 is one I sold to a buddy about a year ago, so I know this gun. It is a shooter. The GB, I have no history on. So I guess this is almost a hypothetical question since there is no actual cash right now, but I may have a little in the coming day...hope to any way. None the less, what say you, purveyors of all things Mini.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would get the 580 tactical; especially since you said that you know that weapon. Plus, the new tactical models are simply sweet looking rifles.

My .02

RO

·
Registered
646 Posts
Love my 581 tactical, definitely a shooter. Go with what you know, I hear the 180 series in not serviced by Ruger anymore either. So if you break a pin or other "restricted" part, all you've got is a heavy, expensive walking stick. :ph34r:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured the 580 Tactical would be my best bet. I just don't know much about the GB's, hence the post. Now I just have to hope the $$ comes in.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
580 tactical that you know will shoot would be the better deal!

·
Registered
665 Posts
I would pass on the #180 series. IIRC, Ruger no longer supports that particular model. So unless your are a collector, parts might be a problem.

The 580 is good to go.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't think they ever made a 180 GB. Someone enlighten me.
You are probably correct. I did not check the ser# on the GB. It has the old style rear sight that looks similar to the M1A sight. Venturing to say I am wrong, is probably an accuracy on your part. Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
273 Posts
OK, I'll be the dissenting vote here. The 180 series is stainless (which counts for a lot to me), has better rear sights and a better-built receiver. Add a strut and it may be the equal of the 580 in shooting accuracy. The only problem is that the price seems a bit high.This is not a slam dunk for the 580. Go to CDNN Investments on-line and check their inventory of GB's.

·
Registered
67 Posts
a little off topic but Ruger doesn't support ANY 180 series anymore?

Is that 180 numbers only or ALL (i.e. 183, 185, 186, etc...)

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
a little off topic but Ruger doesn't support ANY 180 series anymore?

Is that 180 numbers only or ALL (i.e. 183, 185, 186, etc...)
I believe it's only the 180's, I think it has a longer receiver and a few other parts are different.
They still work on the 183, 185, 186, etc...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, I'll be the dissenting vote here. The 180 series is stainless (which counts for a lot to me), has better rear sights and a better-built receiver. Add a strut and it may be the equal of the 580 in shooting accuracy. The only problem is that the price seems a bit high.This is not a slam dunk for the 580. Go to CDNN Investments on-line and check their inventory of GB's.
Don't forget thie 580 has 3 mags, hard case, and the glass though. I think the price would even out with that. Figure $25.oo for the extra Ruger mag, $15.oo for the after market 30rd. mag, $30.oo for the hard case, and then say $50.oo for the 2x20 glass, then add another $25.oo for the transfer fee plus the $625.00 from CDNN..puts you over $700.oo, closer to $750.oo if I went with the CDNN buy. I have thought about that though, should the private seller get away, or my $$ dosen't come in. Still an option.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Where do you guys come up with this utter BS?

I sent in a GB folder for repair to the stock last summer and it was fixed and returned to me in under 2 weeks.

So much for your "support" theories. :lol::lol::lol:

·
Isolationist Libertarian
1,421 Posts
I have both guns right now and I would get the 580 for a shooter. My old GB is a 183 and has a 1 in 10 twist which I understand makes 55gr. ammo your first, best choice. The other big problem with the old GB is the lack of original parts, a clean (stock) Ruger stock and handguard would make it a better buy and if the other posters are correct that may be hard to come by for a 180 if the receiver is longer.

·
Registered
822 Posts
This thread is starting to run off the tracks. To clarify things, the original 180 was never made in the GB configuration. It is no longer supported by Ruger. 181 and up are a different rifle and still fully supported. There were no SS 180's. They are nice rifles and very well made but if it breaks it will be expensive and possibly impossible to repair. Now back to our regular program.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
The SS GB, for sure..... Classic, collectable, and, of course, made of stainless steel, worry free in any climate :lol:

(To me, there is no reason to buy a Mini if it is not stainless. If carbon steel is acceptable, there are many other options I'd pick before a blue mini.)

I was eyeing that gunbroker GB too....:unsure:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The SS GB, for sure..... Classic, collectable, and, of course, made of stainless steel, worry free in any climate :lol:

(To me, there is no reason to buy a Mini if it is not stainless. If carbon steel is acceptable, there are many other options I'd pick before a blue mini.)

I was eyeing that gunbroker GB too....:unsure:
Not on bunbroker. Local pawn shop.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Where do you guys come up with this utter BS?

I sent in a GB folder for repair to the stock last summer and it was fixed and returned to me in under 2 weeks.

So much for your "support" theories. :lol::lol::lol:
Maybe if you read the beginnings of the thread, you wouldn't be posting so many smilys!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I like how some of you guys try to be all cool and "operational" by using "support" instead of just saying "repair." :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts