Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking at the eleventy-billion previous threads about "what magazines work", it appears there is no simple answer aside from "just buy a factory mag." My "what makes a faulty magazine" thread led to the idea of this little endeavor. The idea is more of a data-gathering than conversation. I plan to put the information into a spreadsheet or chart of some kind if this works out well enough. As far as I can tell, this hasn't been done yet, at least not with this specific information.

Please make sure to be as specific as possible. For example, in many of the previous posts guys talk about their "ProMags" but never specify if they are talking about the steel or polymer version.

The idea is to make it so a guy with for example, a 197 series mini in a Strikeforce stock could look at this chart and see if there are any mags that generally work or generally don't in that particular series and stock.

It will be an interesting experiment, anyway.

If you wish to participate, just post the following information, as specifically as possible:

What mini do you have, and what kind of stock is it in?

What magazines have you tried (aside from factory ones) and what were the results? Have you successfully modded an unreliable magazine to make it reliable? If so, how?

Thanks for your help, if you choose to participate.

Joe

·
American realist
316 Posts
ruger mini 30
189 series
factory wood stock:
"USA" brand pre-ban 30 rd steel mags that worked flawlessly
10 rd steel promag also worked flawlessly

ruger mini 14
580 series (late tapered barrel)
factory synthetic stock
CDNN 20 rd steel "straight" mags #JB1420 worked flawlessly in an initial test last weekend.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Minis 196 standard model with Hogue stock and target models work with Promag and factory steel 20 and stock 5 rd mags.

Mini 6.8 only my stock 5 works well, Promags 20 have a tilt problem I will have look for better followers to fix.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Target Model,bedded in an unknown brand laminate stock in approx. factory contour: factory 5's, ss ProMag 10 rounders,work perfectly. CC 20 rounders about 85%.
Mini-30 6.5 Grendel conversion pillar bedded in a custom left hand laminate Mannlicher style stock: hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...Factory 5 7.62 mags work with 3 rounds max most of the time sometimes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mini 14 tactical 581 series

Ruger steel mags work perfect of course

Thermold 30 round nylon mags
-These feel cheap and light but I have 6 of these and they've all worked perfectly with the original ruger synthetic stock as well as the ATI strikeforce stock I have

Tapco GenII's
I have 2 of these mags and they definitely feel higher quality then the thermolds. Both of these work great in my ATI stock however it is a very tight fit and it takes a bit of extra push to seat the mags into the rifle. A few times the bolt failed to lock back on one of the mags but I still have these loaded at the ready as they've functioned completely reliably aside from that.

·
Registered
298 Posts
185 Series SS Mini-14 - Standard
Choate Full length Pistol Grip Stock

(10) Vintage Thermold 30 rd Magazines: All work with no issues
(10) Pre 1994 Steel 30 rd Magazines: Unknown Makes - All work after rifle was broke in

189 Series Mini-30 Ranch
Factory Wood Lam Stock

(5) USA Steel 30 rd Magazines: Work well with brass, pick with steel case ammo

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
After looking at the eleventy-billion previous threads about "what magazines work", it appears there is no simple answer aside from "just buy a factory mag." My "what makes a faulty magazine" thread led to the idea of this little endeavor. The idea is more of a data-gathering than conversation. I plan to put the information into a spreadsheet or chart of some kind if this works out well enough. As far as I can tell, this hasn't been done yet, at least not with this specific information.

Please make sure to be as specific as possible. For example, in many of the previous posts guys talk about their "ProMags" but never specify if they are talking about the steel or polymer version.

The idea is to make it so a guy with for example, a 197 series mini in a Strikeforce stock could look at this chart and see if there are any mags that generally work or generally don't in that particular series and stock.

It will be an interesting experiment, anyway.

If you wish to participate, just post the following information, as specifically as possible:

What mini do you have, and what kind of stock is it in?

What magazines have you tried (aside from factory ones) and what were the results? Have you successfully modded an unreliable magazine to make it reliable? If so, how?

Thanks for your help, if you choose to participate.

Joe
I have a 190 series stainless ranch in an ati ultimate stock. I have 20 rd ruger mags that all function with a variety of milsurp and factory loads. I have several 20 rd promag steel mags that function as well as th ruger mags. I have 1 30 rd nickle finish cheapo that would FTF when it got down to less than 10 rds. I fixed that mag with some scotch brite and a bit of bending. The follower was snagging on what I would call excess plating residue.
CHill

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a 186-series mini with factory folding stock. So far what has worked and what I prefer:

Works-
40rd PMI/Bingham/Fed Ord blued steel
40rd Triple K blued steel
20&30rd Ruger Blued Factory Mags
30rd PMI

My Preferences-
40rd Triple K's
30rd PMI's
20rd Factories (i prefer 30-40rds but these are high quality & a conveniently sized mag for low rests off the bench)
30rd Factories (if i have the extra cash)
I will probably replace my Bingham 40s w/ Triple K 40s to ensure solid, new springs and better locking once my last 30s arrive... Hopefully soon! :)

*30's arrived! I can now say the bulk of my magazines are PMI and so far, they run flawless w/ the only FTFs being 1 each on the Bingham 40s (probably from the weakened springs) after 2 reloads each emptied "quick-fire"; very simple and quickly resolved= Good training experience, not a mag failure*

·
Registered
42 Posts
i've got a 581 series factory ati tactical

i bought some Masen 30rd mags from a gun show. had good experience with their 20's, figured the 30's would be just as good.

HORRIBLE. the powdercoating didnt adhere properly and was peeling off in quarter sized pieces. loading and cycling by hand, the followers were sticky. fit in the mag well, the spot weld interfered with lockup. luckily, they replaced them with some 20's.

doesnt mean that i'll buy them again.

i did buy some of the $10 NAT1420, 20's from CDNN and those things fit great. they're blued. a little adjustment to the feed lips (which isnt a big deal to me) and these things are almost as functionally nice as a factory mag. i havent taken them apart to see if they have a no-tip follower.

i have some Tapco 30 mags, but i'm not certain of the generation. functionally they work great but their drawback is in the longterm storage when loaded. the feedlips start to spread under spring pressure and they randomly coughs up rounds. just not enough strength at that end. when in a mag well, no problems with the spreading.

as a side note, the 20's fit nicely in a molle IFAK pouch. i can get 5 in a pouch.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a 582-series Tactical and a 185-series Mini. Of course factory mags are flawless in both. Here's how my others work:

Tactical (factory black synthetic stock, NOT ATI):
National Magazine 20-round SS: works 99% of the time
CDNN JB1420 20-round steel: works flawlessly
CDNN JB1430 30-round steel: works flawlessly
Precision Mag Industries (PMI) 30-round steel: works 99% of the time
Tapco Gen II 30-round polymer: does NOT work

185-series (wood stock):
National Magazine 20-round SS: works most of the time, but only if I load 19 rounds
CDNN JB1420 20-round steel: works flawlessly
CDNN JB1430 30-round steel: works flawlessly
Precision Mag Industries (PMI) 30-round steel: works 99% of the time
Tapco Gen II 30-round polymer: works most of the time

·
Registered
663 Posts
ruger mini 14
581 SS
Factory Synthetic Stock
My 2 ProMag steel 20 rounders work great, no issues!

·
Registered
4 Posts
581 Series, Model 5858, Stainless w/factory laminate stock.

Factory 5's, 10's, 20's, and 30's all work flawlessly.

I also have 10 Thermold 30's. I have fired each of them at least 4 times fully loaded. I have not had even one problem with any of them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the replies, guys. I will try to get a spreadsheet with the data we've got so far. I ended up ordering 3 of the jb1420 mags from cdnn- just a few hours before the price jump and the huge "we might run out of this stuff" notice appeared on their site. I wanted to get some factory mags, but $$$ is an issue right now. These seem to have good reviews, so we'll see....

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't think you'll be disappointed in the JB1420s - they've worked flawlessly in both my Minis and they look cool as they're straight (makes 'em look more like M-14/M1A). Yesterday I bought 3 Thermold 30-rounders from Sportsman's Guide ($22 for all three). I'll let you know how they work once I get them...

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
580- Mini-14 Tactical
Factory Sporter synthetic stock

Promag Synthetic 20 rnd (purchased two)
...they suck. Period. Get more than 10 rounds in them and the feed lips spread under the force of the follower spring. Rounds go flying everywhere.
No way to fix crap.

Promag Steel 20 rnd (given 4 by Promag when the synthetics failed miserably)
These mags function flawlessly. Every bit as good as the factory mags IME.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't think you'll be disappointed in the JB1420s - they've worked flawlessly in both my Minis and they look cool as they're straight (makes 'em look more like M-14/M1A). Yesterday I bought 3 Thermold 30-rounders from Sportsman's Guide ($22 for all three). I'll let you know how they work once I get them...
Received my Thermold mags today. They load fine and fit/cycle perfectly in my 185-series Mini. The fit is a little tight in my 582-Tactical, but they do eventually fit and cycle fine. They look awesome! I'll report back once I use them at the range.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.