Perfect Union banner
7K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  kwg020 
#1 ·
Alright Guys I have a Mini 14 183 series gun stainless with a Folding Stock (The A-team gun). I called ruger a little bit ago to confirm that the stock was Original to the gun, he said the computer didn't go back that far but looking at his manual there was a few of the Mini's in the 183 series That came with the folding stock. This being one of them. I have debated on selling it, as I'm moving most of my .223 stuff out in favor of boosting my 7.62x39 stock pile lol. My question is what would be a fair market price for this I've seen everywhere from 800-3000 2000 being the only stainless 183 series folding stock gun I found. The gun is honestly probably in about 95-97% shape does have a few light scratches on the wood no major dings,no pitting on the stainless bore is bright and shiny,Only thing is it doesn't have the factory rear sight looks to have been replaced in the mid to late 80's for a Mark IV red dot, Also have a stainless Heat shield for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here are a few pics

See less See more
Discussion starter · #7 ·
The gas block is a factory original. The early models with the folding stock came with that block, although it is missing the sling loop on the side. I would question it being an actual GB series as the front sight was mounted mid-barrel and a pin slot would be evident. That said a lot of non-GB models were fitted to factory folders; my Mini is an early 580 series wearing an AC556 stock which was never a factory match.

The rifle itself won't command top dollar, but the folder with the proper gas block lower half is kind of a rare find these days. You may find that replacing the gas block and stock and selling the rifle, and putting the stock with the side folder gas block up for auction will net you more money. More people will want the stock than the whole rifle given it's age.
I actually do have the sling loop for the side took it off with a stainless heat shield that was on it when I purchased it but have them sitting in the safe. Not sure about where the pin slot you speak of would be? there is a pin spot or appears to be under the front sight can send a close up picture, If needed

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the welcoming as well and thanks for all the help thus far. I love learning more about firearms that I don't really know well. I'm open to the education

Discussion starter · #10 ·
That is most definitely not a GB model. The stainless GB had a blued front sight/bayonet lug halfway down the barrel and stainless flash hider on the very end - they were not the same piece.

It does appear to be a factory-original folder, though. Only the factory-original folders came with the side-mounted swivel on the gas block. Later models the swivel was on the bottom like on the regular fixed-stock Mini's, but in the day of the 183 series the folder came with a swivel mounted on the side of the gas block.

The flash hider/bayonet lug combo shown looks a lot like the John Masen aftermarket model. Either way, it is not original Ruger.

Modified as such and missing the factory rear sight and factory swivel on the gas block, it should command a lower price than an unmodified, original-folder 183 series.

M
Is it possible it was a factory Gb and they just switched over the front sight back in the 80's or 90's ? What would you value it at?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.