Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a gas port kit,shok buffer and trigger job from Mike.
I mailed my trigger group out last thursday and got it all back in one week. Cant get any fast than that(7 days counting the week end) trigger feels great will let you all know how it shoots.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
It will shoot better, and when you adjust your recoil with the gas bushing kit, see how fast you get on the next shot. Yeah!

·
Registered
716 Posts
If you order both at the same time, the rate right now is $50.00. I just boxed up my trigger group a few minutes ago for shipment to him tomorrow.

FedEx 'er out there!

My question is: won't the smaller orifice affect the ballistics too? Since not as much gas is going into throwing the action back, then it must be going somewhere else. It must be going out the barrel behind the bullet, right? Thus it must affect the velocity of the bullet itself. I don't know - maybe its too minor to be a factor.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Yes it will increase the velocity, but not enough to notice unless you use a chronagraph. Only a few ft/sec. Don't loose those little buggers. I kept the factory bushing for "just in case". My mini being new I used the largest one. If I develope a hot load, or as my mini ages, I can step down some.

·
Registered
716 Posts
How many sizes of orifice are included in the kit he ships? I had the impression three sizes.

Also, what effect does the trigger job have on pull? I estimated mine using a bucket of water hung from the trigger group: gradually filled it with more water until it dropped the hammer, and then weighed it - figured at about 5.25# of pull. Not sure if this is a good way of measuring this or not.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Mike says, he stone laps the mating trigger group parts, and changes out the trigger spring, and checks trigger pull before, and after. My new mini was 11 lbs, now 3 1/2 lbs. It was a big difference. It feels smooth now.
You get 3 different sizes of gas bushings.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Cajun,

How do I get that stubborn factory gas port orifice out of the gas block? It won't budge! I tried pliers, breakfree, heating it up. Everything short of a stick of dynamite.

·
Registered
427 Posts
That's a very interesting problem you've got there. Mine falls out and tries to find a dark crack for camoflage. Kinda like a spider.

I've tried every chemical at the auto parts store to dissolve burned carbon - nothing will touch burned carbon. That black stuff is really amazing. I wish I could reprocess it and used tires into 2x4 studs.

So I'd go straight for Hoppe's number 9. If Hoppe's didn't cost so much, I'd soak everything in a vat. It's over $200 a gallon, so I'd wrap a cloth around the bushing and soak the cloth. Refresh it twice a day to keep it moist. After a day or 2, I'd try 2 gentle but persuasive whacks, look at it with a magnifying glass, and see if there are any cracks in the carbon.

Rust may be a factor here, so I'd exercise a little patience. Satan, you are treading new territory here. Please let us know how it turns out. And if you've got any dynamite left over, I'd like to see if dynamite really goes off when you shoot it, like in the movies.

KC :D

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Sorry, I've been away most of the day, I fumigated my house. I live in the woods, and the roaches here I kid you not get up to 5 inches long. Ye has ta take de cure once n a while, specially when day r running across my face n de nite. I got a 3 inch albino, I'm takin ta work fer de orkin man ta see, as it looks so special.
Now you shure you have the right part, the lil bushing, not the gas piston? the gas bushing is common to the hole in the barrel, and fits into the gas piston. You can't get the gas piston out till you extract the gas bushing. If you have the right part, I'd stop by walmart or an autoparts, and get some Liquid Wrench, and soak it over night if the Hope dosen't work. Kalif has the right idea, soak it over night, then tap it with a hammer, Be careful not to damage the gas piston. I think the liquid wrench will penetate the carbon or rust better, if the Hoppe dosen't work. When you reinstall the gas block, remember to loctite (blue stuff in red bottle) the threads. Torque screws evenly to 17 to 25 in lbs (snug not squeeking tight), use a feeler guage for even gap all the way around between the gas block halves. Let us know if this does or not.

·
Registered
567 Posts
If you're dealing with stubborn carbon search the auto parts stores (NAPA) for some "CRC Brake Cleaner". It works pretty good. "CAUTION!!!!"
Don't get this stuff on any plastic, rubber or paint that you're fond of! There is something even better by CRC but it's three times more expensive & doesn't work that much better. The brake cleaner should run you arounf $4.00 for a large spray can.

Good luck
Bushwack

·
Registered
716 Posts
Come on Cajungeo, of course I have the right part... :confused:

I have it sitting in a bowl of Hoppes #9, covered up to the gas piston. I bought about a dozen bottles of Hoppes at $1.00 each when a local sporting goods store went out of business. Its been sitting in it all day but still wont budge. I have to leave town for a week tomorrow, I'll just cover the bowl and let 'er sit for a week.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Just pullen yer chain satan. :D Soaking it for a week should do it. Say, as soon as you get back, I need to leave for a week.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I work at an Acura dealer,
I live up North now but when I lived in NC I used to see a lot of carbon clogged intake and EGR ports when we need to kill really tough and thick carbon we used Chevy top engine cleaner. It WILL get every last bit of everything not metal off of you're parts. It doesn't hurt bluing as I've used it to clean all of my dirty gun parts.
It's about $10 retail for about 12ounces I believe (I'm not sure I got it for free at work and stocked up before I left!).

·
Registered
716 Posts
I finally got the bushing out. It soaked for a week in Hoppes No. 9 and then I took it out of its bath, brushed off the big chunks of carbon, used some brake cleaner and let 'er soak another two days in Hoppes. I vacuum sealed the jar so that any little air bubbles would be forced out and replaced with Hoppes.

I brought it out of the jar, two taps and the thing fell out. Man what a pain! I think I'll try to clean this part more regularly - although that will require removing/replacing my gas block a lot. Oh well...

The drawback is, I didn't get to use any dynamite. :(

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Sorry steve for the lack of response to your question, we have been out of town for a week, and so has alot of other members. If you are refering to Mike Knifong of Northwest Shooters Support, he dosen't have a web site yet, but you can E-mail at [email protected] . Welcome to our forum;)
satan am glad ya got that lil bugger out o der! My mini is 7 mo old, but am going to take it apart every year to detail clean, so maby mine won't give me such a pain.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts