Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a Norinco type 56 that I cannot remove the gas tube/hand guard. I have a manual and asked online on other forums. I have followed the instructions to a "t" , but have been unsuccessful. Is there some way this could be jammed? I have tried everything..even prying. It will not budge. Im at a loss. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sean

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the same problem with my newest Norc. It seems that somebody pushed the whole thing down too far and it's canted downwards a bit instead of level like it should be. I tried whacking it with a rubber mallet but that doesn't work because it distributes the force unevenly, so I'd need a yoke of some sort. I haven't really tried harder to remove it because I don't want to further damage the wood like the previous owner did. Sorry I can't help you but I would like an answer too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

Yeah, I flipped the lever. I have the manual, and followed it exactly. No luck. I give up on these things. I just purchased a mini-14, so this thing is gone. Thanks anyway.

SEan

·
Registered
266 Posts
huh? I had the same proplem with mine at first all I did was work the lever back and forth as I wiggled the gas tube eventualy I found the sweet spot and she let loose.

·
Moderator and Super Member
7,547 Posts
Sounds like my Russian. The lever can go TOO far, and I have to keep from going all the way around to get the HG off. Could this be it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I finally got mine apart by putting leverage down upon the rifle barrel and pulling the handguard up. It was tough to get back in, too. It must have never been cleaned before.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I got it off! It was tough though and it will be again.

Here's how I did it:
Apply enough downward pressure on the barrel to temporarily bend it! I did this by wrestling it in my lap. I rested the forward part of the handguard above my left leg, the end of the barrel under my elbow, and my right leg over the buttstock. Then I applied pressure downward with both my left arm and right leg. Then the tube came right out with my right hand.

Understand?

There's probably a lot of barrel tension holding the tube in TIGHT!

I know it will be a take a lot of elbow grease to disassemble mine again.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Put the rifle in a vise, then whack the lever using a rubber mallot on a brass punch. Your problem is common on New or as new rifles that aren't broken in yet. Same thing goes for trigger group removal. Good luck!

·
Registered
524 Posts
On my common Norinco, I very Slowly move the small black locking lever back and forth, as the other hand gently lifts upwards on the gas tube. There is a specific angle of the small lever which allows the tube to be lifted.

Be aware that when it finally comes loose, the small, short piston spring might suddenly and quietly pop out of the same area.
The spring can fly about four-five feet, so keep it pointed away from your face.

Have you guys watched the excellent photos on "Surplusrifle"?
There are also some good videos on Youtube.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I can't get mine off either
type 56 caked with cosmoline

I have it otherwise stripped and cleaned and the barreled action out if the stock but I can't get the damn gas tube off. It's like there's something stuck inside the gas block keeping it from coming up and off

taking it to a smith unless someone has a bright idea
I've tried everything
It wiggles loose but will not come off

·
Honor our Constitution !
4,403 Posts
have you tried a few light taps with a small rubber hammer?

·
Registered
69 Posts
i did

it appears the gas piston is stuck in a position where its slightly inside the gas block, keeping the tube from releasing up. its just out of the cosmoline so i do not know whether the piston spring is missing. i wound up taking it to a gunsmith, he says all he can do is unpin the ferrule and back it out that way

hopefully its just stuck in carbon or cosmo

·
Honor our Constitution !
4,403 Posts
hope it works out.....

mine has about 1/16" "gap" in the lever movement where it will "loosen"....then the lever has to be re-positioned to another 1/16" gap to release.
it's a '59 Romini.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
i did

it appears the gas piston is stuck in a position where its slightly inside the gas block, keeping the tube from releasing up. its just out of the cosmoline so i do not know whether the piston spring is missing. i wound up taking it to a gunsmith, he says all he can do is unpin the ferrule and back it out that way

hopefully its just stuck in carbon or cosmo
Maybe just leave it in a hot car (on newspapers) for a while might help.

Reactions: freesw

·
Banned
34,348 Posts
I was thinking heat also, but perhaps more directed, like with a heat gun (which many surplus rifle owners already have for cosmoline removal), or even a hair dryer might be hot enough to melt it.

·
Honor our Constitution !
4,403 Posts
acetone bath followed by light oiling would work too......long as there's no plastic.......

·
Registered
69 Posts
gunsmith got it off
the gas piston was stuck in the gas block, and the piston extension and spring are missing

that'd do it i guess...
off to numrich

1 - 20 of 21 Posts